Books what I readed last year and ones what I might read in 2007!

Dupin

Plus, (as Sugar appeared to sense elsewhere) I have a bit of a weakness for lists.

Nuffin' if not insightful, me! :roll:

Hamlet – Bill thingy

York Notes on Hamlet – (yes, I have a nerve to include this!)

;):roll: In fact, I don't think there is a smilie that shows quite how much I'm laughing at that!

...and Liz, the only book I'd make any attempt to prevent you reading is The Aunt's Story by Patrick White.

Words cannot express how excrutiating this book was. Not even the words of White himself could do justice to my irritation, ha!

Ooh, there's about half a dozen there on your 2006 list that I've read & enjoyed too. Nice mix you've got there. And we had a discussion some time ago about male/female authors & most of us seemed to have leaned one way or the other, if I recall. I think the majority of my books at the time were written by male authors & they still feature predominently on my shelves (well, I'm a huge Pratchett fan & I have all of his books, therefore a large chunk of shelf-space is taken up by him alone - LOL!).

I'm looking forward to seeing what your reading list for 2007 looks like!

...and Liz, the only book I'd make any attempt to prevent you reading is The Aunt's Story by Patrick White.

Words cannot express how excrutiating this book was. Not even the words of White himself could do justice to my irritation, ha!

Righty Ho. Comment taken on board. Thanks for the warning. :roll:;)

That's an impressive list. I spotted a few on there I'd like to try myself, but I've got to get through some of the ones i've already got sittnig on my shelf before I tackle them...

Hello Dupin!:roll:

I saw that you mentioned McTeague by Frank Norris: it's brilliant, do read it! I studied it for the first year of my degree, and I loved it. It's very dark, dismal and grisly but compulsively so.

I want to read Don Quixote too, particularly the new version of it as the artwork is super sexy. Err, I mean, the translation's meant to be excellent *ahem*

My goodness! Some serious reading. At the rate I read it would probably be a five list for me. However, Kell and NuttyMum might give you a run for your money.

I am not sure that lists and targets are always a good idea. Maybe a topic for a new thread here as I reckon we all have different ways of using lists and setting targets and reasons for doing or not doing lists. It has to be a balance though or else the pleasure is taken out of reading because of the unconscious (very conscious, in some cases) pressure to get down the list.

Good luck with it though and let us know your thoughts on some of them.

As for this Bill bloke...would be good to meet him. Think he's cropped up somewhere before...(scatches head):roll:

PP

LOL - I know for a fact that i won't read all the books on my own list - they're there because those are the unread books currently sitting onmy shelves, so I aim to try & read them all at some point, but there are a handful that have been tehre for more than a year now & I still haven't picked them up because more interesting-looking ones grab my attention.

And to tell the truth, one or two on some of the other lists on here are piquing my interest & I can see myself getting hold of them at some point myself! In fact there are several right here on your list, Dupin...

Firstly, yes (Dogmatix) I am mad! And putting Henry Miller on my list only serves to convince me of just what a hopeless mental case I am!

Polka Dot Rock (may I call you Polka?), I have been itching to read McTeague since the day I purchased it from a charity shop in 2005. I'd never knowingly heard of Frank Norris at the time but the picture on the cover convinced me to purchase it because it was a still from legendary film director Erich Von Stroheim's silent classic Greed, made in 1924, and based on McTeague.

I'd seen the film several years before and was really knocked-out by it. Apparently, Von Stroheim went to phenomenal lengths to capture the mood and feel of Norris' novel, arriving at a final cut which lasted 9 hours! It was later shortened to a more modest 5 before finally arriving at a 2 and a half hour cut, carried out by a man who hadn't even read the script, much less the original novel. And yet, sources tell me that for an adapted screenplay it's remarkably faithful to it's original. I think you've just made me convince myself that I should start reading it imminently.

As for Don Quixote, it is such a legendary piece of literature I find it difficult (iconoclastic though I am) to pluck up the courage to actually read it. The mere sight of it leaves me daunted - and (alas) my copy doesn't even have

Dupin said

Oh, and Purple Poppy, you're not likely to tackle a reading list as expansive as mine when you're too busy with other, more frivolous pursuits, like writing books of your own! Don't you realise that reading at every available opportunity is the ideal way of leaving ones own literary ambitions on the backburner forever, ha!

LOL. yes it has begun to dawn on me that it might be difficult as I'm writing an average 2000-3000 words a day, but KW manages so I will just have to try. And anyway, as I say it might be trivial and rubbish , in which case I'll just go back to reading. Much safer methinks....but we'll see!

PP