Tunn 300's 2011 Book List

tunn300

Flowers For Algernon - Daniel Keyes

315zhC4HNGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Synopsis Amazon

Charlie Gordon, IQ 68, is a floor sweeper, and the gentle butt of everyone's jokes, until an experiment in the enhancement of human intelligence turns him into a genius. But then Algernon, the mouse whose triumphal experimental transformation preceeded his, fades and dies, and Charlie has to face the possibilty that his salvation was only temporary.

Review

I picked up this book after reading the synopsis on the February book circle choices and thought it sounded intriguing and I have to say I was not dissapointed.

The book is about Charlie Gordon, a floor sweeper at a bakery, who has an incredibly low IQ. So low in fact that at the time this book was written he was classed as retarded. The book is written from the perspective of Charlie and is written as a diary that charts his life before and after experimental surgery to increase his IQ. Charlie is the first human to trial the surgery after success is seen in a mouse named Algernon.

As the diary entries are effectively written by Charlie, the book starts out with no punctuation and most words spelt incorrectly. As the book progresses and Charlie becomes more intelligent the writing changes gradually to add punctuation and an increasingly wide vocabulary. For me this helped show exactly how far Charlie had come.

Before the operation Charlie is fairly happy with his life as even though those around him often tease him, he does not understand what they are doing and merely laughs along with them. As he become more intelligent these relationships change as Charlie begins to understand what they are doing.

Throughout the book Charlie begins to remember his younger life and this makes for some really harrowing reading. We are shown how poorly he has been treated by those closest to him all his life and why he was so desperate to become intelligent in the first place.

The book asks many questions, one of the main ones being does being more intelligent mean you are happier. I don't want to go into great detail and spoil the plot for others. Safe to say however it is an incredibly interesting book that is thought provoking throughout and asks many questions about the way society treats people of lower intelligence that are still relevant today 50 years after the book was first published.

I really enjoyed the book overall, there was section when Charlie has reached the peak of his intelligence that he is talking about things so complex I found it hard to follow. However this only lasted a short while and did not effect my enjoyment of the book on the whole. Overall I really enjoyed this book and would highly recommend it to others.

9/10

I bought this for my dad for his birthday - it is definitely his kind of book but I have to admit I liked the sound of it too and looking fo4ward to him finishing it so he can pass it on!

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought this for my dad for his birthday - it is definitely his kind of book but I have to admit I liked the sound of it too and looking fo4ward to him finishing it so he can pass it on!

I have to say it's not the kind of book usually go for but thought it was terrific. It has actually inspired me to read a bit more science fiction and that is why I was happy to read Never Let Me Go. This is also a terrific science fiction type of novel!

Hope you enjoy Flowers for Algernon when it gets passed back to you Habeebi!!

Glad you enjoyed Never Let Me Go and Flowers for Algernon, both are books I really liked too :)

Yeah a couple of terrific books. Last night I made a start on Sister by Rosamund Lupton and am finding it very engaging so far. It has certainly sparked my interest and am looking forward to getting through some more tonight.

I also noticed on Amazon earlier they are having a spring sale. I managed to pick up The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas and Ordinary Thunderstorms by William Boyd for under £3 for both!!!

Edited by tunn300

I also noticed on Amazon earlier they are having a spring sale. I managed to pick up The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas and Ordinary Thunderstorms by William Boyd for under £3 for both!!!

Jealous!! I hope it's a good one, I'll be waiting for your thoughts on it when you get to it :)

Jealous!! I hope it's a good one, I'll be waiting for your thoughts on it when you get to it :)

I think it will be next for me Frankie as I think it has the potential to be a cracking read. Can't really believe Amazon are selling it for just over £1!

I think it will be next for me Frankie as I think it has the potential to be a cracking read. Can't really believe Amazon are selling it for just over £1!

Ooh excellent, I like the prospect of hearing your thoughts on it soon. I, too, think that it has great potential. Maybe I'll just give in an order it for myself asap :giggle:

Sister - Rosamund Lupton

51E2yWt4gxL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-20,34_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Synopsis Amazon

‘My sister would never have killed herself…'When Beatrice hears that her little sister, Tess, is missing, she returns home to London on the first flight available. But Bee is unprepared for the terrifying truths she must face about her younger sibling when Tess’s broken body is discovered in the snow.The police, Bee’s friends, her fiancé and even her mother accept the fact that Tess committed suicide. But nobody knows a sister like a sister, and Bee is convinced that something more sinister is responsible for Tess’s untimely death. So she embarks on a dangerous journey to discover the truth, no matter the cost…

Review

I have had this book on my TBR pile for a little while and when I saw a discussion on the crime thread about how good it is decided to bump it to the top.

The book has two central themes, the relationships within a family and the hunt for Tess's killer. At the start of the book we are introduced to Beatrice (Bee) as she begins a letter to her dead sister. She feels she needs to write this letter so that she can feel closure at her murder. The story is then told in a fairly chronological order as she recounts her tale to Mr Wright who we are told works for the Crown Prosecution Service and is building a case against the murderer. We do however constantly step out of the recount into the present day which at first can be a little difficult to keep up with especially as it is also interspersed with fond quotes she remembers from her sister.

Bee is convinced that her sister was murdered, however this goes against all the evidence that the police and other characters have at their disposal and as they move on with their lives Bee is left trying to convince everyone and anyone her sister would not commit suicide. As the book progresses you feel her frustration that despite the evidence she uncovers the police are unwilling to change their initial impression and investigate the case properly. This is a true thriller in that clues are slowly drip-fed to the reader throughout the novel and just like Bee we are expected to spot some of the links for ourselves.

The relationship between the two sisters and also between their parents is fundamental to this book as Bee realises that although she believes herself to be a caring and loving sister she has always taken the easy options out in life rather than tackle her problems head on. This is something that changes in her throughout this book as she begins to transform into a person much more like her sister. The transformation is handled really well and is very gradual.

This book has me gripped from page one and I have been racing through it desperate to discover how the story would end. Early on we are told the killer has been captured and that we are on the build up to his trial. Throughout the book, just like Bee, I began to suspect every male character I came across assessing how likely they would be as the killer. Every character is crafted in detail with real emotions and feelings making the story even more real.

The build up to the resolution is incredibly tense as you already know that Bee will locate the killer and I was anxious to find the clues with her that would identify this person. Once the person has then been identified the twists that follow are truly excellent and the ending of the book is fantastic and one I did not see coming at all. The only other time I have been this surprised about an ending in recent memory is Shutter Island. There is a Q&A with the author at the end of the Kindle edition in which she explains that the ending can be interpreted in many ways but she explains what she thought would happen which for me spoilt it slightly as I still feel I would be running over the possibilities in my head now.

Overall I highly recommend this book. It has so many layers to it that can be explored: family relationships, grief, revenge and genetic engineering are just a few. At the heart of all of this is an excellent thriller book that puts the recent work of supposed legends of the genre (James Patterson I am looking at you) to shame.

10/10

Edited by tunn300

I have made a start on The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas and am currently 12% in. The book is divided into chapters with each one covering one character that attended the BBQ where the fateful slap occurred. After reading the first character, Hector, I have to say I was surprised a little bit by the language with possibly the most offensive word in the English language used on page one and several times thereafter. It's not spoiling my enjoyment of the book but think some people may take offense to it and its so far constant descriptions of sex.

I also picked up anther couple of books from the Kindle spring sale on Amazon today. I got Let The Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist and Pigeon English by Stephen Kelman for less than £2.50 for both. What a bargain!

I think I rather like how the narration is handled in The Slap, I'm all the more looking forward to the book. :) Thanks!

Am 53% into The Slap now and am enjoying it so far. As the narration moves from character to character the time of the story continues, so we do not simply have the same event played over and over and viewed by different characters. I think it has been very effective so far but I have to say that as soon as I move onto another character I seem to lose any respect I had for them as I really get to know them. The only exception so far is possibly Connie but even she has just set something in motion that I am sure will come back to haunt her later. I suppose it shows real life and that we all have undesirable parts to us or our past that we would rather not share with the world.

Yes I figured we'd get to go into the story for a longer period of time and that not everyone is what they seem on the surface. I really like this kind of narration, it's so much more interesting. I'm glad to hear you're still enjoying it :)

I think I rather like how the narration is handled in The Slap, I'm all the more looking forward to the book. :) Thanks!

You have The Slap? Did you buy that when you were over here? 10_confused.gif I've come so close to buying it a few times; I'm sure I'll get around to it eventually.

You have The Slap? Did you buy that when you were over here? 10_confused.gif I've come so close to buying it a few times; I'm sure I'll get around to it eventually.

You should've read my posts before the latest one :wink: :

Ooh excellent, I like the prospect of hearing your thoughts on it soon. I, too, think that it has great potential. Maybe I'll just give in an order it for myself asap :giggle:

I really want the book, I think next time I'm ordering books from play.com I'll simply have to order it.

The Slap - Christos Tsiolkas

51TJZV281zL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-18,34_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Synopsis Amazon

At a suburban barbecue, a man slaps a child who is not his own. This event has a shocking ricochet effect on a group of people, mostly friends, who are directly or indirectly influenced by the event. In this remarkable novel, Christos Tsiolkas turns his unflinching and all-seeing eye on to that which connects us all: the modern family and domestic life in the twenty-first century. The Slap is told from the points of view of eight people who were present at the barbecue. The slap and its consequences force them all to question their own families and the way they live, their expectations, beliefs and desires. What unfolds is a powerful, haunting novel about love, sex and marriage, parenting and children, and the fury and intensity - all the passions and conflicting beliefs - that family can arouse.

Review

As soon as I read the synopsis of this book it really intrigued me and struck me that it had the potential to be a very intriguing book. It has certainly not failed to deliver, however it has not done so in the way I initially expected. Whilst the actual slap of the child referred to in the title does play a central role for some of the 8 characters we meet in the book for many it is simply a gateway so that we can explore their lives.

This is where the book is really interesting for me as we meet 8 completely different characters spanning all ages, races and sexualities. We then learn the life stories of these characters, and in my case at least begin to like them less and less. After reading the whole book the only 2 characters I still have real sympathy for are the two teenagers, Connie and Richie.

The life stories are really well drawn out and obviously many of them interlink. As well as learning about the characters past the book continues in the present with the aftermath of the slap incident and what follows. I thought Tsiolas did a really good job of interweaving these back stories with the present without it ever becoming confusing.

A small disclaimer for anyone intending to read this book that is easily offended, this book contains large amounts of very offensive language and sexual encounters throughout.

I really enjoyed this book, not for the reasons I initially thought as the debate about the slapping incident is short lived. I enjoyed it because it provides a real insight into 8 very different peoples lives and what the deal with on a day to day basis. I knew very little about Australian diversity before reading this book and have learnt lots. I highly recommend this book.

9/10

A great review tunn300, and great I'm happy that eventhough the book was not all what you thought it would be about, it proved to be a great read in other ways.

Thanks Frankie :D I hope you manage to get hold of a copy!

I have made a start on the new Mark Billingham novel 'From the Dead'. Am about 45% in and it has me gripped so far, Thorne is still one of my favourite detective series!!

Edited by tunn300

Thanks Frankie :D I hope you manage to get hold of a copy!

I have made a start on the new Mark Billingham novel 'From the Dead'. Am about 45% in and it has me gripped so far, Thorne is still one of my favourite detective series!!

Thanks, I actually couldn't resist ordering a copy for myself and I just got it yesterday! Can't wait to get to it! :smile2:

Have you read all the Mark Billingham's novels? I've only read one, and it was fairly decent, I think it was the first one in the series. I guess you would probably recommend them, going by that last sentence in your post? :giggle:

Thanks, I actually couldn't resist ordering a copy for myself and I just got it yesterday! Can't wait to get to it! :smile2:

Have you read all the Mark Billingham's novels? I've only read one, and it was fairly decent, I think it was the first one in the series. I guess you would probably recommend them, going by that last sentence in your post? :giggle:

Glad you got yourself a copy Frankie! Hope you enjoy it when you get around to reading it. I have read all the Mark Billingham novels and really enjoyed them. Have just finished From the Dead, his latest, and whilst not as strong as others in the series it is still a great read. I think his earlier books, Scaredy Cat, Sleepyhead and Death Message are the best. I would recommend reading them in order though as Thorne's character is developed throughout the series and there are some references back to past cases in some books.

From the Dead - Mark Billingham

51DWhnFH2ML._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-18,34_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Synopsis Amazon

When Donna Langford receives a very recent photo of her ex-husband in the post, she gets the shock of her life. Because she’s just spent ten years in prison for organising his murder. When her daughter goes missing, Donna believes there can only be one man responsible and hires Anna Carpenter, a determined young private investigator, to find him. DI Tom Thorne worked on the Alan Langford case, so when Carpenter brings the photo to him, he refuses to believe that the man whose body was found in a burned-out car ten years before can still be alive. But when a prison inmate that he and Anna interview is viciously murdered, Thorne starts to understand that Langford is not only alive, but ready to get rid of anyone who could threaten his comfortable new life in Spain…

Review

This book is the latest in the series of the Tom Thorn books, some of which have been adapted into a mini-series on Sky One. I have read all of the previous Thorne books and he is a character I particularly enjoy.

In this book we meet Thorne at a bit of a low point in his relationship and life in general. He is persuaded by a private detective to look into a case he worked on that has been closed for many years. Donna Langford has just been released from prison for hiring someone to kill her husband who was found burnt out in a car. When she starts to receive photographs of her supposedly dead husband sitting on a beach in Spain she is obviously shocked and when her daughter disappears just before her release she feels there is only one person to blame.

I again enjoyed the fast pace of Billingham's writing and the characters we meet feel natural and well thought out, which is not always the case in crime novels. We continue to learn more about Thorne as a person and there is even some mocking of him evident in the writing (When he begins to read a crime novel but gives up because the main character is too grumpy!) The story is interesting and had me hooked throughout.

My problem with this book compared to others in the series is that it was just slightly too predictable. The Thorne novels are usually full of twists and turn that keep me guessing up till the end but I felt this particular book lacked that. It is still an enjoyable read and if you are a fan of the Thorne novels it fits in well. I recommend this book to those that have read much of the series before but would not suggest starting your Thorne experience with this particular story.

8/10

Edited by tunn300

• 3 weeks later...

Worst Case - James Patterson and Michael Ledwidge

51-dnuw19eL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-18,34_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Synopsis Amazon

The son of one of New York’s wealthiest families is snatched off the street and held hostage. His parents can’t save him, because this kidnapper isn’t demanding money. Instead, he quizzes his prisoner on the price others pay for his life of luxury. In this exam, wrong answers are fatal.Detective Michael Bennett leads the investigation. With ten kids of his own, he can’t begin to understand what could lead someone to target anyone’s children. As another student disappears, one powerful family after another uses their leverage and connections to turn the heat up on the mayor, the press, anyone who will listen, to stop this killer. Their reach extends all the way to the FBI, who send their top Abduction Specialist, Agent Emily Parker. Bennett’s work life - and love life - suddenly get even more complicated.Before Bennett has a chance to protest the FBI’s intrusion on his case, the mastermind changes his routine. His plan leads up to the most devastating demonstration yet - one that could bring cataclysmic devastation to every inch of New York.

Review

This is the 3rd book in the Michael Bennett series of novels and it follows a very similar pattern to the first 2 books. We again have a sadistic killer who at first appears to be flawless and incredibly methodical. However as time progresses he leaves small clue which are picked up on by Bennett and his partner. Whilst all this is happening we also get to see Bennett playing the hero dad to his 10 adopted children who he heroically raises with the help of their nanny Mary Catherine.

The book has the same problems that I have mentioned of the first two books but this time I didn't feel the overall story made up for it enough. I am already becoming bored of the series and may not continue as it is all just a bit too formulaic and unbelievable. The character of Bennett became just the perfect man in this book with every woman falling at his feet. Overall this book was an ok read but not one that had me gripped, desperate to find out if the killer would be stopped.

7/10

Have made a start on the next book in the Dexter series over the weekend, Dearly Devoted Dexter. I am about 30% in and again really enjoying it. I really like how the story is told through Dexter's eyes and his views on what is morally wrong and right.

I think I may make a start on the tv series after finishing this book.

Edited by tunn300

Happy to hear you're enjoying the Dexter series! :smile2: The third novel was a bit of a disappointment, but the fourth one was another great read and in my opinion, the fifth novel is the best, it's scary as heck, there are great twists, and it's hilarious!

I heartily recommend the TV series as well. After the first season which roughly follows the first novel, the second season doesn't follow the book and it's a work of art in it's own.

Happy to hear you're enjoying the Dexter series! :smile2: The third novel was a bit of a disappointment, but the fourth one was another great read and in my opinion, the fifth novel is the best, it's scary as heck, there are great twists, and it's hilarious!

I heartily recommend the TV series as well. After the first season which roughly follows the first novel, the second season doesn't follow the book and it's a work of art in it's own.

When out shopping today I found the first season of Dexter for only £10 so I snapped it up. Watched the first 2 episodes so far and feel they have almost covered the whole of the book already, still enjoying it though.