Character...

Kell

(Pinched from Booking Through Thursday)

If you could be a character from any book, who would you be? And why?

I’d like to be Ronia in Ronia, The Robber’s Daughter by Astrid Lindgren. She has such a definite view of the world – simple and childlike (well, she is still a child), but also quite mature. She’s able to stand on her own two feet and survive in difficult and dangerous situations. Ronia is quick-witted, compassionate, passionate and caring, strong-willed and capable. She also has the most amazing time living in the forest throughout the summer and in a robbers’ fort in the winter – how cool is that?

She’s surrounded by people she loves and who love her in return, she knows right from wrong and acts on it, and she lives wild and free with magical creatures all around. I think it must be some kind of wonderful to be like that...

I would be Catherine Earnshaw from Wuthering Heights because I would love to have the freedom to roam the moors as she did & to love & be loved with such a passion as she shared with Heathcliff appeals to my romantic side :)

Well if there's any chance that Mr Darcy really did look like, sound like, and behave like Colin Firth then I'd like to be Elizabeth Bennet but if he was more like Laurence Olivier then I'd prefer to be Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next. She's probably the most ordinary, extraordinary person I know of in literature. I'd never ever have another dull day (though I would have quite a few terrifying one's) I'd get to jump into books as well and hob-nob with literary characters. I might even get to do a stand in stint for Elizabeth Bennet.

Why's that, Bunce? :)

Harry Potter was, and still is, an icon. However mysterious and magical the stories of him and his friends are within the imaginary world of Hogwarts, his characteristics; kindness, tenderness and his never-say-die attitude is one to look up to - not only for kids, but for adults too. This is a reason I believe Harry Potter became the phenomenon that it now is, and rightly so. J. K. Rowling presents the protagonist, Harry in a loveable way, and is also quite charming. I would love to be Harry Potter - another great characteristic of his I'm allured to is how he is deceivingly strong (in a magic sense), but is never tempted to abuse his powers.

Another character I would like to be, even if she is female, is Jane Eyre. Jane Eyre, although she's not always ridden the 'high-life' as such, nor does she have magical powers, is a great protagonist any reader can empathise with. She has morales, and morales that, in my eyes, are right. She is kind-hearted, caring, giving, loving, good-looking (at least, that's how I picture her...) and well educated. All that, and she's rich. Bonus!

Edited by Bunce

Disconcertingly my first and unthinking thought when I read the question was Clare Abshire, the wife from 'The Time Traveler's Wife'. :o I liked her character and her talents, and to be honest her relationship with Henry which is intense and devoted, despite it's inherent problems.

Then I thought for a little while and I would have to second Poppyshake, and say Thursday Next. However bizarre the scenario, Thursday moves forward with a sense of humour and determination. For an extraordinary character Thursday is remarkably real and easy to relate to. Just how the hell did Jasper Fforde pull that one off? :cool:

When I was young I wanted to be Heidi, as a young adult I loved Demelza from the Poldark books by Winston Graham. Now I don't really know. If I was male I'd like to be Atticus Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird. What I admire most about him is his integrity and humour.

I've wanted to be so many characters over the years, but the earliest I can remember would be George in the Famous Five series. I wanted to have that strong character and go off on adventures with friends. In fact, a lot of the characters I wanted to be as a child were from Enid Blyton books, as I devoured every thing she wrote, and I read and re-read them many times. I also wanted to be Darrell in the Malory Towers series (another strong personality and she got to go to boarding school), in fact anyone who had lots of siblings or friends around them was a target for my affection, being an only child myself who was extremely shy, I spent most of my childhood alone with a book, so these characters were always people I dreamed of being.

As I've grown up, I want to be more and more characters I read, just because I wish I could experience every type of life! I'd love to be a great mother like Marmee in Little Women, as well as wanting to be the big hearted, head strong, talented Jo March in the same book! I want to be both of the formidable women Mapp and Lucia in the E. F. Benson series, but I also want to be the brave and caring Eleanor Dashwood in Sense and Sensibility. I'd love to be the brave and determined action hero Rose Hathaway in the Vampire Academy series, but I'd also love to live be a princess like Mia in The Princess Diaries series by Meg Cabot, and I'd love to be thrust into an unexpected adventure like Olivia Joules in Helen Fielding's book.

The more I think of this, the more people I'd love to be, and I've only started on of some of the female characters so far!

Edited by chesilbeach