~Weave's World of Books 2011~

Weave

Have you ever seen The United States of Tara, Weave and Peace? I think I've raved about it before. It's a fictional show about a woman (Toni Collette) with multiple personalities. It's a brilliant show and is both funny and heartbreaking.

I've seen another book around on the subject but can't recall the details.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever seen The United States of Tara, Weave and Peace? I think I've raved about it before. It's a fictional show about a woman (Toni Collette) with multiple personalities. It's a brilliant show and is both funny and heartbreaking.

I've heard a lot about it and have seen ads for it, Kylie, but haven't watched it myself. It sounds intriguing though so I think I might have to look for it on Netflix.

I tried to read Sybil many years ago and couldn't make it through it. I don't remember why. Was it written by Sybil herself - I vaguely remember it seeming quite chaotic and therefore I couldn't keep track. Actually maybe I ma confusing it with another book on multiple personalilty which was called When Rabbit Howls.

I've seen another book around on the subject but can't recall the details.

Hi Kylie, how are you? :) I have heard of 'The United States of Tara' but I have never seen it, I will keep an eye out for it, thanks Kylie :) I have heard of two other books on the subject 'When Rabbit Howls' by Truddi Chase (which ladymacbeth mentioned) and 'The Minds of Billy Milligan' by Daniel Keyes, I would like to read them at some point. :)

I've heard a lot about it and have seen ads for it, Kylie, but haven't watched it myself. It sounds intriguing though so I think I might have to look for it on Netflix.

:)

I tried to read Sybil many years ago and couldn't make it through it. I don't remember why. Was it written by Sybil herself - I vaguely remember it seeming quite chaotic and therefore I couldn't keep track. Actually maybe I ma confusing it with another book on multiple personalilty which was called When Rabbit Howls.

Hi ladymacbeth, how are you? 'Sybil' was written by Flora Rheta Schreiber, a friend of her psychiatrist, I thought her thoughts quite chaotic too. :)

Hi Kylie, how are you? :) I have heard of 'The United States of Tara' but I have never seen it, I will keep an eye out for it, thanks Kylie :) I have heard of two other books on the subject 'When Rabbit Howls' by Truddi Chase (which ladymacbeth mentioned) and 'The Minds of Billy Milligan' by Daniel Keyes, I would like to read them at some point. :)

Hmm, neither of those sound familiar, but I'd be interested to read both, especially The Minds of Billy Milligan. I'm not sure why I've never looked up other books by Daniel Keyes when I loved Flowers for Algernon so much.

They make them give back their pensions ?

:giggle2:

They make them give back their pensions ?

Kinda and their right to shop ;)

Hmm, neither of those sound familiar, but I'd be interested to read both, especially The Minds of Billy Milligan. I'm not sure why I've never looked up other books by Daniel Keyes when I loved Flowers for Algernon so much.

:giggle2:

I love 'Flowers for Algernon' too Kylie, fantastic book :) I found 'The Minds of Billy Milligan' when I was looking for something else and bam! there it was. :)

Edited by Weave

I went back to the bookshop yesterday to have another look at the book about multiple personalities disorder. It's called Today I'm Alice by Alice Jamieson. It seems to be highly rated and I'm very tempted to buy it, despite the fact that's a large hardcover book. :)

I went back to the bookshop yesterday to have another look at the book about multiple personalities disorder. It's called Today I'm Alice by Alice Jamieson. It seems to be highly rated and I'm very tempted to buy it, despite the fact that's a large hardcover book. :)

Hi Kylie, how are you? Thank you for the title, it sounds interesting, I just added it to my wishlist. :)

The Abused Werewolf Rescue Group by Catherine Jinks ~ Started: 04.07.11 ~ Finished: 08.07.11

49.jpg

Synopsis ~

A werewolf? I kept stumbling over that word; it made no sense to me. How could I be a werewolf? Werewolves didn't exist. When Tobias Vandevelde wakes up in hospital with no memory of the night before, he is told that he was found unconscious. In a zoo pen. The doctor rules out epilepsy and Toby's prank-loving friends are just as freaked out as he is. Then the wild-eyed Reuben turns up talking in hushed tones about Toby being a werewolf. Reuben's pale, insomniac friends seem equally convinced and offer to chain him up every full moon. They also claim to be part of some sort of vampire support group. This has to be a joke - right? It's only when he's kidnapped, imprisoned and in desperate need of rescuing that Toby begins to believe them...

The Story ~

'The Abused Werewolf Rescue Group' begins with the main character Tobias ('Toby') Vandevelde telling his story of waking up in hospital after being found unconscious in the dingo pen in Featherdale Wildlife Park. Toby has no idea how he got there and neither does anyone else, all they do know is he is covered in lacerations and bruises, and one of the dingos in the pen has sustained minor injuries (which may have been caused by another dingo). After spending the night in hospital, Toby is discharged and he tracks down his friend, Fergus, who Toby is convinced had something to do with Toby being found in the dingo pen since Fergus likes to play pranks, etc.

Toby quickly finds out that Fergus was not involved when Reuben Schneider and Father Ramon Alvarvez appeared at his house and tell Toby that he is a werewolf (like Reuben) and they can help him during the next full moon, understandably Toby does not believe them, however, Toby quickly changes his mind when he is kidnapped and kept prisoner.

What I thought of 'The Abused Werewolf Rescue Group' ~

Having read 'The Reformed Vampire Support Group' last year also by Catherine Jinks, I did not enjoyed 'The Abused Werewolf Rescue Group' as much, Toby was a good character but I thought the story improved once the members of the Vampire support group appeared to help him, especially Nina and her mum, Estelle (who is hilarious in both books).

A fun read and I am looking forward to the next installment.

Rating ~ 6/10

Edited by Weave

Sorry Weave, I just can't help giggling at this title. :giggle:

'Poor little abused werewolf *pat pat*, have some doggie biscuits and warm milk.'

Its okay poppy, I find it funny too :)

Across The Universe by Beth Revis ~ Started: 08.07.11 ~ Finished: 12.07.11

50.jpg

Synopsis ~

Amy has left the life she loves for a world 300 years away.

Trapped in space and frozen in time, Amy is bound for a new planet. But fifty years before she’s due to arrive, she is violently woken, the victim of an attempted murder. Now Amy's lost on board and nothing makes sense - she's never felt so alone.

Yet someone is waiting for her. He wants to protect her; and more if she’ll let him.

But who can she trust amidst the secrets and lies? A killer is out there – and Amy has nowhere to hide . . .

The Story ~

'Across The Universe' is the story of 17 year old Amy Martin from Colorado who is about to leave with her parents to go to another planet to begin a new life, her father who works for the military and her mother, a geneticist who are both imperative to the mission amongst other professionals, Amy, unfortunately is seen as 'non essential' but her parents would only take the jobs as long as Amy came with them, now they are leaving for a planet 300 years light years away and to get there they must be cryogenically frozen, which proves to be a painful progress for them all.

Amy is woken up suddenly when someone begins the process of unfreezing her, Amy wakes up on the 'Godspeed' believing she has arrived at the new planet but she has not arrived, there is still 50 years to go, she has been awoken early and almost dies in the process. The first person she meets is Elder, a 16 year old boy who is training to follow in the footsteps of Eldest, who runs the ship following the outbreak of 'The Plague' which occurred years before, now there is a Eldest for each generation, Elder will be the next Eldest for the next generation, which Elder has some trepidation about, Eldest is a strong leader, can Elder be a strong leader?

As the story progresses you see Elder and Amy becoming closer and finding out more about Godspeed and the secrets that Eldest has been keeping.

What I thought of 'Across The Universe' ~

I cannot recommend 'Across The Universe' enough, it was a fantastic book which was recommended to me by a few friends (thank you!). The story engrosses you from page one, which each chapter being narrated between Amy and Elder, which makes for great reading. You feel Amy's fears as she is about to be frozen and leave her life behind on Earth, her feelings as she wakes up in a different world where people do not understand her because she is different, her concerns for her parents and her feelings towards Elder. Amy is a great and well rounded character, despite everything she remains focused and you know how devastated she is but she still goes on, determined to find answers.

Elder is also a great character, he has no experience of Earth (or 'Sol~Earth' as he and the rest of the 'Godspeed' know it), he has lived his whole life on the ship where there is three levels, 'Keeper level, 'Shipper level' and 'Feeder level', he believes everything (to a point) that Eldest tells him but as the story progresses he begins to see Eldest differently, not the leader he always knew.

'Across The Universe' is a definite must~read, its brilliantly written, its exciting, full of suspense, you never know what will happen next, you will be unable to stop reading until the end.

I am looking forward to the next installment ~ 'A Million Suns' which is due for release on the 10th January 2012.

Rating ~ 10/10

Edited by Weave

I remember Abby was just as enthusiastic about this one. Think it would appeal to teenagers Paula? I am trying to wean mine off vampire books....

It definitely would appeal to teenagers, I don't know how to help with vampire books, I've been a vampire fan since I was teenager (and that was many moons ago :lol:)

Across the Universe sounds interesting, Weave, but I can't help but be bothered that it has taken its title from The Beatles' song. It's a bit off-putting for me, for some reason.

Across the Universe sounds interesting, Weave, but I can't help but be bothered that it has taken its title from The Beatles' song. It's a bit off-putting for me, for some reason.

I know what you mean, I love The Beatles but I've had the song in my head for over a week now :giggle2:

I need to stop reading your reviews! I keep buying books after I read them! Across The Universe sounds brilliant!

I highly recommend it Laura, if you get the chance, read it. :)