Kell's 2011 Reading Log

Kell

I am the opposite, I enjoyed A Fearful Symmetry more than TTW, although I did think TTW was fantastic. AFS was so unusual and original and left me feeling very disarmed and uncomfortable, not good feelings some might say but to me it showed the power of her words. I can't imagine where Audrey gets her ideas from!

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Xan and I went to the library this morning and I was tempted by some of the books in the children's and teen section (because that's the only bit we visited). Came home with five books for him and three for me. Mine are:

- Abadazad book 3: The Puppet, the Professor and the Prophet by J M Dematteis and Mike Ploog*

- Cat Royal book 1: The Diamond of Drury Lane by Julia Golding **

- Barnaby Grimes book 1: Curse of the Night Wolf by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell***

* I read the first two in the series last year and enjoyed them. there was supposed ot be a 4th book in the series (actually, there were originally plans for at least 6) but the series was discontinued after only three. Such a shame.

** This will count as one of my What's in a Name? challenge choices and I've been thinking about trying this series for a while now.

*** I've loved everything else I've read by this pair, so I thought I'd check out this series too. Combines historical, supernatural and adventure, so should be right up my street!

W... W... W... Wednesdays

* What are you currently reading?

* What did you recently finish reading?

* What do you think you’ll read next?

wwwwednesday250511.jpg

My answers:

What are you currently reading?

Simon Scarrow – The Legion

Exciting so far - I'd expect nothing less from Mr Scarrow's wonderful Roman series!

Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell – Barnaby Grimes: Curse of the Night Wolf

I adore The Edge Chronicles by this writer-author team and I thought I’d give another of their series a try. So far, so good!

What did you recently finish reading?

Frances Hodgson Burnett – The Secret Garden

I think I’m going to have to get hold of more work by this author because right on the heels of A Little Princess, this was another full-marks read! The use of Yorkshire dialect is a lovely touch and never detracts from the ease of understanding, but adds a warmth and homeliness that would otherwise be sadly missing. Absolutely glorious!

Audrey Niffenegger – Her Fearful Symmetry

After her extraordinary debut with The Time Traveler’s Wife, Niffenegger set the bar high for herself. Unfortunately, I felt this offering fell quite far short. A major let-down. I just hope that whatever Niffenegger produces next will rise closer to the quality of that wonderful debut…

J. M. DeMatteis and Mike Ploog – Abadazad: The Puppet, the Professor and the Prophet (Book 3)

This third installment doesn’t really live up to the previous two books, but it’s not bad at all. I really wish they had continued with the series, because it’s left on rather a cliff-hanger. Still, if you like comic books, fantasy and a classic-type children’s story with a twist, you may well enjoy this series.

What do you think you’ll read next?

Julia Golding – The Diamond of Drury Lane (Cat Royal 1)

I picked this one up from the library to be an extra read for my What’s in a Name? challenge. It’s one I’ve considered for some time now and I decided it was finally time to take the plunge. Hopefully I’ll enjoy it enough to continue with the rest of the series too.

Michel Faber – The Crimson Petal and the White

This one has sat on Mount To-Be-Read for about two years now, so I reckoned it was time to take it down, dust it off, and give it a try. I’ve heard such good reports of it that I’m hoping it will live up to those positive reviews and similarly entertain me!

BOOKING THROUGH THURSDAY

Do you ever feel like you’re in a reading rut? That you don’t read enough variety? That you need to branch out, spread your literary wings and explore other genres, flavors, styles?

I do occasionally lose my reading mojo and get into a bit of a funk where I just can’t seem to get into anything, but I usually find that if I go back to an old favourite, I slowly get drawn out of it. Out-Of-Funk-Favourites include such wonders as Ronia, the Robber’s Daughter by Astrid Lindgren, The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis, and the Stand by Stephen King – when I read one of those, my mojo tends to return.

As for branching out, I actually read pretty much any genre – except out-and-out romances (we’re talking your Mills and Boon type). I also tend to avoid teen angst paranormal romance (although I did make the exception for The Twilight Saga – not that it was worth it!) as I just find myself getting annoyed at how whiny the characters are (I also usually find them two-dimensional and incredibly predictable).

I’ll read pretty much anything though – historical fiction, sci-fi/fantasy (although I don’t tend to read an awful lot of those), crime fiction, paranormal/supernatural fiction, thrillers, horrors, young adult (even including some children’s books), classic and contemporary, comedy, chick/lad-lit steam punk, alternative history and graphic novels. At the moment, I’m also enjoying the whole mash-up genre.

Although there are certain authors I’ll collect (Kelley Armstrong, Christopher Brookmyre, Terry Pratchett, Stuart McBride and Simon Scarrow are the main contenders here), I’m not afraid to try new writers when I find something that appeals, and I think that with my constant genre-hopping, there’s little danger of me ever feeling my reading lacks variety.

wwwdx.jpg

My answers:

See last week’s Teaser Tuesday for a taste of life in the Roman army…

Julia Golding – The Diamond of Drury Lane

See yesterday’s Teaser Tuesday for a taste of life behind the scenes of a theatre in Regency London.

Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell – Barnaby Grimes: Curse of the Night Wolf

A wonderful, exciting adventure in a nameless Dickensian-style city – with a supernatural twist! This will definitely appeal to all fans of The Edge Chronicles, with both the wit and flair of this excellent writer/illustrator team. I’ve yet to find any of their work I don’t like!

Michel Faber – The Crimson Petal and the White

Continuing with my foray into historical fiction, I’ll be delving into Victorian London, with a tale of a prostitute trying to make a better life for herself…

May Book Round-Up

Another month, another batch of books. Eight books finished this month, mostly historical fiction, but one book I was sent for review and six of them covered areas of the What’s in a Name? challenge too…

00finishedinmayoverview.jpg

BOOKS FINISHED:

25. Jeanne Kalogridis – The Borgia Bride – 4/5

The Borgia family were notorious and seeing them through the eyes of Sancha de Aragon (who married the youngest Borgia son, Jofre), is absolutely fascinating and the writing is incredibly vivid. I absolutely loved this one and will be getting hold of other novels by this author as soon as possible.

The characters are engaging, the story is filled with intrigue, and the writing is wonderful. A must-read for fans of historical fiction – especially if you like your fiction based firmly on fact!

26. Eoin Colfer – Plugged – 3/5

I felt this new, more adult offering wasn’t quite as finely honed as Colfer’s Artemis Fowl series, but there’s definitely potential for a whole new series here. McEvoy is a likeable character and I desperately wanted him to succeed – I wouldn’t mind seeing him again in another story.

At under 300 pages, it’s a little shorter than I thought it could have been, but if you like Colfer’s style, this is definitely worth a try. (SEE FULL REVIEW HERE)

27. Philip Pullman – The Ruby in the Smoke – 3/5

I picked it up from the library for my What’s in a Name? Challenge and I’m very glad I did. It’s the first time I’ve read any Pullman, and although the His Dark Materials series doesn’t really appeal to me, I think I might be tempted to read the others in the Sally Lockhart series… and I think I’ll be watching the television adaptation of the Ruby in the Smoke (which, I believe, starred Billie Piper) some time soon too!

There’s just enough intrigue and suspense to keep you hooked till the end, and those who enjoy good fiction from the young adult section will most probably find this a pretty decent read

28. Frances Hodgson Burnett – A Little Princess – 5/5

I had an abridged version of this story when I was very young, but this was the first time I’d read the whole unabridged novel and I’m SO glad I did! Sara Crewe is quite the most likeable child ever written. Although she’s good and kind and intelligent, she’s never uppity or spoiled, however, she’s not perfect – she has moment where she really has to rein herself in and bite her tongue, and that makes her all the better. Most of all, though, it’s the sheer magic of the tale that is so all-encompassing – I really felt involved and desperately wanted everything to work out well for Sara. This is one children’s classic that really couldn’t be better!

29. Audrey Niffenegger – Her Fearful Symmetry – 2/5

After her extraordinary debut with The Time Traveler’s Wife, Niffenegger set the bar high for herself. Unfortunately, I felt this offering fell quite far short. It’s a shame, because there are some really fascinating characters (martin, the OCD neighbour upstairs in particular), but the plot was just too predictable. There wasn’t a single major “reveal” that I didn’t see coming from a mile off. Overall, I found it rather unsatisfactory – although I tried not to expect something that would knock my socks off, perhaps my expectations were still far too high. A major let-down. I just hope that whatever Niffenegger produces next will rise closer to the quality of that wonderful debut…

30. Frances Hodgson Burnett – The Secret Garden – 5/5

I think I’m going to have to get hold of more work by this author because right on the heels of A Little Princess, this was another full-marks read! Mary Lennox couldn’t be more different from Sara Crewe, although they were both born and spent their early childhoods in India, their experiences and the outcome of their upbringing produces complete opposites – Mary is surly, stubborn, sour and unattractive, and yet this story of her transformation is nothing short of magnificent, so that one becomes very fond of her after a little while. The use of Yorkshire dialect is a lovely touch and never detracts from the ease of understanding, but adds a warmth and homeliness that would otherwise be sadly missing. Absolutely glorious!

31. J. M. DeMatteis and Mike Ploog - Abadazad: The Puppet, the Professor and the Prophet (Book 3) – 2/5

I read the first two books in this series last year. Apparently, the original deal was for eight books, but only four were written and, sadly, only three published (the third isn’t available in the US). It’s a shame, because the idea is rather wonderful and the half-written, half-comic strip style works really well (the artwork is marvelous too).

This third installment doesn’t really live up to the previous two books, but it’s not bad at all. I really wish they had continued with the series, because it’s left on rather a cliff-hanger. Still, if you like comic books, fantasy and a classic-type children’s story with a twist, you may well enjoy this series.

32. Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell - Barnaby Grimes 1: Curse of the Night Wolf – 3/5

If you’re a fan of The Edge Chronicles, you will love this! The wit and flair of this writer and illustrator are perfectly matched, combining an exciting, adventurous story with whimsical and evocative line drawings. Although the city remains unnamed, it’s most certainly based on Victorian London, filled with hansom cabs, messenger boys, ruffians and nobility. The supernatural twist will keep young readers hooked (especially boys – this is perfectly suited to them!), and the antics of Barnaby Grimes will entertain readers of pretty much any age.

01carryingovertojune.jpg

BOOKS STARTED (carrying over to June):

The tenth book is this fantastic historical fiction saga. Cato and Macro are hot on the trail of the escaped gladiator and renegade warrior, Ajax, and hell bent on seeking justice (or is that revenge?) for what Ajax did to Macro and Cato’s fiancé, Julia. But trouble is brewing in Egypt – can Cato (who is now a newly appointed acting Prefect) and Centurion Macro capture their enemy before his actions send the entire region spiraling into turmoil?

Julia Golding – The Diamond of Drury Lane

Cat Royal is an orphan living in the Royal Theatre on Drury Lane in Regency London. There’s mystery and intrigue as she tries to discover a hidden jewel and keep it safe from Billy Shepherd and his brawling gang of barrow boys. Colourful, exciting and mysterious historical fiction for young adult readers.

Booking Through Thursday

Do you read book reviews? Whose do you trust? Do they affect your reading habits? Your buying habits?

I do occasionally read reviews, but I still tend to make a decision on whether or not to read those books without considering that. I’m more likely to trust a review by someone I know and who has similar tastes to me, but the likes of Amazon reviews are tainted these days by authors getting friends and family members to post glowing reviews of their books before they’re even available, and even resorting to “reviewing” their own books, which I think is underhand – it’s more likely to put me off reading a book to be honest!

I tend to look at blogs on the W… W… W… Wednesdays or the Teaser Tuesday trail. If I consistently spot someone who seems to have similar tastes to mine, I tend to take more notice, but if someone tends towards reading a lot of books that don’t interest me, I’m less likely to take a recommendation from them.

fromthelibrary.jpg

Ah, how I love a trip to the library! It might be a hot and sunny day, but on days like this, the library is quiet and cool - hurrah! Xander found himself five books and I chose seven for myself:

Malinda Lo - Ash

Julia Golding - Cat Among the Pigeons (Cat Royal 2)

G.P. Taylor - Mariah Mundi and the Ghost Diamonds (Mariah Mundy 2)

Philip Pullman - The Shadow in the North (Sally Lockhart 2)

Maria V Snyder - Magic Study (Yelena Zaltana 2)

Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell - Return of the Emerald Skull (Barnaby Grimes 2)

Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell - Legion of the Dead (Barnaby Grimes 3)

So, I have till 1st July to read and return them... *rubs hands together in glee*

wwwwed8611.jpg

My answers:

Yes, I’m still reading this one. It’s taking a while, not because it’s not good (it’s fabulous, actually), but because it’s the hardback I’m reading in bed, and I’ve been exhausted by bedtime lately. It’s a bit big to carry around in my handbag (that’s reserved for paperbacks), so it stays home and waits for me to be awake enough to read in bed. I think it should be finished by next week though…

Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell – Barnaby Grimes 2: Return of the Emerald Skull

I picked this up from the library at the weekend and it’s now my handbag book, despite being a hardback, because it’s a small one. I enjoyed the first book in the series, so I’m hoping this sequel will be just as good.

Alex Scarrow – TimeRiders

I’m a huge fan of Simon Scarrow, and I’d been meaning to give his brother, Alex, a try for ages. Well, I finally did and I wasn’t disappointed! I don’t read an awful lot of sci-fi, especially if it features time travel, because I very easily get frustrated when authors ignore time paradox (honestly, I find it absolutely maddening!), but Scarrow handles it well and the fact that both the characters and plot are well-written and exciting helps a great deal! If you’re into sci-fi and time travel, don’t let the fact that this is from the teen/young adult section put you off – it’s well worth picking up! (See my Teaser Tuesday for a taste of this one!)

Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell – Barnaby Grimes 3: Legion of the Dead

I’ll be continuing with the Barnaby Grimes series…

Julia Golding – Cat Among the Pigeons (Cat Royal 2)

Another continuation after reading the first in this series last month…

I know I said last week that I was going to read The Crimson Petal and the White next, but as I got seven books out of the library, I figured I’d better read those first, so I can finish them all before the return date at the end of the month!

BOOKING THROUGH THURSDAY

All things being equal (money, space, etc), would you rather own copies of the books you read? Or borrow them?

I’m pretty much a 50/50 girl at the moment. I do own a lot of books, but not as many as I used to. Until very recent years, I kept ALL my books. Understandably, this meant I ran out of space very quickly (bearing in mind I used to read, on average, 125 books each year). I started using the local library more often when I moved in with my husband, as we had less space and the library was right there on the corner of the street. I became so well-known there (because I was in there pretty much every other day!) that the librarians would keep new books back for me if they thought I’d be interested, as they knew I’d be in either later that day or the next at the very latest!

I started taking part in book exchanges and weeded out some of my older books that I no longer read to sell on Green Metropolis. I then used the money I got there to buy… more books!

As I type this, I currently have about fifty unread books on my shelves waiting for me to pick them up. Depending on how my mood takes me, I sometimes whittle them down a bit more and remove some from the shelves, but mostly I work my way through them when I fancy them.

I’m also using the library again, as I’ve started taking Xander to the Central Library every couple of weeks to choose some books. Of course, while I’m there, I can’t resist picking up some young adult books for myself. I took seven books home for my reading pleasure last week, and I’ve read three of them already.

Nowadays, when I’ve finished with a book I own, I let my sister take whichever ones she wants, and then pass the rest on to my old school library (which is also a public library), as it no longer has a budget for buying new books. I spent a great deal of time n the library through my school years – it was a safe haven for me – so I’m happy I can help by supplying some books to add to their shelves. So far I’ve donated well over one hundred and there will be more!

So to go back and answer the original question – a bit of both! I collect some authors and always keep those, so I like to buy them (or get them as gifts!) in hardback, but the library is great for trying out new authors and genres with no monetary outlay. Hurrah for the library! And yes, I do occasionally borrow from my Mam and sister too…

TEASER TUESDAYS

1. Grab your current read

2. Open to a random page

3. Share two “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page

4. BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)

5. Share the title and author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

ashs.jpg

Ash by Malinda Lo

My teasers:

At night when she sat beside her mother’s grave, wondering if this would be the night that someone – something – came to take her away, as Maire Solanye had warned, she watched the darkness gathering in the nearby trees with equal parts dread and anticipation. What lay beyond those trees?

~ pages 29-30, Ash by Malinda Lo

He looked down at her for a moment, the light of dawn seeking out the colour of his eyes and making him look almost human. Then he turned his horse around to go back into the Wood, and she watched him go, feeling as if her world had split wide open.

~ page 134, Ash by Malinda Lo

I picked up this novel from the library as I love reworked fairytales and this one explores a Cinderella story. I’ve passed the first teaser, but haven’t yet reached the second one. So far I love it! It mixes the “Old Ways” with a little sprinkling of the Fair Folk and some folk magic in a way that seems far more believable than the traditional tale. Aisling (also known as Ash) is the central character and she’s just a normal girl whose world is falling apart after she loses first her mother, then her father, and is left with a step-mother and step-sisters who mistreat her. But is there more to Ash than meets the eye?

wwwwed.jpg

Malinda Lo – Ash

See yesterday’s Teaser Tuesday for a taste of this reworking of the Cinderella story.

Paul Stewart & Chris Riddell – Return of the Emerald Skull (Barnaby Grimes 2)

When it comes to tales that will grab youngsters and really keep them gripped to the end, you’d be hard pushed to find another writer/illustrator team that can match up to these guys. Return of the Emerald Skull is dark and dangerous and just gruesome enough to appeal to young lads!

Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell – Legion of the Dead (Barnaby Grimes 3)

The third installment of the Barnaby Grimes series is every bit as enthralling as the first two. They keep getting darker as Barnaby is thrust into yet more thrilling adventures. I’ll definitely be getting hold of the last in the series…

Yes,I finally found the time to finish this one and it was worth every second! Although this is the tenth novel ni the series, it’s still as fresh and exciting as the first. Scarrow manages to keep the plots and characters cranked right up, and the tension of life in the Roman military is brought sharply to life by an absolute master of historical fiction.

Julia Golding – Cat Among the Pigeons

Julia Golding isn’t afraid to tackle big themes, even though they’re aimed at a younger audience. In The Diamond of Drury Lane, the story revolved around political activism and freedom of speech; this time it’s slavery. Golding never condescends to her audience and she handles her subject matter with great skill. The characters and situations are all wonderful and incredibly real.

Philip Pullman – The Shadow in the North (Sally Lockhart 2)

I really enjoyed meeting Sally Lockhart, so I’m looking forward to following her further adventures in this, the second in the series…

BOOKING THROUGH THURSDAY

With the advent (and growing popularity) of eBooks, I’m seeing more and more articles about how much “better” they can be, because they have the option to be interactive … videos, music, glossaries … all sorts of little extra goodies to help “enhance” your reading experience, rather like listening to the Director’s commentary on a DVD of your favorite movie.

How do you feel about that possibility? Does it excite you in a cutting-edge kind of way? Or does it chill you to the bone because that’s not what reading is ABOUT?

I’ve actually written a couple of articles on the subject of e-readers for The Book Club Forum Blog (Could E-Readers spell the E-nd of books? and E-books Outselling Hardbacks on Amazon…).

Personally, I’m not bothered about book trailers, music and commentaries with my books – I like to read in as peaceful surroundings as I can find, so having noise as part and parcel of a book wouldn’t appeal to me at all. If I were to some day have an e-reader, it would be solely to read books and be able to transport a huge library of them with me at all times, so that if I get bored with my current book, I still have alternatives from which to choose.

However, I love the heft of a physical book in my hands. I love the smell of the paper. I love the gentle rustle of the pages as I turn them and the texture of them under my fingers. I love to turn the book over in my hands and admire the cover art. With an e-reader, I would have none of that tactile experience that adds to my enjoyment of reading.

I’m not saying I’ll never get an e-reader, in fact, I’m certain I will one day have one of my own, but for me, a machine will never replace physical books. There’s nothing quite like browsing in a well-stocked book shop, or losing yourself in the stacks at the library, and downloading a book directly to your e-reader will never be able to replicate that sensation of being completely surrounded by books.

TEASER TUESDAYS

2. Open to a random page

4. BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)

5. Share the title and author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

shadowinthenorth.jpg

My teasers:

And then it happened. Mrs Budd gave a convulsive little shudder, and began to talk in a low voice – her own voice, this time, but brimming with fear and horror.

- page 37, The Shadow in the North by Philip Pullman

But before Mackinnon could answer, a trapdoor banged open somewhere above them, and Mackinnon twisted out of her hands and vanished into the shadows like a rat. She took a step after him, but stopped; she wouldn’t catch him now.

- page 131, The Shadow in the North by Philip Pullman

This is the second book in the Sally Lockhart series and although I haven’t enjoyed it quite as much as the first one, it’s still pretty good, and certainly good enough for me to want to continue with the rest of the series. I’m almost finished, so these teasers make far more sense to me than they might to someone coming to them out of context, but they do both give you a bit of the book’s flavour. Both teasers are from very theatrical moments in the plot – the first at a spiritualist meeting, the second at a music hall show, both of which play a significant part in the proceedings…

This is the second book in the Sally Lockhart series and although I haven’t enjoyed it quite as much as the first one, it’s still pretty good, and certainly good enough for me to want to continue with the rest of the series. I’m almost finished, so these teasers make far more sense to me than they might to someone coming to them out of context, but they do both give you a bit of the book’s flavour. Both teasers are from very theatrical moments in the plot – the first at a spiritualist meeting, the second at a music hall show, both of which play a significant part in the proceedings…

Interesting you should mention this series, as I was looking at it just the other day. Pullman's His Dark Materials series is one of my favourite, ever, but strangely I have never bothered to check up on any of his other work, such as the Sally Lockhart series that you've talked about here. One of my best friends absolutely adores this series, and I have promised him that at one stage I will get around to reading it. Seeing your comments has prompted me to remember to check them out, so thank you.

Edited by Ben

overviewhh.jpg

G. P. Taylor – The Ghost Diamonds (Mariah Mundi 2)

I read the first book in this series and it was about average, but I thought I’d give the second one a chance to see if it improves, because the title character was quite interesting. Let’s see how it pans out…

Malinda Lo – Ash

Ash is an enchanting and unusual retelling of the Cinderella story. It’s at once haunting and achingly beautiful, Malinda Lo has captured the well-known fairytale and transformed it into something completely original and surprising. The characters w all know and love from Cinderella are all present and correct, but there are some changes that mean you won’t expect all that will unfold.

Philip Pullman – The Shadow in the North (Sally Lockhart 2)

I didn’t enjoy this second Sally Lockhart book quite as much as the first one, but it was still good enough for me to want to continue with the series. Sally isn’t a particularly likeable character, but she softens a little during the course of this novel and I’ll be interested to see where things go from here.

Maria V. Snyder – Magic Study (Study 2)

I read the first book, Poison Study, two years ago after buying it on impulse when I saw it for £1 in a shop. It turned out to be a very good read, so I’m continuing with yet another series in the hopes that it will be another one I enjoy!

BOOKING THROUGH THURSDAY

What, if any, kind of music do you listen to when you’re reading? (Given a choice, of course!)

Actually, I don’t tend to listen to music while I’m reading – I prefer things to be as quiet as possible, although if there is background noise, I’m pretty good at filtering it out.

The two places I most often find time to read are in bed and in a cafe before I start work three evening a week. In bed, my hubby tends to have the radio on quietly, so it’s Talk Sport I tune out. At the cafe, it can be anything, but more often than not, it’s a combination of easy listening and soft jazz. Either way, I’m so focussed on my book that I don’t tend to take any notice of it.

The thing is, if I’m actually listening to music, I can’t resist singing along to it, which would distract me from my reading.

TEASER TUESDAYS

2. Open to a random page

magicstudy.jpg

My teasers:

Thanking fate that Goel hadn’t called for his men, I searched his pack. I found brass knuckles, a small whip, a black club, an assortment of knives, a gag, manacles, keys and my camouflage material.

- page 79, Magic Study by Maria V. Snyder

I had believed that the only thing Cahil wanted from me was information about Ixia. This invitation might still be a ploy, but for the first time I saw a softness behind his eyes.

- page 159, Magic Study by Maria V. Snyder

This is the second in the Study trilogy by Maria V. Snyder (starting with Poison Study and ending with Fire Study), following the fate of Yelena Zaltana. I enjoyed the first book back in 2009, when I picked up a copy for £1 in a shop. I spotted the second one in the library and remembered how good Poison Study was, so I thought I’d pick this one up and continue the story to see if it was as good. I’m not very far in, but so far, it’s promising to live up to my expectations, so I’ll most likely get hold of the third one from the library too when I next go.

overviewa.jpg

See yesterday’s Teaser Tuesday for a taste of this novel!

JK Rowling – Harry Potter and the Philospher’s Stone (Harry Potter 1)

This is a re-read for me and I’m reading it right now purely because Xander picked it up and asked me to read it to him. For one so young, he certainly appreciates a good story, so I’ll continue to read it to him (it may take some time) and, depending on how he enjoys it, may well continue with the rest of the series. He’s a little young for it really, but he enjoys hearing me read aloud to him and I’m not going ot tell him “no” when he requests I read a children’s book to him!

G. P. Taylor – The Ghost Diamonds (Mariah Mundi 2)

Having read the first in this series last year, and finding it rather average, I thought I’d give the series a second chance. Unfortunately, I didn’t find this installment any better. The plot seems to be all over the place and as a result, the pace is fragmented. I also remain unenamored of the characters and unimpressed by Taylor’s writing style. So, after a second try, I think I’ll steer clear of the rest of this series and also other works by the author – they’re just not for me.

Barbara Ewing – The Mesmerist

I picked this one up for £1 in Asda (I’m a sucker for a bargain!) and loved the cover, so it found its way into the shopping trolley. Well, can you blame me? I figured this will bridge the gap till I can get to the library again and get the next in the several series I’m currently reading…

June Book Round-Up

I seem to be firing through the books lately! Trips to the library have furnished me with some excellent young adult fare (I choose from the children’s library because that’s here I take Xander to choose his books – he checks out the toddlers’ section and I browse the young adult and teen fiction shelves – we both have a wonderful time!). I’ve been continuing with several series and will be getting hold of more of them to read too…

00finished.jpg

BOOKS FINISHED:

33. Julia Golding - The Diamond of Drury Lane – 3/5

The Diamond of Drury Lane is a young adult novel, but it’s a very good one. It’s dramatic, exciting and atmospheric – it really captures the flavour of life backstage which may have changed a little since the Regency period during which this novel has set, but from my own experiences, both front and backstage, I can tell you, I don’t think things have changed all that much, and all the grease paint and sweat and relationships forged there are present and correct here.

34. Alex Scarrow - TimeRiders (TimeRiders 1) – 3/5

I’m a huge fan of Simon Scarrow, and I’d been meaning to give his brother, Alex, a try for ages. Well, I finally did and I wasn’t disappointed! I don’t read an awful lot of sci-fi, especially if it features time travel, because I very easily get frustrated when authors ignore time paradox (honestly, I find it absolutely maddening!), but Scarrow handles it well and the fact that both the characters and plot are well-written and exciting helps a great deal! If you’re into sci-fi and time travel, don’t let the fact that this is from the teen/young adult section put you off – it’s well worth picking up!

35. Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell – Return of the Emerald Skull (Barnaby Grimes 2) – 3/5

When it comes to tales that will grab youngsters and really keep them gripped to the end, you’d be hard pushed to find another writer/illustrator team that can match up to these guys. Return of the Emerald Skull is dark and dangerous and just gruesome enough to appeal to young lads!

36. Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell – Legion of the Dead (Barnaby Grimes 3) – 3/5

The third installment of the Barnaby Grimes series is every bit as enthralling as the first two. They keep getting darker as Barnaby is thrust into yet more thrilling adventures. I’ll definitely be getting hold of the last in the series…

37. Simon Scarrow - The Legion (Romans 10) - 4/5

Although this is the tenth novel in the series, it’s still as fresh and exciting as the first. Scarrow manages to keep the plots and characters cranked right up, and the tension of life in the Roman military is brought sharply to life by an absolute master of historical fiction.

38. Julia Golding - Cat Among the Pigeons (Cat Royal 2) - 4/5

Julia Golding isn’t afraid to tackle big themes, even though they’re aimed at a younger audience. In The Diamond of Drury Lane, the story revolved around political activism and freedom of speech; this time it’s slavery. Golding never condescends to her audience and she handles her subject matter with great skill. The characters and situations are all wonderful and incredibly real.

39. Malinda Lo – Ash – 4/5

Ash is an enchanting and unusual retelling of the Cinderella story. It’s at once haunting and achingly beautiful, Malinda Lo has captured the well-known fairytale and transformed it into something completely original and surprising. The characters w all know and love from Cinderella are all present and correct, but there are some changes that mean you won’t expect all that will unfold.

40. Philip Pullman – The Shadow in the North (Sally Lockhart 2) – 3/5

I didn’t enjoy this second Sally Lockhart book quite as much as the first one, but it was still good enough for me to want to continue with the series. Sally isn’t a particularly likeable character, but she softens a little during the course of this novel and I’ll be interested to see where things go from here.

41. G.P. Taylor - Mariah Mundi and the Ghost Diamonds (Mariah Mundy 2) - 2/5

Having read the first in this series last year, and finding it rather average, I thought I’d give the series a second chance. Unfortunately, I didn’t find this installment any better. The plot seems to be all over the place and as a result, the pace is fragmented. I also remain unenamored of the characters and unimpressed by Taylor’s writing style. So, after a second try, I think I’ll steer clear of the rest of this series and also other works by the author – they’re just not for me.

01continuingandnext.jpg

BOOKS STARTED (carrying over to July):

I read the first book, Poison Study, two years ago after buying it on impulse when I saw it for £1 in a shop. It turned out to be a very good read, so I’m continuing with yet another series in the hopes that it will be another one I enjoy!

JK Rowling - Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Harry Potter 1) (Re-read)

This is a re-read for me and I’m reading it right now purely because Xander picked it up and asked me to read it to him. For one so young, he certainly appreciates a good story, so I’ll continue to read it to him (it may take some time) and, depending on how he enjoys it, may well continue with the rest of the series. He’s a little young for it really, but he enjoys hearing me read aloud to him and I’m not going to tell him “no” when he requests I read a children’s book to him!

PRIORITY FOR JULY:

I picked this one up for £1 in Asda (I’m a sucker for a bargain!) and loved the cover, so it found its way into the shopping trolley. Well, can you blame me? I figured this will bridge the gap till I can get to the library again and get the next in the several series I’m currently reading…

Booking Through Thursday

What’s the largest your personal library has ever been? What’s the greatest number of books you’ve ever owned at one time? (Estimates are fine.)

Is your collection NOW the biggest it’s ever been? Or have you down-sized?

What’s the fewest number of books you’ve ever owned (not counting your pre-reading years)?

I have absolutely no idea how many books I have, but my collection is currently at its smallest for quite some time, as I’m now only keeping books by certain authors and the occasional exceptionally good stand-alone that I think I may read again ni the future.

I used to keep all my books, regardless of whether I had enjoyed them, as I just couldn’t bear the idea of parting with a book. This, of course, led to me having precious little room for new books! I had several bookcases stuffed to overflowing, books in cupboards, books under the bed, and box upon box of books in the attic.

At last, I decided to have a good clear out. I donated many books to charity shops; sold many online; left them in the wild or at bookcrossing sites with a log number; gave them away to family and friends. Yet I still had many books lying about the place – and this was before I had a monstrous pile of unread books (now known as Mount To-Be-Read).

Enough was enough, I made the executive decision to take things down to the bare minimum and donated around 200 books to a local library that has no book acquisition budget. While I was at it, I took another look at Mount TBR and added a bunch of those to the pile for the library as I no longer had any interest in reading them.

Now I have a more manageable amount of books – one very large bookcase in the livingroom which, with books doubled up, has plenty of room for more books as I add to my standing collections. Mount TBR is now more of a hillock, as I’ve reduced it to around sixty or so (down from more than 250!). I’ve also started using the library more to try new authors.

Now, if I can just keep up the good work…

TEASER TUESDAYS

2. Open to a random page

mesmerist.jpg

My teaser:

In the basement she sat Rillie in a chair, placed Alphonse and one of her aunt’s books on the table. “I’m going to read your head, like I explained yesterday,” she said to Rillie.

- page 64, The Mesmerist by Barbara Ewing

The blurb from the back of the book:

Unable to find stage work, actresses Cordelia Preston and Rillie Spoons need to find a way of making a living. Cordelia remembers the skills of her aunt and sets out to be a phreno-mesmerist, advising couples on their compatibility and enlightening women on ‘The Gentle Intricacies of the Wedding Night’. Cordelia finds that she does indeed possess the gift for mesmerism, and as her popularity grows, she and Rillie are finally living their dream. But events from Cordelia’s past return to haunt her, and the women become embroiled in a scandal that threatens to ruin not only them but those they love …

What I think of it so far:

I’m about half way through the book and although it started quite slowly, it really set the scene and I’m enjoying it a great deal. It was certainly a great bargain, as I picked it up by sheer chance for only £1!

overviewot.jpg

I’m about half way through this now and although it started quite slowly, I’m enjoying it. See yesterday’s Teaser Tuesday for a brief taste of this novel.

Stephenie Meyer – Midnight Sun

I’ve caved to my anal-retentive compulsive completism and have started reading this unpublished novel which tells the story of Twilight from Edward Cullen’s point of view.

A little slower and not quite as exciting as the first book in the trilogy, but still pretty good. This continues Yelena’s story as she returns to her family and begins studying to bring her magical abilities under control. It’s filled with intrigue and adventure, and was certainly interesting enough to warrant me completing the trilogy, so expect to hear from me about the last installment some time soon!

Julia Golding – Den of Thieves (Cat Royal 3)

Continuing with the third book in the Cat Royal series…

Philip Pullman – The Tiger in the Well (Sally Lockhart 3)

Also ploughing on with the third book in the Sally Lockhart series…

Booking Through Thursday

What animal-related books have you read? Which do you love? Do you have a favorite literary dog? (Snoopy, anyone?)

I’m not really into animal stories (and, in fact, actively avoid one in particular – Watership Down – as the film freaked me out so much), but I have read one or two over the years.

The first one that springs to mind is Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White. As I’m absolutely petrified of spiders, it will surprise those who know me to know that I actually like Charlotte, and if all spiders would speak up with a friendly “Greetings and salutations!” then I might not be so terrified! This gorgeous story has been a favourite of mine since I was very small and Charlotte remains, to this day, the only arachnid that doesn’t freak me out (apart from The Snow Spider, but that story is more about the children, so I won’t post about that one ni this list).

Next is another childhood favourite I still love, and I’m sure this will feature on many lists – The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame. I still adore reading the delightfully gentle adventures of Mole, Ratty, Badger and, of course, the inimitable Mr. Toad! I’ve had a hardback copy since I was just a few years old and I have read it many times since then. nowadays I read from it to my young son who seems to love them every bit as much as I do!

I should perhaps mention a few more that others may not have on their lists, so here are some I reviewed a few years back.

The Mob by Clem Martini is the story of a murder of crows (yes, the collective noun for crows is a “murder”). Buster Fleabags is a quick read by Rolf Harris, the story of his boyhood days and his wonderful dog with the most wondrous name! Life of Pi by Yann Martel is an extraordinary journey taken by a young boy and a Bengal tiger in a lifeboat after the ship they are sailing on from India to Canada sinks beneath the waves. If you like classics, then Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs is a good one to try. For some classic mystery, try The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. And finally, if you like the Discworld, you’ll probably love The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett – it’s aimed at his younger fans, but is enjoyable for any age!

So, there are a few to get you going. If you haven’t already read them, give them a try!