Rose reads 2011

I'mRose

I also bought some books cause I'm a bad person, but they were so cheap!!

van Gogh by Gerard Knuttel

The Naked and the Dead by Norman Mailer

How to Succeed in Business without really Trying by Shepherd Mead

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Tool

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne

The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M Auel

Great Expectations by Charles Dickens

Edited by I'mRose

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What an excellent haul, Rose.

Happy reading! :D

Thank you, there's a new second hand shop in my town and all the books are like 1 € and almost all of them are in great condition. Very dangerous. :P

BAD persons don't buy books..

:D Excellent point, I guess I'm just feeling bad for my other unread books. Also I have about 12 books that's just waiting to be ordered at adlibris :-P

So I recently got a job, a permanenttemporary one with good pay (still think I'm dreaming!) Naturally I wanted to award myself something and then I thought what do I like....books. Yes now I'm gonna buy all those books I've been staring at bu not buying cause I didn't have the money. So today I pressed the buy bottom for these lovely things.

ROTH, VERONICA:DIVERGENT

REVIS, BETH:ACROSS THE UNIVERSE

GREEN, JOHN:LET IT SNOW

GREEN, JOHN:WILL GRAYSON WILL GRAYSON

SPRUNK, JON:SHADOW'S SON

MAGUIRE, GREGORY:WICKED

FRANKEL, BETHENNY:NATURALLY THIN

COUPLAND, DOUGLAS:GENERATION A

SMITH-READY, JERI:SHADE

CHBOSKY, STEPHEN:PERKS OF BEING A WALLFLOWER

CRUZ, MELISSA DE LA:MASQUERADE

edit cause I don't know English all of a sudden, it was supposed to say permanent not temporary... :-P

Edited by I'mRose

Congratulations on your new job, Rose! friends0.gif

I loved reading Wicked and The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and I'm interested in reading Divergent. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on all your new purchases. :)

I also bought some books cause I'm a bad person, but they were so cheap!!

The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M Auel

Your in for a treat with this one Rose :)

So I recently got a job, a permanenttemporary one with good pay (still think I'm dreaming!) Naturally I wanted to award myself something and then I thought what do I like....books. Yes now I'm gonna buy all those books I've been staring at bu not buying cause I didn't have the money. So today I pressed the buy bottom for these lovely things.

edit cause I don't know English all of a sudden, it was supposed to say permanent not temporary... :-P

Congratulations on your new job definitely a good excuse to treat yourself :D

• 1 month later...

I've started my new job and oh my world there is so much to learn. My head is not working, like I'm turning the toaster on but forget the bread, not working.

I got all my books a few weeks ago and so far I've read two of them. Divergent and Shade. I think this is exactly what I need to get out of my funk. You can say what you want about YA novels but they are a fun and quick read and I have to say Divergent was a real page turner!

Now I'm on to The perks of being a wallflower and so far it's been really good!

• 2 weeks later...

Today I finished The Perks of being a wallflower. It was such a good book. I started it expecting to love it and I did. It took me longer to get through then I expected since it's a short book. It wasn't that it was boring but I think that for ones I did not skim any pages but read every single word.

I highly recommend it.

Also I'm to tired to write a proper review. :-P

Oh no I bought another book, frick! How did that happen?? No I mean seriously I really did not need to do that. I should not be allowed to watch book hauls on youtube cause they are seriously dangerous.

But they said it was mixture of Hary Potter and the golden compass and my hands magically floted over to adlibris and somehow managed to push the but button. Frick!

I know I'm in good company here. Why why do we buy more books when we have so much to read? :doh:

It was Emerald atlas by John Stephens btw.

I've heard good things about the Emerald Atlas Rose, enjoy!

(and don't feel bad about buying books - it's what we do :giggle:)

Omg I love that, "it's what we do" :D That is very very true.

Oh how I love to cross a book of the list. I just finished Masquerade by Melissa De La Cruez. It was a good book, easy to read and a good continuation to the series. It's not a series I'm totally hooked on and I don't feel like I need to get the next one right now.

It's teen age vampires and high school drama, which is always enjoyable. I've also been listening to Marked by PC Cast. I have about 50 minutes to drive to and from work every day and this is a good book to keep me company. It's a bit predictable but the woman who reads it does the voices really good and the characters are interesting and funny.

Now I'm going to try to finish The Book Thief and Dubliners for some reason I can not seem to get into either one of these.

So I read a couple of books over the last few days. Both were very short and took about two sittings to get through.

The first one was van Gogh by Gerard Knuttel I have to admit I bought this at a flee market only because of the Dr Who episode Vincent and the Doctor. It was an interesting read about the tragic life of a brilliant man. I didn't know that he painted some of his most beloved work when he was very ill. It was a very interesting book and it has some lovely pictures of his paintings.

The second one was How to Succeed in Business without really Trying by Shepherd Mead which I bought in a second hand store. I knew I had read something about this being a Broadway play with Dan Radcliff so I thought why not? It was such a funny book and now working at an office I can imagine that some of this is not to far from the truth even though it was written that many years ago. :-)

I did something I never do, I actually gave a away some books. Well I gave them to my mom cause I knew she'd like them and I would not get a chance to read them for a long time. I didn't buy them my self, I got them from someone who didn't want them anymore. Now I can read them if I ever feel like it but they won't take up space on my book shelf or my TBR list :-)

Demonens Död By Anne Holt

Den inre Kretsen by Marie Jungstedt

Nattrond by Helene Tursten

Drömmar ur Snö by Anna Jansson

I was going through my list and saw that there is a lot of books on there that I've started but never finsihed.

Do any of you do this? Of course there are always books you thought you'd like but didn't and therefore set aside but in this case there are a lot of them I remember liking but other books just got in the way.

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins (sort of reading)

Populärmusik från vittula by Mikael Nemi

Walden by Henry David Therou

Dubliners by james Joyce

Catch 22 by Joeseph Heller

Stuffed and starved by Raj Patel

The two towers by J.R.R Tolkien

Royal assassin by Robin Hobb

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown

Naturally Thin by Bethenny Frankel (sort of reding)

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

The Left hand of God by Paul Hoffman (currently reading)

The Emerald Atlas: The Books of Beginning by John Stephens (currently reading)

I was going through my list and saw that there is a lot of books on there that I've started but never finsihed.

Do any of you do this?

Yes, more often than I like to think. It's usually if a book takes a bit longer than usual, either because it's longer or a more challenging read. I can run out of steam or need some light relief, and then I don't get back to the original. Funnily enough, it happened to me with The God Delusion too.

Do any of you do this? Of course there are always books you thought you'd like but didn't and therefore set aside but in this case there are a lot of them I remember liking but other books just got in the way.

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins (sort of reading)

Populärmusik från vittula by Mikael Nemi

Walden by Henry David Therou

Dubliners by james Joyce

Catch 22 by Joeseph Heller

Stuffed and starved by Raj Patel

The two towers by J.R.R Tolkien

Royal assassin by Robin Hobb

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown

Naturally Thin by Bethenny Frankel (sort of reding)

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

The Left hand of God by Paul Hoffman (currently reading)

The Emerald Atlas: The Books of Beginning by John Stephens (currently reading)

you must must MUST go back to The Book Thief!!!

To be honest I am a christian and just read the book to see what the fuss was about. The arguments in it didn't really wash with me so eventually I felt I had read enough.

It wasn't the arguments - as someone who was at the time having a good hard think about what I believed, I actually found them very convincing (to the extent that they were the start of my move away from any belief) - but his rather (!) strident manner - almost as objectionable as being required to include religious belief in the school curriculum, and seeing faith schools actually being encouraged. Almost enough to want to emigrate to France.

Another book that, I'm afraid, did absolutely nothing for me, and soon gave up.

Edited by willoyd

Yeah I only got through 2/3 of the God Delusion. To be honest I am a christian and just read the book to see what the fuss was about. The arguments in it didn't really wash with me so eventually I felt I had read enough.

I'm not a Christian but I bought this book for the same reason as you to see what the fuss was about. :-) It's not the type of book you curl up on the sofa and reads for fun, so I think it will just take time, I'll read a chapter every now and again.

I know everyone tells me so, I think it was just that I had read a book that had over 1000 pages just before I picked it up and I wasn't feeling it. I'm thinking of downloading the audio book and listen to it in the car I drive for 2 hours every day. perhaps that will help.

Synopsis: Raised from early childhood in the Redeemer Sanctuary, the stronghold of a secretive sect of warrior monks, Thomas Cale has known only deprivation, punishment, and grueling training. When he escsapes to the outside world, Cale learns that his embittered heart is still capable of loving- and breaking.

But the Redeemers won't accept the defection of their prized pupil without a fight...

I've finished The Left Hand Of God, and I'm not sure what I think. I have this idea that I like this type of books cause my bf always rave about how good they are, but to honest I never found it that interesting. Sure there were moments that I liked but overall I didn't care that much about the characters and the pace of the story was pretty slow at times.

I did like the ending and if I had gotten more into the book I feel that I would have probably figured it out a bit sooner. This is a series and the next book is out, I will not be picking it up any time soon but I did read the back of it in the book shop and I liked how the author had chosen continue the story.

I give it 2,5/5

I went to the second hand store this morning and came home with five books for about 4 €, yay.

First one is The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro. I haven't seen the film or read any of his books so I'm really excited about that one. The only downside is that it's in Swedish and I hope the translational is good. Also the cover is from the movie and not very pretty...but I'll get over it.

Second one is About a boy by Nick Hornby, in this case I have seen the film and loved it so thought I might as well pick the book up.

Third is Huckelberry Finn by Mark Twain. I have a tendency to buy a lot of classics and then don't ever get around to reading them. But hey it was really cheap and I will read it eventually..one day.

Roots by Alex Haley, cause I always wanted to read it but I've never seen it in a store before.

Lastly I bought Hamlet by Shakespeare. I've never read any Shakespeare before, just small sections of certain plays from school. How I managed to get through my entire education without having to read any of his work is still a mystery to me. Well it's never to late to start I guess. Once again I hope the translation is ok.