Tunn 300's 2011 Book List

tunn300

Hi Vodkafan, we did have a brief chat about 'The Little Stranger' by Sarah Waters right after I joined in February last year but other than that I don't think we have. I finished 'The Help' last night after a lengthy reading session. I simply could not put the book down as the tension

about what would happen when the book was finally released was incredible.

I thought it was a fantastic book and one that raised so many issues about racism after slavery had been outlawed in America. I was surprised to discover that Kathryn Stockett was white (I think from her vivid descriptions of experiences the maids had) and from her description of her experiences with her own maid, reminded me an awful lot of Skeeter.

What did you think?

Well, I knew she was white because I saw a picture before I read the book but I did wonder how much of Miss Skeeter was really her. Going to see the film tommorow.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Help - Kathryn Stockett

51JS3IoNVCL._SL500_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-48,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Synopsis Amazon

Jackson, Mississippi, 1962. Black maids raise white children, but aren't trusted not to steal the silver. Some lines will never be crossed.Aibileen is a black maid: smart, regal, and raising her seventeenth white child. Yet something shifted inside Aibileen the day her own son died while his bosses looked the other way. Minny, Aibileen's best friend, is by some way the sassiest woman in Mississippi. But even her extraordinary cooking won't protect Minny from the consequences of her tongue.Twenty-two-year-old Skeeter returns home with a degree and a head full of hope, but her mother will not be happy until there's a ring on her finger. Seeking solace with Constantine, the beloved maid who raised her, Skeeter finds she has gone. But why will no one tell her where?Seemingly as different as can be, Skeeter, Aibileen and Minny's lives converge over a clandestine project that will not only put them all at risk but also change the town of Jackson for ever. But why? And for what? The Help is a deeply moving, timeless and universal story about the lines we abide by, and the ones we won't. It is about how women, whether mothers or daughters, the help or the boss, relate to each other - and that terrible feeling that those who look after your children may understand them, even love them, better than you . . .

Review

This is one of the first books I purchased for my Kindle using some Amazon vouchers I was given for Christmas last year. Since then it has sat on my Kindle and for some reason I have always overlooked it as my next book choice. Recently I have read a couple of reviews on here that were very positive and that inspired me to go ahead and read it.

The book is set in Jackson, Mississippi in the early 60s. Racial tensions are high as slavery, which is now outlawed, has left behind a host of problems. At the start of the book segregation is still in full force and the KKK are an ever looming threat. The book is told, with the exception of one chapter, by one of three narrators. Aibleen and Minny are both black maids for rich white people who live on the opposite side of the town to them. Skeeter is a white university graduate who is friends with the two women that employ Aibleen and Minny. Each chapter is told from one of the character's point of view but also moves the story on for all three.

The three characters in the book are excellent and have such different personalities. Each one is beautifully constructed and evokes such a different range of emotions. As the book progresses each character develops as we learn of their life. One of the main purposes of the book is to highlight the prejudice that existed at this time in the USA and it does this really well. Yes it highlights the way horrific was these ladies were treated but it also shows the bond they formed together and that not all were treated badly by their employers.

One of the main strengths of the book for me was the way Stockett built the tension as the three embark on a quest to write a book detailing what life was really like for the maids. They faced real danger in doing this and if caught their punishment does not bear thinking about. Every time they were together working on the book and a car door slammed outside Aibleen's house I too felt the tension. I read the last quarter of the book in one sitting as I just had to know what would happen.

Along with the serious issues this book deals with their are also many humorous moments in the maids everyday lives and also other serious issues that we confront that are not to do with prejudice. I highly recommend this book as I found it to be an intensely enjoyable experience that will have you hooked until the last line, and then thinking about it more afterwards.

10/10

Edited by tunn300

Well, I knew she was white because I saw a picture before I read the book but I did wonder how much of Miss Skeeter was really her. Going to see the film tommorow.

I hope you enjoy it. Please post your thoughts on it as I too am tempted to see it but don't want another disappointing book to film conversion.

I hope you enjoy it. Please post your thoughts on it as I too am tempted to see it but don't want another disappointing book to film conversion.

Will do. Good book review by the way.

Edited by vodkafan

Will do. Good book review by the way.

Thanks Vodkafan.

I started reading the introduction to James Cordon's autobiography last night but after having a good old peruse around the forums this morning and reading about the November book circle book I decided on a whim to purchase that for my Kindle and start reading it instead. So my next book is 'The Murder of Roger Ackroyd' by Agatha Christie. This will be my first Christie novel and I am certainly looking forward to reading it. Hopefully will get through it in time to join in the November discussion but I am back at work on Monday!!

The Help - Kathryn Stockett

51JS3IoNVCL._SL500_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-48,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Synopsis Amazon

Jackson, Mississippi, 1962. Black maids raise white children, but aren't trusted not to steal the silver. Some lines will never be crossed.Aibileen is a black maid: smart, regal, and raising her seventeenth white child. Yet something shifted inside Aibileen the day her own son died while his bosses looked the other way. Minny, Aibileen's best friend, is by some way the sassiest woman in Mississippi. But even her extraordinary cooking won't protect Minny from the consequences of her tongue.Twenty-two-year-old Skeeter returns home with a degree and a head full of hope, but her mother will not be happy until there's a ring on her finger. Seeking solace with Constantine, the beloved maid who raised her, Skeeter finds she has gone. But why will no one tell her where?Seemingly as different as can be, Skeeter, Aibileen and Minny's lives converge over a clandestine project that will not only put them all at risk but also change the town of Jackson for ever. But why? And for what? The Help is a deeply moving, timeless and universal story about the lines we abide by, and the ones we won't. It is about how women, whether mothers or daughters, the help or the boss, relate to each other - and that terrible feeling that those who look after your children may understand them, even love them, better than you . . .

Review

This is one of the first books I purchased for my Kindle using some Amazon vouchers I was given for Christmas last year. Since then it has sat on my Kindle and for some reason I have always overlooked it as my next book choice. Recently I have read a couple of reviews on here that were very positive and that inspired me to go ahead and read it.

The book is set in Jackson, Mississippi in the early 60s. Racial tensions are high as slavery, which is now outlawed, has left behind a host of problems. At the start of the book segregation is still in full force and the KKK are an ever looming threat. The book is told, with the exception of one chapter, by one of three narrators. Aibleen and Minny are both black maids for rich white people who live on the opposite side of the town to them. Skeeter is a white university graduate who is friends with the two women that employ Aibleen and Minny. Each chapter is told from one of the character's point of view but also moves the story on for all three.

The three characters in the book are excellent and have such different personalities. Each one is beautifully constructed and evokes such a different range of emotions. As the book progresses each character develops as we learn of their life. One of the main purposes of the book is to highlight the prejudice that existed at this time in the USA and it does this really well. Yes it highlights the way horrific was these ladies were treated but it also shows the bond they formed together and that not all were treated badly by their employers.

One of the main strengths of the book for me was the way Stockett built the tension as the three embark on a quest to write a book detailing what life was really like for the maids. They faced real danger in doing this and if caught their punishment does not bear thinking about. Every time they were together working on the book and a car door slammed outside Aibleen's house I too felt the tension. I read the last quarter of the book in one sitting as I just had to know what would happen.

Along with the serious issues this book deals with their are also many humorous moments in the maids everyday lives and also other serious issues that we confront that are not to do with prejudice. I highly recommend this book as I found it to be an intensely enjoyable experience that will have you hooked until the last line, and then thinking about it more afterwards.

10/10

Great review Tunn :) 'The Help' is such a remarkable book isn't it? and I enjoyed the message and the humour was fantastic (especially Minny and her 'memorable' cake) :)

Great review Tunn :) 'The Help' is such a remarkable book isn't it? and I enjoyed the message and the humour was fantastic (especially Minny and her 'memorable' cake) :)

Yeah the humour is fantastic. The cake and then how Minny thinks to use it to stop Hilly was a great part of the book I thought.

Well I never thought I would see those words come from your keyboard Poppy. I think your resolve is cracking. I sometimes get withdrawal symptoms from real books and have to read one with actual pages that you turn and stuff. I don't regret getting my Kindle one bit though.

Neither did I .. I'll probably be flogged in the streets and my books burnt by the local reading group :D I would have one as an additional reading tool (like my audible downloads on iPod) I'd still have my books because I do love a well stocked bookshelf .. and my passion is bookcovers so I can't give that up but I can see how it could be really useful. It'd stop my house from falling down under the weight anyway (of books that is .. not me :D)

Am glad things are evening out for you. Am looking to move back to Swindon in the next couple of months so I shall be back at North Swindon library helping to keep the visitor numbers up.

:D Am very glad to hear it .. and I'm sure they will be too. I love that library, I would pick it up and move it here if I could but I wouldn't want to wish Cirencester library on anyone, that'd be too cruel.

Haven't started 'Snowdrops' just yet as I still have about 80 or so pages of "The Help" to finish off. Hopefully will do that tonight or tomorrow and then make a start on this book. "Pigeon English' is a truly excellent book and I really recommend it. It deals with some extremely topical issues and raises some interesting questions about modern society. I am also intrigued by 'The Sisters Brothers".

Pigeon English was one of my nominations for Novembers Reading Circle .. I will get around to reading it at some point (give me the nod if you see it over at the library.)

Glad you loved 'The Help' .. I loved your review of it, spot on. Hope the movie did it justice.

• 1 month later...

As predicted a busy few months at work and a reading slowdown. Managed to finally finish 'The Murder of Roger Ackroyd' yesterday morning. Although it has taken me a month to read I still thoroughly enjoyed it and will post a review soon. Think I am now going to struggle to hit my target of 40 books this year as I am only at 35 but it is still a big improvement on last year.

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd - Agatha Christie

51bcjGnaNtL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-52,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Synopsis Amazon

Roger Ackroyd knew too much. He knew that the woman he loved had poisoned her brutal first husband. He suspected also that someone had been blackmailing her. Now, tragically, came the news that she had taken her own life with a drug overdose.

But the evening post brought Roger one last fatal scrap of information. Unfortunately, before he could finish the letter, he was stabbed to death…

Review

I started reading this book at the beginning of November and it has taken me a month and a half to finish. This is in no way a reflection of the quality of the book but was caused by a very hectic work schedule and also the killer being told to me when I was only just into the book. Needless to say I will not be telling the person who told me this the name of any other book I am reading ever again.

I decided to read the book as it was chosen by the reading circle as the November book and whilst crime is probably one of my favourite genres I had never read anything by Christie. The book revolves around the killing of Roger Ackroyd shortly after his lover had taken her own life. The story is told from the perspective of Dr. Sheppard who is one of the last few people to see Ackroyd alive and also the doctor that attends his house to pronounce the death. One of Dr. Sheppards neighbours just happens to be the world famous Inspector Poirot who has chosen the village as a retirement location.

Poirot is soon drawn into the case and uses all of his legendary skills to draw conclusions from little evidence. I have to say I greatly enjoyed Christie's writing and think had it not been ruined for me would have been guessing up until the end the identity of the killer. I like how Christie uses the ending to make clear links on how Poirot has drawn all the conclusions he ash from the evidence provided and it certainly does not make huge jumps with the reader being asked to suspend their belief like so many modern novels.

Overall I really enjoyed this book and will definitely ensure I read more of her work in the future. I intend to post more detailed thoughts in the relevant section of the reading circle over the next few days.

9/10

After finishing 'The Murder of Roger Ackroyd' last weekend I immediately dived into the new Simon Kernick book 'The Payback'. I read 43% of it in one sitting on Sunday morning as it is so fast paced and easy to read. Have not touched it again till this morning but hope to have it finished by the end of the weekend. Having read all of his books have not found this one as good as the others so far but hoping it will pick up as I draw to the end. Now that I have finished work till the 2nd January I am hoping to get through a fair few books before this year draws to a close.

As well as reading I have recently started getting into audio books and currently have 2 on the go. 'I Partridge' by Alan Partridge and 'Steve Jobs' by Walter Isaacson. I don't think its possible to have two more contrasting autobiographies/biographies on the go at the same time but am thoroughly enjoying both.

Edited by tunn300

The Payback - Simon Kernick

51gNX4w0KaL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-48,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Synopsis Amazon

TWO COPS, ONE CITY, NO MERCY

Dennis Milne is a man with a past, and a past that involves murder.

A former cop, he's earned his living killing the bad guys - drug-dealers, corrupt business men - people who, in his opinion, deserve to die. For the past two days, he's been in Manila, waiting for his next target: a young woman who's made herself some poor life-choices, and some even worse enemies.

DI Tina Boyd is a woman on a mission.

Tough, spiky and determined, she's looking for the man she holds responsible for the death of her lover. She knows this man's ruthless. She knows he's dangerous. But he's in Manila, and she's determined to find him - before he finds her.

Two cops with pasts that haunt them - and a present that could see them both dead. They are about to meet.

And when they do, it's payback time ...

Review

Simon Kernick is one of my favourite crime authors and I have read all his previous work. I purchased this book after its recent kindle price drop due to the release of the paperback. I read it in three main sittings.

The book brings together two characters Kernick has been using in his books for a while, Tina Boyd and Dennis Milne. Although they both worked for the same police force it was at different times and their paths have never really crossed before. In this book they team up to take on another of Kernick's long running characters Paul Wise with the majority of the action set in Manilla. The book, like all of Kernicks, is made up of short chapters and is incredibly fast paced. The narrator in the book jumps between various characters and is always told from their point of view.

I have to say that whilst I did enjoy this book and raced through it, I felt it was not as good as his previous work. I found all the plot twists very predictable and nothing that happened really surprised me. This could be because I have just read an Agatha Christie book that was full of genuinely shocking twists but I also feel Kernick has almost run out of ideas for these particular characters and this storyline. Many of the plot points in this book seemed very unrealistic and the romance between the two lead characters was both inevitable but also disappointing in that it just didn't fit for me.

I will definitely read Kernick's work again in the future and hope that the new characters he mentions that he has in mind bring something new and more exciting to his writing. I really hope people don't start their reading of Kernick with this book as it is a poor representation of the stories he is capable of telling.

7/10

Snowdrops - A.D. Miller

51rvppbQqgL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-48,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Synopsis Amazon

Shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize 2011, Snowdrops is THE debut of 2011: A stunning novel of moral ambiguity, uncertainty and corruption. Snowdrops. That's what the Russians call them - the bodies that float up into the light in the thaw. Drunks, most of them, and homeless people who just give up and lie down into the whiteness, and murder victims hidden in the drifts by their killers. Nick has a confession. When he worked as a high-flying British lawyer in Moscow, he was seduced by Masha, an enigmatic woman who led him through her city: the electric nightclubs and intimate dachas, the human kindnesses and state-wide corruption. Yet as Nick fell for Masha, he found that he fell away from himself; he knew that she was dangerous, but life in Russia was addictive, and it was too easy to bury secrets - and corpses - in the winter snows...

Review

This book came to my attention as it had been shortlisted for the Man Booker prize. This is the third shortlisted book I have read this year and so far my least favourite.

The book is set in Moscow and centers around Nick a British lawyer making a killing in post communist Russia. He becomes involved in a relationship with Masha and to a certain extent her sister Katya. The plot revolves around how far Nick will betray his own moral values for these women. The book is meant as a letter to Nick's current fiance explaining all he has done wrong in the past and we get referrals to her throughout the book.

I did find parts of the book interesting and especially learning about post communist Russia. My real problem with the book is that from the outset it is obvious something is wrong with Masha and Katya and it becomes clear very early on what they are using Nick to do. I was hoping this was then building to an epic finish but sadly it just plods along doing everything I had expected from it. In fact I find the ending almost implausible in the little action that Nick then takes. It is certainly not a book that will live long in the memory or one that challenges my thinking greatly.

7/10

Edited by tunn300

What a shame that someone told you the identity of the killer in The Murder of Roger Ackroyd ... why on earth did they do that?! It's a good book elevated to a great book because of the twist .. grrrrrrr!!!! Have they told you what you're getting for Xmas too?

Thanks for recommending some fantastic books this year Tunn, Happy reading in 2012 :smile:

What a shame that someone told you the identity of the killer in The Murder of Roger Ackroyd ... why on earth did they do that?! It's a good book elevated to a great book because of the twist .. grrrrrrr!!!! Have they told you what you're getting for Xmas too?

Thanks for recommending some fantastic books this year Tunn, Happy reading in 2012 :smile:

I couldn't believe they told me either! I certainly won't be sharing what I am reading with them again.

Hope you have a great Christmas and New Year too and also thanks to you for some great reviews this year.

Well with 7 reading days left until the new year I am hopeful of finishing the book I am currently reading (Major Pettigrew's Last Stand) and hopefully one more. That would give me a total of 39 books read this year, so a little short of my 40 target but 9 more than last year.

As the year is drawing to a close I have found myself reflecting back upon this years reading and forming my own top 3 books I have read this year.

In at 3 - Room by Emma Donoghue

This was the first truly great book I read this year and even though I read it way back in January I can still remember the characters and the emotions the book stirred up in me. Donoghue managed to capture perfectly the voice of a 5 year old who thought what he was experiencing was perfectly normal and this in turn made the book even more compelling. I think this is a book that will stick with me for a long time.

In at 2 - Pigeon English by Stephen Kelman

This book was shortlisted for the Man Booker prize this year and I personally preferred it to the eventual winner. I read the book over the summer during the precise period the London riots were happening and its narrative of life on a sprawling London council estate matched what was being played out in real life. The quote 'a war is coming to England' from very early on in the book looked very prophetic as I was reading it. The book is again told from the perspective of a child, 11 year old Harri, who has just arrived in England from Ghana. Again the innocence of a child telling an incredibly depressing story is one that elevates the book beyond the ordinary. I think Kelman captures Harri's innocence perfectly and constructed an ending that had effected me more than any other book in quite some time.

This years number 1 - The Help by Kathryn Stockett

I loved this book and simply could not put it down. I thought the characters were expertly constructed and the three women had such different but authentic voices that I have to salute Stockett's writing ability. The book taught me a great deal more about the fall out from slavery in America and also showed the real strength of character some people have to stand up for what they believe in. It genuinely is a book that had me laughing out loud, sitting on the edge of my chair and very upset. This roller coaster of emotions is perfectly formed and makes for a fantastic book.

Whilst these are my top three I have read some other superb books this year that I have given 10/10 and they deserve at least a mention.

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson - A great end to a superb trilogy of books.

Sister by Rosamund Lupton - A book that surprised me in its brilliance and so close to being in my top 3.

Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson - A thriller with a difference and some very exciting plot twists.

I think this is probably the first year that I don't have any crime books, in the true sense of the word, in my top 3. Maybe my tastes are changing and that is certainly a factor the recommendations I receive reading posts on here.

Hopefully I will have a couple more reviews to post before this years book list comes to a close but I hope everybody has a great Christmas and New Year holiday and I look forward to a good year of reading in 2012.

Edited by tunn300

I really enjoyed The Help as well, like Before I Go To Sleep it's one of those books that's hard to put down once you start. Good to see you rated Sister so highly as it's on my TBR pile I've not read anything by her before so it was a lucky find.

I have managed to polish off 'Major Pettigrew's Last Stand' by Helen Simonson over the past few days. Really enjoyed it and will post my review of it over the next couple of days. I want to try and finish one more book before the end of the year and will choose what to start later tonight.

Unbelievably I received no books for Christmas this year, the first time ever I think. I did get an Amazon voucher though and have already started spending it today picking up Jennifer Egan's novel 'Look at Me' in today's 12 days of kindle sale for just 99p. Hoping for a more bargains to appear on there over the next few days.

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand - Helen Simonson

61x3NZiniVL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-34,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Synopsis Amazon

Major Ernest Pettigrew is perfectly content to lead a quiet life in the sleepy village of Edgecombe St Mary, away from the meddling of the locals and his overbearing son. But when his brother dies, the Major finds himself seeking companionship with the village shopkeeper, Mrs Ali. Drawn together by a love of books and the loss of their partners, they are soon forced to contend with irate relatives and gossiping villagers. The perfect gentleman, but the most unlikely hero, the Major must ask himself what matters most: family obligation, tradition or love?

Funny, comforting and heart-warming, Major Pettigrew's Last Stand proves that sometimes, against all odds, life does give you a second chance.

Review

I bought this book around this time last year with some Amazon vouchers I had received with my Kindle. It was a book I really liked the sound of and am not sure why it has taken me so long to getting around to actually read it.

The story is told by Major Ernest Pettigrew, a man who very much believes in the morals and values of his generation that appear to slowly be disappearing in modern Britain. He is a very likeable character and I really enjoyed reading about the inner conflicts within him during the book. These often involve deciding between doing something that is correct in polite society or something that is correct for his heart.

The book revolves mainly around the Major's blossoming relationship with the local shopkeeper in the village. Both have lost their partners and are bought together by a shared passion for books, particularly Kipling. The fact however that the shopkeeper, Mrs Ali, is of an Asian origin causes much social awkwardness amongst the villagers. Running alongside their relationship are several other small village stories including the Major trying to reunite his fathers famous guns, Mrs Ali being forced to give up her shop to her nephew, as is family tradition, and the Major trying to come to terms with what his son (now a worker in the city) has become. There are also a few other little stories but these are central to other plot points so I will not spoil them for you. I found each little point of the plot fascinating and well crafted and by the end I felt they had all been drawn together nicely.

The only slight disappointment for me was the ending of the book, in that it was very dramatic and so out of keeping with the rest of the book however it did not spoil my enjoyment. I definitely recommend this book as an enjoyable trip into village life and I am sure there are still villages out there similar to Edgecome St. Mary. The journey the Major embarks on and how he changes throughout the book is done beautifully and I had to keep reading to find out more.

9/10

Edited by tunn300

Confessions of a GP - Dr. Benjamin Daniels

51oWcAoHh%2BL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-48,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Synopsis Amazon

Benjamin Daniels is angry. He is frustrated, confused, baffled and, quite frequently, very funny. He is also a GP. These are his confessions.A woman troubled by pornographic dreams about Tom Jones. An 80-year-old man who can't remember why he's come to see the doctor. A woman with a common cold demanding (but not receiving) antibiotics. A man with a sore knee. A young woman who has been trying to conceive for a while but now finds herself pregnant and isn't sure she wants to go through with it. A 7-year-old boy with 'tummy aches' that don't really exist.These are his patients.Confessions of a GP is a witty insight into the life of a family doctor. Funny and moving in equal measure it will change the way you look at your GP next time you pop in with the sniffles.

Review

I picked this book up as I really enjoyed reading 'Trust me I'm a Junior Doctor' a few years ago and also the fact it was only 99p on Kindle.

The reason I like 'Trust me.. ' so much was the way we got to see the doctor as a real person with real emotions and fears and how hard it must be to make a start as a doctor. Whilst this book did contain moments like that, for me they did not have the same emotional impact.

The book is many very short (Some are literally a page) anecdotes about Daniels life as a GP detailing what life is really like as well as some the humorous patients he has to deal with. I have to say the funny patients were few and far between but I still found it interesting to see what makes up the day of a typical GP. The book is very easy to read and as long as you don't mind the odd bit of self-congratulation by Daniels it is fairly enjoyable. I certainly don't rate this book anywhere nearly as highly as 'Trust me I'm a Junior Doctor' but at a quarter of the price is not a bad way to spend some time.

7/10

Well I think that will be my final review of 2011. I am planning on purchasing and starting Belinda Bauer's 2nd novel 'Darkside' this evening but can't really see my finishing it this side of New Year. So it looks like 2011 will end with me falling 1 short of my reading target having managed 39 books this year. By far and away most of these have been on the Kindle (30 in fact) and this is definitely my preferred reading method now.

My 2012 blog is now up and running and I will hopefully see some of you there in the new year. Happy New Year to everyone and see you in January.