Steve's Bookshelf 2011

Karsa Orlong

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Lancelot too! :giggle2::giggle2:

Don't get me started on Lancelot! What a total, utter bar steward he is :irked::lol:

I finished Enemy of God yesterday. Shall come back and review it later. Started the last book, Excalibur, this morning :cool:

Enemy of God by Bernard Cornwell

This is the second book in Cornwell's 'Warlord Chronicles' trilogy. It picks up immediately after the climax of The Winter King, in the aftermath of the battle of Lugg Vale. Arthur's dream of a united Britain seems to be drawing closer as he makes peace with Powys and reveals his plans for Siluria. Once he has achieved this he intends turning his attentions to the Saxon invaders in the east, but his plans may fall apart if Lancelot and Guinevere don't follow his lead. Meanwhile, Derfel is swayed when Merlin offers him his heart's desire - but only if he accompanies the wizard on a dangerous quest.

This book does everything the second part of a trilogy should do. From the beginning it seems determined to lead the protagonists into the deepest, darkest places possible, whether physically or emotionally, and still Cornwell manages to pull it off deftly. The conflict between Paganism and Christianity begin to have a major effect on proceedings, and the book covers a number of years after the events of Lugg Vale, so the characters grow a lot over its course. None of these developments are forced or unnatural, and I really love the way Cornwell handles the passage of time, describing the events of the intervening years without the need to resort to either dates or a typical 'Five years later ...' trick.

In the end it's the characters that are the winners, I think. He juggles events in their personal lives and massive, landscape-changing events so easily that I was just swept along. Of course, being the middle book in a trilogy, you know you will ultimately be left wanting to know what happens and I did feel, perhaps, that the ending was a little rushed. Also, I found myself wanting to read more about Morgan, but she is largely relegated to the sidelines. Having said that, Arthur, Guinevere, Galahad, Merlin and Nimue all get plenty of attention, Lancelot continues to infuriate me (in a good way!), and Mordred ... well, that would be telling :wink:

Fate is inexorable, so Merlin says, and Cornwell plays with this theme throughout the book, and it makes for some extremely tense moments. There were at least two occasions whilst reading this book that I could feel my heart thumping with the excitement, which is a big compliment to the quality of the writing, in my opinion.

I would be tempted to knock maybe half a point off due to the slightly rushed ending, but that seems a bit churlish. It's just as good as The Winter King, and viewing the book as the second part of a trilogy it is pretty much flawless. I suspect that Cornwell planned where each book would end, but actually wrote the whole trilogy as one book, because his style, his characters and the world don't falter for an instant from the end of one book to the start of the next.

Brilliant, brilliant stuff.

10/10

Excalibur By Bernard Cornwell

I don't think I can add anything that I haven't already said in my reviews of the first two books (above). I finished this in the early hours of this morning, determined to read the final 100 pages or so in one sitting. Glad I did. All I can say, really, is that I think this goes down as one of the most memorable and consistently brilliant trilogies I have read. I'm sad it's over, but look forward to re-reading it in the future. That will be, of course, after I've read some of Cornwell's other books! :D

All sorts of awesome.

10/10

The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker

After those three hefty tomes I fancied something quick to read, so I chose this novella which was the basis for Barker's Hellraiser movie. It's a long, long time since I saw that film, but I was surprised by how much I remembered. It reads very well. It's a fairly unpleasant love triangle, it has to be said. Moving into the family home, Julia is trapped in a loveless marriage to Rory. He does not know that she had a fling with his missing black-sheep brother, Frank, who had briefly lived in the house a year before. Frank had been in possession of a mysterious puzzle box which he believed would give him access to other realms of pleasure. Needless to say, he opened it ...

This all happens in the first few pages, and to go beyond that would spoil what is a very fast read. It is, perhaps, not scary, but it is quite unsettling, and is very well written. I thought that Julia was not given enough motivation for what she does in the story, which renders her more of a plot device rather than a character, and evokes nothing in the way of sympathy. Apart from that, it has done enough to convince me to check out some of Barker's heftier works.

8/10

Over the last week I have read:

Lord Foul's Bane by Stephen Donaldson

A friend of mine has raved at me for over 20 years about this book, saying it's the best fantasy book ever and he couldn't see the point in reading any other fantasy after this as it wouldn't match up. Well, it's his loss. I thought I was really going to enjoy it at the start. It's the first of Donaldson's Thomas Covenant books. Thomas Covenant is a leper, outcast and feared, who gets thrown into a fantasy world where he suddenly finds that everyone believes him to be the second coming who will save their world. I thought this was a great idea, but it soon develops into a bog-standard quest (think LotR with added misery) which quickly began to bore me. I had trouble getting into the characters at all, especially Covenant, who spends the entire book feeling sorry for himself and snarling at people. At one point, early on, he even rapes a young girl. Donaldson apologists would probably say that this is part of the daring that sets these books on a different level. I would say that it's the second of Donaldson's books that I've read (after his first GAP book, The Real Story), and both have involved rape. The author seems to have some serious issues, to me.

To top it all, his writing style is so dense and overly-verbose that it soon becomes the literary equivalent of wading through treacle. I'm not sure why I stuck with it to the end, but I doubt very much that I'll be reading any of the subsequent books.

3/10

A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens

I don't think I really need to say anything about this. We all know the story, what happens, how it ends. It's a wonderfully uplifting Christmas story, beautifully written.

8/10

And now I'm halfway through Guy Gavriel Kay's Sailing to Sarantium, which I had been saving and saving as a treat for myself as he is such a marvellous writer. And it's my 77th book of the year, which means I've topped last year's total :D

I agree that the rape in Lord Foul's Bane was distasteful, but it is the only instance of anything like that in the whole series -

<p>and it is vital to the plot in later books.<br></p><p></p>

I was reading this when I was about 15, and my father picked up the book and leafed through it, landing at that scene of course. He was appalled and refused to believe that was the only time anything remotely like that happened!

The Gap series is another matter altogether, and if you didn't like the vibe of the first book, I very much doubt whether you would enjoy any of the others.

I agree that the rape in Lord Foul's Bane was distasteful, but it is the only instance of anything like that in the whole series -

<p>and it is vital to the plot in later books.<br></p><p></p>

I was reading this when I was about 15, and my father picked up the book and leafed through it, landing at that scene of course. He was appalled and refused to believe that was the only time anything remotely like that happened!

Thanks Ooshie :smile: The rape was distasteful, but it wasn't the only problem for me. I think my friend has built these books up to such an extent that I was expecting to be amazed, but I've read so many fantasy books in recent years which I think are better than this that it was never going to happen. I just don't like Donaldson's writing, I guess. I think, for me, the book was pretty soulless. I couldn't sympathise with any of the characters (apart from the victim of the rape, obviously), it lacked heart, and the quest itself was tedious. I felt the story was crying out for a character with a sense of humour, but they all take themselves so seriously. Any fantasy novel that lacks humour is asking for trouble. All my opinion, of course - I know a lot of people rate these books very highly.

That's interesting! I guess I might have felt a lot different about it if I'd read it when I was younger. When I was 15 I was reading David Eddings' Belgariad. That was my introduction to fantasy, and I'm a little scared to go back to them now, 30 years later, in case it ruins my memories of them :smile:

Like Ooshie I read them all many years ago when I was a teenager and liked them, though in hindsight I can see how they are distasteful to read with scenes like that. However I haven't been tempted to read the latest installment I have to admit. Though one of his books which is a much darker but more traditional fantasy is The Mirror of her Dreams and A Man rides Through which are good and I have re-read them.

Go on re-read the Belgariad, I am tempted too sometimes especially as some one on here was reading them for the first time and brought me back to them very nostalgically

Go on re-read the Belgariad, I am tempted too sometimes especially as some one on here was reading them for the first time and brought me back to them very nostalgically

Yes, me too. I think you and I actually commented on it at the time :lol: My first memory of my mate, mentioned above (the one who raves about Thomas Covenant), was when I was reading one of the Mallorean books and he walked up to me and told me what a pile of poo it was (he hadn't read it) and that I should be reading TC instead. Book snobbery - it's the worst kind of snobbery I reckon! :lol:

I finished Sailing to Sarantium a couple of days ago (the first in Guy Gavriel Kay's 'Sarantine Mosaic' two-parter) and have now started the second, Lord of Emperors. No way I'll finish it before 2012, so I'll review them in one go when I start my thread for next year :smile:

Like Ooshie I read them all many years ago when I was a teenager and liked them, though in hindsight I can see how they are distasteful to read with scenes like that. However I haven't been tempted to read the latest installment I have to admit. Though one of his books which is a much darker but more traditional fantasy is The Mirror of her Dreams and A Man rides Through which are good and I have re-read them.

Yes, me too. I think you and I actually commented on it at the time :lol: My first memory of my mate, mentioned above (the one who raves about Thomas Covenant), was when I was reading one of the Mallorean books and he walked up to me and told me what a pile of poo it was (he hadn't read it) and that I should be reading TC instead. Book snobbery - it's the worst kind of snobbery I reckon! :lol:

I finished Sailing to Sarantium a couple of days ago (the first in Guy Gavriel Kay's 'Sarantine Mosaic' two-parter) and have now started the second, Lord of Emperors. No way I'll finish it before 2012, so I'll review them in one go when I start my thread for next year :smile:

Stop it, you two! I already have so many books to read that I probably don't need to add any to my list for the next decade - and here you are making me all nostalgic for books I have loved!

I loved the Belgariad when I was younger, although I'm not sure whether I still have the books, and had forgotten all about The Mirror of her Dreams/A Man rides through which I know I still have. I tried to reread The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay a couple of years ago, but again couldn't really get into the first book.

Maybe 2012 is the year I need to make an effort to get back into a genre I enjoyed so much for so many years. :)

I

Stop it, you two! I already have so many books to read that I probably don't need to add any to my list for the next decade - and here you are making me all nostalgic for books I have loved!

I loved the Belgariad when I was younger, although I'm not sure whether I still have the books, and had forgotten all about The Mirror of her Dreams/A Man rides through which I know I still have. I tried to reread The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay a couple of years ago, but again couldn't really get into the first book.

Maybe 2012 is the year I need to make an effort to get back into a genre I enjoyed so much for so many years. :)

I know what you mean I occasionally delve into the fantasy genre but never with as much enthusiasm as I used to not even sure where to start anymore maybe I will make more of an effort in the Ny too.

I remember being so far ahead of the Mallorean when it came out I waited for ages for the third book couldn't afford the hardback so got one of the first bigger paper backs

I know what you mean I occasionally delve into the fantasy genre but never with as much enthusiasm as I used to not even sure where to start anymore maybe I will make more of an effort in the Ny too.

Funnily enough, I was thinking of maybe reading less fantasy myself this coming year. I think the problem with fantasy is that the genre is flooded and probably 80 or 90% of the books that get published are just poorly written rip-offs of what has gone before. Some of the books I've read, I'm amazed that publishers have gone anywhere near them.

I can't recommend Guy Gavriel Kay enough, though. Ooshie, I haven't read it but, from what I understand, Fionovar Tapestry is more traditional fantasy than the ones I have read, which have been historical fantasy. Maybe you'd like something like A Song for Arbonne or The Lions of Al-Rassan more?

read somewhere that there will be a new Jo Nesbo out this year. Happy days

Oh jolly good! I haven't read Headhunters yet, have you?

Off to start my 2012 thread ...

http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/9623-steves-bookshelf-2012/page__gopid__282073

Edited by Karsa Orlong

• 4 months later...

Finally got round to reading your 2011 book reviews Steve. Some great reviews, I have already added plenty of authors you've suggested to my wish list, this thread also made me add Neal Asher and Alastair Reynolds.

Now for 2012... how is that thread possible up to 13 pages already?