Trying to download mobi file?

vodkafan

Hi guys experimenting with my kindle- tried to down load a free book from Project Gutenburg,(via laptop/usb) which is a mobi file- it appears in my kindle documents folder (instantaneously )but why does it not appear on my items page? Where is it and why can't I access it like the other books? As a further experiment I also put a word document of my own into the kindle- same thing. Nowhere to be seen? What am I doing wrong? :irked:

Hi guys experimenting with my kindle- tried to down load a free book from Project Gutenburg,(via laptop/usb) which is a mobi file- it appears in my kindle documents folder (instantaneously )but why does it not appear on my items page? Where is it and why can't I access it like the other books? As a further experiment I also put a word document of my own into the kindle- same thing. Nowhere to be seen? What am I doing wrong? :irked:

Plug in your Kindle and drag the files that you want into the 'documents' file. When you eject it, it should work fine.

I vaguely recall the same thing happening to me with a Word document. Have you tried emailing it to your free kindle email address, and picking up the document from there? I think that's how I got around it.

No haven't tried this. How do I find out what my kindle email address is?

It should be something like username@free.kindle.com where your username is the first part of your email address that you use to sign into Amazon. Just make sure it has 'free' in the email address title, as the other one (username@kindle.com) has a charge linked to it, I think. :huh:

It should be something like username@free.kindle.com where your username is the first part of your email address that you use to sign into Amazon. Just make sure it has 'free' in the email address title, as the other one (username@kindle.com) has a charge linked to it, I think. :huh:

thanks bobblybear!

It says in your Amazon 'Manage Your Kindle' page, right at the top :)

Lexie, I have been twice to my "manage your kindle" page and had a good look around but there is no free email address there, at the top or anywhere; only the one you have to pay a charge on.

Do only folks with the 3G version get the free email? I have the ordinary wifi one.

Although Kindle is supposed to support mobi files I have been told by a friend to get a software program called calista. But I am still not sure it is simply something I am not doing right.

^ I think the software may be called Calibre. That is what I have anyway. It is a great little program which converts files from one format to another.

I only have the non-free email address on my Manage Your Kindle page. Can you not try to use the free one anyway? It will simply be yourusername@free.kindle.com. The worst that can happen is that it will bounce back. :dunno:

^ I think the software may be called Calibre. That is what I have anyway. It is a great little program which converts files from one format to another.

I only have the non-free email address on my Manage Your Kindle page. Can you not try to use the free one anyway? It will simply be yourusername@free.kindle.com. The worst that can happen is that it will bounce back. :dunno:

Hi bobblybear. Rooting around in the info pages it looks like I have to actually set up the free email . So that is why I don't have it showing. I will let you know how I get on. Still doesn't explain the USB problem though. That might be something to do with the whispernet. Maybe.

Edited by vodkafan