Jessi's Reading List - 2011

Jessi

Vanity Fair – William Makepeace Thackeray (4/5)

I do not think I have ever taken so much time to read a book as I did this one, having started it when it was the book of the ‘month on this forum.’ I stopped and started a lot and found it initially hard to get into. But in the end, I loved it. It was a lot of fun to read. Rebecca’s’ exploits were at times fun to read and at other times I was disgusted with her - I swung between having immense pity and then being really annoyed at Amelia. This really is the novel without a hero. In the end, I did love Rawdon though. I think it is through his character that we get to see Thackeray develop a character. The two leading ladies are much the same as they were at the end of the book as they were at the beginning whereas Rawdon absolutely was not.

I will definitely be re-reading this one (at some point).

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Letters to his Children - Theodore Roosevelt (5/5)

Looking back over the course of the year I have to say this was quite simply one of my favorites to read. It might not come as a big surprise, but there we have it.

Of all the books that were published about him, if there could only be one, this was the one TR wanted this book published. Spanning from 1898 – 1918, these letters reveal TR as a father. In his many letters to his children, Theodore Roosevelt was always quick to give out advice and comfort (and on occasion, ‘preach’) and slow to judge it seemed. When his letters were not full of said advice (over school, career choices etc.), TR wrote to his absent child about their other siblings or what he had been doing, whether that be presidential business or a hunting trip. TR was, famously, never shy over his affection for his children (as some Edwardian fathers were), and in his letters to his children when they were parted, TR confessed more than once that he was ‘homesick’ for them.

This book was so tender and heartwarming and will stay with me for a long time (and will no doubt be re-read many times!).

To be read on a cold night, under a blanket with hot chocolate.

Vanity Fair – William Makepeace Thackeray (4/5)

I do not think I have ever taken so much time to read a book as I did this one, having started it when it was the book of the ‘month on this forum.’ I stopped and started a lot and found it initially hard to get into. But in the end, I loved it. It was a lot of fun to read. Rebecca’s’ exploits were at times fun to read and at other times I was disgusted with her - I swung between having immense pity and then being really annoyed at Amelia. This really is the novel without a hero. In the end, I did love Rawdon though. I think it is through his character that we get to see Thackeray develop a character. The two leading ladies are much the same as they were at the end of the book as they were at the beginning whereas Rawdon absolutely was not.

I will definitely be re-reading this one (at some point).

So glad you enjoyed Vanity Fair Jessi, Becky Sharp was my favourite character even though I wouldn't like her as a friend in real life.

Beautiful Days - Anna Godbersen (4/5)

I had to read Bright Young Things before I read the sequel, Beautiful Days, and I thoroughly enjoyed them both. This series is set in New York in the 1920s and is just as brilliant as The Luxe series. Following three young women to their goals (one to be part of a family, another to marriage and a third to fame), these books explore all strands of society from the speakeasies to White Cove families. The character are strong and bold and the story matches.

Fun, easy and interesting. I can’t wait for book 3.