Tunn 300's 2011 Book List

tunn300

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a coincidence, a great find! How are you liking the characters, are they anything you'd imagined them to be while reading the book? Debra is my favorite, as well as Doakes. And of course Dexter.

I would say most of the characters are as I pictured them. The main exception is sargent Doakes who is much younger than I expected. It looks like the first season was also shot before the 2nd book was released as Doakes is called James in the show but in the 2nd book I have just discovered his real name to be Albert!

Michael C. Hall does a great job in my opinion of bringing Dexter to life and I agree Jennifer Carpenter as Debra is also excellent. I look forward to the rest of the series.

Yes, poor Doakes, they can't even decide what he's name is supposed to be. And when you read on, and watch the show, there are other things about Doakes that differ very much from one format (book) to another (TV series). That's all I'll say!

Michael C. Hall is indeed great, but in my opinion the actor who does the best job is Jennifer Carpenter. She's got Debra down to a T! I've read some of the comments on imdb.com on her playing Debra, and I can't believe how many people there think that Carpenter lacks any skills and is just a nervous actor. At least the critics have understand that she's portraying an insecure person and is doing a mighty fine job at it. I had to stop reading the notice board because I got so upset with all the negative comments.

This is not exactly anything to do with the books or the show, but did you know that Hall and Carpenter became an item while working on the show? They eloped a year or two ago :smile2:

This is not exactly anything to do with the books or the show, but did you know that Hall and Carpenter became an item while working on the show? They eloped a year or two ago :smile2:

And didn't they break up recently? :( I love Michael C Hall. He's sooo cute and a great actor. :)

Season 1 is on repeat over here, which I'm very thankful for because I missed a lot of it the first time 'round. What has struck me is how crazy Doakes seems from the beginning. He's all over Dexter and always rude to him and suspicious of him for no apparent reason (well, I know there's reason to be suspicious, but Dexter hasn't actually given him anything to be suspicious of). I really don't like him. Although as an actor he's great. :)

I wasn't aware those two had become an item. I have just finished the 2nd book Frankie and I think I can guess what the main difference between Doakes in the books and the series will be if the tv show does not follow the 2nd books plot!

Kylie I agree Doakes does appear to be very angry and suspicious of Dexter from the very beginning of the tv show. I think the book explains more clearly why he would be so suspicious of Dexter without any evidence and that is because of them both having a dark passenger of sorts. This is not even really mentioned in the show so far. I am only 3 episodes in but I have heard no mention of it.

And didn't they break up recently? :( I love Michael C Hall. He's sooo cute and a great actor. :)

What?! When?! Why!!

Season 1 is on repeat over here, which I'm very thankful for because I missed a lot of it the first time 'round. What has struck me is how crazy Doakes seems from the beginning. He's all over Dexter and always rude to him and suspicious of him for no apparent reason (well, I know there's reason to be suspicious, but Dexter hasn't actually given him anything to be suspicious of). I really don't like him. Although as an actor he's great. :)

I wasn't aware those two had become an item. I have just finished the 2nd book Frankie and I think I can guess what the main difference between Doakes in the books and the series will be if the tv show does not follow the 2nd books plot!

Kylie I agree Doakes does appear to be very angry and suspicious of Dexter from the very beginning of the tv show. I think the book explains more clearly why he would be so suspicious of Dexter without any evidence and that is because of them both having a dark passenger of sorts. This is not even really mentioned in the show so far. I am only 3 episodes in but I have heard no mention of it.

I love Doakes, which is very confusing because he's a big pain in Dexter's butt, whom I also love. :blush: I think in the TV series, Doakes just has this very strong intuition about people and he just intuitively knows Dexter's not all what he seems. As for the books, (I'll put it in spoiler tags cause Kylie hasn't read the books yet)

the Dark Passenger is explained more. Tunn, I don't think the Dark Passenger is explained at all, or it/he doesn't appear as such, as in the books, the TV series is a bit different in that respect. Or then it's been too long since I've watched the show!

I'm not saying anything more about Doakes, or anyone/-thing else, regarding the differences between the series and the show. :cool: You just have to watch it. Oh man I'm seriously wanting to start watching Dexter right now.

Edit: Kylie, just wikied Hall and wtf, Carpenter filed for a divorce on my mother-effing birthday last year!!! Man I'm bummed.

Edited by frankie

Dearly Devoted Dexter - Jeff Lindsay

51FMWE%2B0JQL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-18,34_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Synopsis Amazon

Miami's best-dressed serial killer is back and on the prowl, at least he would be if he could shake off his permanent shadow. Ever since their paths first crossed, Sergeant Doakes hasn't let Dexter Morgan out of his sight. Dexter may well be the Miami PD's blood-spatter analyst, but Sgt. Doakes has a pretty good idea of how Dex likes to spend his free time and he's determined to catch him in the act. Dex hasn't killed in months and is getting twitchy. To throw Doakes off his scent, he's spending more time with Rita, his girlfriend. But no matter how many cosy nights they spend in front of the TV, Doakes is still watching. Then a body turns up, horribly mutilated and barely alive. To trap the torturer, Doakes and Dexter will have to work together, if they can trust each other. It's a devil's pact and one of them will have to be the bait...

Review

This is the second book in the Dexter series by Jeff Lindsay that has also been turned into a very successful tv series. I read the previous book earlier this year and found Dexter to be a very interesting character in that he actually made me side with killer for once. I have also just begun watching the tv show and am finding this very entertaining too.

This book picks up a short while after the first and we again find Dexter back into the normal routine of his life, that is working for the police by day and killing criminals by night. The main villain in this story is a character that uts off parts of people leaving them only as a torso with no tongue. Obviously this sort of killer immediately has Dexter interested on both a professional and personal level. Intertwined with this story is the fact Seargent Doakes is now watching Dexter like a hawk and greatly restricting his night time fun. Throughout the book these two problems intertwine and lead to a particularly pleasing ending for our hero.

I again thought this book was very engrossing and I read it over a weekend. The character of Dexter continues to evolve and I feel we are really getting to understand him even more thoroughly in this book. His relationship with his sister is explored further as his relationship with Rita, his on/off girlfriend. Lindsay manages to create real suspense throughout the story and constantly had me wanting to read on.

This is a series I am really enjoying so far and I look forward to reading the next book.

8/10

Edited by tunn300

Ah, it's interesting that the books give a bit more info about Doakes. I really must get around to reading them!

I wonder, though, why Doakes (at least in the TV show) is very much in Dexter's face, saying how he's going to find out what he's up to etc. I would have thought that a copper in his shoes would keep everything on the quiet and not let on to Dexter that he's investigating him.

I have made a start on Water for Elephants over the weekend and am now about 20% in. I recently watched the film and really enjoyed it and so far the book has fully lived up to my expectations.

I have made a start on Water for Elephants over the weekend and am now about 20% in. I recently watched the film and really enjoyed it and so far the book has fully lived up to my expectations.

I read it last week, it was excellent, hope you enjoy.

Haven't seen the film yet, is it a fateful version of the book?

I read it last week, it was excellent, hope you enjoy.

Haven't seen the film yet, is it a fateful version of the book?

As much as I have read so far it is very true to the book. Glad you enjoyed it Cosychair, I am also finding it very enjoyable so far.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of a slow week on the book reading front. Have had limited time for reading as things have been a bit manic at work. Am up to about 40% in Water for Elephants and am thoroughly enjoying it so far.

In other news I did finish Season 1 of Dexter last night. So different to the book in the end but still brilliant in its own way. Will definitely be getting Season 2.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally finished Water for Elephants this morning. It was an excellent book but have been so busy this last month I have not managed to fit in much reading. Things should hopefully now calm down at work enabling me to get back to reading more.

Not sure what book to start next though?

Water for Elephants - Sara Gruen

518YaEE0PgL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-18,34_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Synopsis Amazon

When Jacob Jankowski, recently orphaned and suddenly adrift, jumps onto a passing train, he enters a world of freaks, grifters, and misfits - the Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show on Earth - a second-rate travelling circus struggling to survive during the Great Depression, making one-night stands in town after endless town. Jacob, a veterinary student who almost earned his degree, is put in charge of caring for the circus menagerie. It is there that he meets Marlena, the beautiful young star of the equestrian act, who is married to August, the charismatic but twisted animal trainer. He also meets Rosie, an elephant who seems untrainable until he discovers a way to reach her. "Water for Elephants" is illuminated by a wonderful sense of time and place. It tells a story of a love between two people that overcomes incredible odds in a world in which even love is a luxury that few can afford.

Review

I have had this book for a while now and kept putting off reading it. I had heard all the great reviews and the blurb certainly sounded exciting so I am not sure why. Anyway last month me and my wife were at a bit of a loose end and decided to visit the cinema. Water for Elephants was the only film we really fancied so we decided to watch it. We both found it extremely enjoyable and that spurred me on to bumping the book up my reading list.

The book and film are very similar, the one key difference being the role of August in the film being more than just an equestrian director. He is more akin to the Uncle Al role in the book (Uncle Al does not make the film at all).

I have to say even though I read this book in small chunks over a long period of time I thought it was excellent. The central characters of Jacob, Marlena and August are very well written and the love triangle that develops between them is handled superbly. For me the real magic of the book was learning about these huge traveling circuses of the 30's. There is lots of factual detail here and I think Gruen has done a lot of research to ensure she got this right.

The book builds nicely to an exciting climax and although I already knew the ending as it is given in the first few pages I was still incredibly tense. Overall I highly recommend this book and watching the film too.

9/10

Made a good start to Killing Floor by Lee Child. Am now about 43% in and I really like the character of Reacher so far. Am finding the book interesting and am keen to discover what happens. Am having to do all my reading at weekends at the moment as works is so busy during the week. Hopefully that will all change as the summer holidays approach.

• 3 weeks later...

Killing Floor - Lee Child

41XBzFGumhL._SL500_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-56,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Synopsis Amazon

Jack Reacher jumps off a bus and walks fourteen miles down a country road into Margrave, Georgia. An arbitrary decision he’s about to regret.

Reacher is the only stranger in town on the day they have had their first homicide in thirty years.The cops arrest Reacher and the police chief turns eyewitness to place him at the scene. As nasty secrets leak out, and the body count mounts, one thing is for sure.

They picked the wrong guy to take the fall.

Review

I have long seen the Jack Reacher series of books dominating the sales charts but up until now have never given them a go. After reading the first novel in the series though I am certainly glad I did!

Jack is an ex military policeman whose whole life has revolved around the army. When he is forced into leaving he decides to wander America and it just so happens that in this novel he happens to stumble upon the little town of Margrave. Margrave is normally a quiet town, however the first homicide in 30 years has just occurred and a very influential witness places Jack at the scene.

What follows is a whirlwind introduction to Jack and his ability to handle any situation, no matter how high the odds are stacked against him. Even though Jack is portrayed as an almost super hero like character I do still like him and empathised with him. The novel does throw twist after twist at the reader, some are totally ridiculous and others easy to spot coming, but I still enjoyed the ride.

The book builds to an exciting climax and I found myself hooked in to discover what happened. Whilst not the most original or well written crime novel I have read I still enjoyed it and will continue with the series.

8/10

Edited by tunn300

Water for Elephants - Sara Gruen

518YaEE0PgL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-18,34_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Synopsis Amazon

When Jacob Jankowski, recently orphaned and suddenly adrift, jumps onto a passing train, he enters a world of freaks, grifters, and misfits - the Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show on Earth - a second-rate travelling circus struggling to survive during the Great Depression, making one-night stands in town after endless town. Jacob, a veterinary student who almost earned his degree, is put in charge of caring for the circus menagerie. It is there that he meets Marlena, the beautiful young star of the equestrian act, who is married to August, the charismatic but twisted animal trainer. He also meets Rosie, an elephant who seems untrainable until he discovers a way to reach her. "Water for Elephants" is illuminated by a wonderful sense of time and place. It tells a story of a love between two people that overcomes incredible odds in a world in which even love is a luxury that few can afford.

Review

I have had this book for a while now and kept putting off reading it. I had heard all the great reviews and the blurb certainly sounded exciting so I am not sure why. Anyway last month me and my wife were at a bit of a loose end and decided to visit the cinema. Water for Elephants was the only film we really fancied so we decided to watch it. We both found it extremely enjoyable and that spurred me on to bumping the book up my reading list.

The book and film are very similar, the one key difference being the role of August in the film being more than just an equestrian director. He is more akin to the Uncle Al role in the book (Uncle Al does not make the film at all).

I have to say even though I read this book in small chunks over a long period of time I thought it was excellent. The central characters of Jacob, Marlena and August are very well written and the love triangle that develops between them is handled superbly. For me the real magic of the book was learning about these huge traveling circuses of the 30's. There is lots of factual detail here and I think Gruen has done a lot of research to ensure she got this right.

The book builds nicely to an exciting climax and although I already knew the ending as it is given in the first few pages I was still incredibly tense. Overall I highly recommend this book and watching the film too.

9/10

Fantastic review Tunn,I have read 'Water for Elephants', its a wonderful story, I still haven't seen the film.

Thanks Charm. You should definitely give the film a go, there are some differences but I still found it very entertaining.

I managed to finish Killing Floor and read One Day and The Perfect Murder during a short break to France over the weekend and start of this week. Will try and catch up with reviews before embarking on a little bit of longer holiday on Sunday where I am sure I will read many more books.

Have made a start on The Redbreast by Jo Nesbo and am now 25% in. I found it a little difficult to follow at first but am now really getting in to the story.

Thanks Charm. You should definitely give the film a go, there are some differences but I still found it very entertaining.

I managed to finish Killing Floor and read One Day and The Perfect Murder during a short break to France over the weekend and start of this week. Will try and catch up with reviews before embarking on a little bit of longer holiday on Sunday where I am sure I will read many more books.

Have made a start on The Redbreast by Jo Nesbo and am now 25% in. I found it a little difficult to follow at first but am now really getting in to the story.

Happy reading tunn, I am planning on seeing 'Water for Elephants' at some point :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well have just returned from an extremely hot holiday in Spain. Managed to read 4 books whilst I was out there: The Redbreast, A Tiny Bit Marvelous, Pigeon English and Dexter in the Dark.

Still have a couple of reviews to catch up with from before I went on holiday so will be posting my reviews over the next few days for all books.

Have also treated myself to a few new kindle books. Have bought 'Before I Go to Sleep' by S.J. Watson as I remember reading about someone on here really enjoying reading it as an Amazon Vine member and wanting it since then. 'Nemesis' by Jo Nesbo which is the next book in the Harry Hole series I have not read. Finally 'Afterwards' by Rosamund Lupton as her first book Sister is one of my favourite reads so far this year.

Edited by tunn300

Am very jealous .. have just returned from a one day :o holiday in the Isle of Wight and it pales into insignificance compared (rather like my tan I suspect :D)

Hope you didn't get sand in your kindle.

What did you make of 'A Tiny Bit Marvellous' Tunn? .. not that I'm hassling you or anything but you know, you've had your holiday now so nose to the grindstone .. get on with it .. you wouldn't find me getting behind with my reviews :wink:

Hi Poppy,

Sorry for making you jealous! My kindle fared well on the beach actually and I am certainly glad I didn't have to pack all those books in my case.

I will write a full review of 'A Tiny Bit Marvelous' over the next few days but overall I did enjoy it. I didn't find it as funny as I was expecting based upon other reviews I read on Amazon etc, but there were some parts that had me in stitches.

The part of the book that did not quite sit right with me was the writing when done from the perspective of the teenage daughter. I found the language she used to be very dated or the sort of mocking teen speak done so well by Vicky Pollard in Little Britain. Maybe this is what the author intended but I didn't quite get that impression.

Overall it was a fairly good holiday read and I certainly raced through it. It will not really be a book I remember by next year and not one I would recommend as a must read to anyone. I think it suited the beach fairly well and required no real thinking on my part.

Now I promise I will get on with my reviews asap and follow your sterling example!! How are you fining living in Cirencester?

One Day - David Nicholls

41Sy6MhCDqL._SL500_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-52,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Synopsis Amazon

'I can imagine you at forty,' she said, a hint of malice in her voice. 'I can picture it right now.'

He smiled without opening his eyes. 'Go on then.'

15th July 1988. Emma and Dexter meet for the first time on the night of their graduation. Tomorrow they must go their separate ways.

So where will they be on this one day next year?

And the year after that? And every year that follows?

Twenty years, two people, ONE DAY.

Review

I have this book on my TBR pile for quite some time. My wife read it when we were on holiday last year, thought it was brilliant and has been pestering me to read it ever since. With the film due to come out at the end of August and my wife desperate to see it I thought I better read the book first.

The book follows the lives of Emma and Dexter, two people who meet at university, and follows their lives on St Switherns day every year for 20 years. Over that time we get to see their relationship develop to a conclusion that most people would predict. There is a big twist at the end that does come as a bit of a shock and I now understand why my wife was crying her eyes out in a Portuguese airport last summer.

I found the book enjoyable and very easy to read as it bounces along at a fair old pace. With regards to the central characters I certainly liked Emma and could sympathise with her point of view and behaviors. I had much more trouble with the character of Dexter as his self-righteousness and over-confidence made me dislike him. When things are not going so well for him in the book I did not feel the sympathy I maybe should have.

I really like the pace of the book and found myself constantly reading on to find out what would happen next year. I also have to praise Nicolls in that he did not rush the relationship at all and allowed it to grow slowly and include all the things real friendships have in them, fights, anger and dependence.

One of my problems with the book is that over the time period of 20 years so much happens in the real world that is not echoed in the book. I know the book is centered on the two main characters and their relationship but I felt through their actions we should have learn more about what was happening in the world around them. There are some references, particularly with Emma at the start, but I felt this would have enhanced the book for me and shown time moving on.

Overall I did enjoy this book and would recommend it to others. I am certainly interested to see what they have done with the film.

9/10

Edited by tunn300

The Perfect Murder - Peter James

51bneQdjVoL._SL500_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-47,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Synopsis Amazon

Victor Smiley and his wife Joan have been married for nearly twenty years, but each barely recognises the person they wake up with every morning. Victor is so fed up with his job at the local egg-box factory –as well as distracted by his visits to his favourite prostitute, Kamila– that he hardly notices his wife’s constant ridicule. Joan has resigned herself to the fact that Victor will never see beyond her double-chin to a new hair cut or outfit. She even puts up with his constant snoring which keeps her up night after night. Just. For unbeknownst to Victor, Joan is taking her sweet revenge: spending large amounts of money on his credit card, kitting herself out in a sexy new wardrobe, to impress her secret lover, Don. But then, as the bills mount, Victor loses his job. Soon he realises that the only way he can achieve his dream of setting up home with Kamila is to get Joan out of the picture. But Victor is about to get a nasty surprise. For he’s not the only one with murder on his mind . . .

Review

This is a quick-read book that I purchased when I got my kindle last year.

The story follows a man and wife who have completely fallen out of love with each other and now detest the other so much they want to kill them. The reader then gets to see both sides reasons for the hatred and the formation of their plot to kill the other.

As it is a quick read the story is very short and has short chapters that made me race through it. I finished this in one morning reading session and did enjoy it. The story is fairly silly but in a humorous way and I did chuckle a lot at the ending. I have never read any of Peter James's work before but I certainly enjoyed this and may well give more of his work a go.

These quick-reads were intended to turn people back onto reading and I think that this book would achieve this goal. I recommend this book as an amusing tale that will certainly have you hooked to find out the ending.

7/10

Edited by tunn300