Kell's 2011 Reading Log

Kell

I take part in various book blog memes where a question is posed on various days of the week.

• Musing Mondays - a question relating to books
  • Teaser Tuesdays - a few lines from a book you're reading to entice others to read it too
  • WWW Wednesdays - What are you currently reading? What have you just finished? What are you reading next?
  • Booking Through Thursday - a question relating to books

They're all hosted on various blogs and the blog owner poses the question (if there is on) and posts a "host post" so that everyone taking part can leave a link to their own post that relates to the meme.

I also make the posts on my blog (Diary of a Domestic Goddess) but I like to post them here too in case anyone else fancies joining in on their own book list thread.

Hope that explains things a bit for you. :)

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I take part in various book blog memes where a question is posed on various days of the week.

• Musing Mondays - a question relating to books
  • Teaser Tuesdays - a few lines from a book you're reading to entice others to read it too
  • WWW Wednesdays - What are you currently reading? What have you just finished? What are you reading next?
  • Booking Through Thursday - a question relating to books

They're all hosted on various blogs and the blog owner poses the question (if there is on) and posts a "host post" so that everyone taking part can leave a link to their own post that relates to the meme.

I also make the posts on my blog (Diary of a Domestic Goddess) but I like to post them here too in case anyone else fancies joining in on their own book list thread.

Hope that explains things a bit for you. :)

Thanks for replying, its great to see, well done :)

1houseofthewind.jpg

Title: The House of the Wind

Author: Titania Hardy

ISBN: 978-0755346295

Publisher: Headline Review

First Published: June 2011

No. of pages: 528

Rating: 2/5

Synopsis (Amazon):

A legendary ruin. An ancient mystery. Will unveiling the past transform the future?

San Francisco, 2007. Madeline Moretti is grieving for her fiancé. Nothing brings her joy any more, and Maddie’s grandmother, a fiery Italian, sends her to Tuscany to heal. Here, Maddie is immersed in the mystery of a ruined villa. Destroyed centuries ago in a legendary storm on the Eve of St Agnes, it has been known ever since as the Casa al Vento – the House of the Wind.

Tuscany, 1347. Mia hasn’t spoken since her mother’s death, and lives in silence with her beloved aunt. One dark night, a couple seek refuge in their villa. Used to welcoming passing pilgrims, Mia is entranced by the young bride’s radiance and compassion, but mystified by her reluctance to reveal even her name. Where has she come from, and why must her presence be a secret?

Centuries apart, each searching for a way to step into her future, Mia and Maddie will be haunted by the myth of the woman who walked unscathed from the ruins of the House of the Wind.

Review:

I really wanted to like this a lot more than I actually did. I adore historical fiction and I love the cleverness of concurrent storylines, centuries apart, having bearing on each other, but this just didn’t work for me.

The problem for me was that it was just too darned slow. Hardy uses achingly beautiful prose that absolutely sings off the page, but the plot unfolds at a maddeningly sedate pace, not just in one timeline, but in both. As a result, I grew bored with the characters, their loss, their pain, their motivation, and their relationships, and grew tired of waiting for everything to happen.

The fact is, that the same writing device has been used before to better effect (if you’ve read Labyrinth by Kate Mosse, you’ll know what I’m talking about, and if you haven’t read it, I can heartily recommend it!) and I found myself forever waiting for something other than the writing to excite me. Truly, the writing often verges on the sublime and I give it a higher rating as a result, but it was let down by pedestrian plot and plodding pace.

I will be interested in reading more by Titania Hardy if only to see if the tale is worthy of the writer’s obvious talent with words.

Musing Mondays

Do you judge a book by its cover?

Yes I do – almost every time! I’ve found that if I like the cover, it entices me to read the blurb on the back of the book which, in turn helps me decide whether I think I would enjoy the book. If a book has a terrible cover, I find it incredibly off-putting. In fact, and this might sound terribly superficial, but if a cover is particularly bad, I feel it must be a pretty awful book or someone would have taken the time and care to give it a beautiful cover. In the case of self published books, they occasionally have hand-drawn covers that have been created by the author and I (perhaps unfairly) feel it reflects on the writer’s artistic ability and I won’t go near that book with a barge pole!

On occasion, I have found books that have attracted me solely because of the over artwork. The first example is that of The Plucker by Brom. I saw this book sitting face-out on a library shelf and thought the cover so breathtakingly awesome that I borrowed it without even reading the blurb – I just knew I was going to love it. And you know what? It didn’t disappoint! It blew me away with both the artwork and the writing, an dmeant that I have discovered a new favourite. I’ve gone on to read The Devil’s Rose and The Child Thief since then. All three have been superb and I can’t recommend them highly enough!

A more recent example is The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I saw the cover and fell in love. I bought it and haven’t even read the blurb. The simplicity of the colour scheme – the monochrome with a tiny splash of red – is something that has always appealed to me, but this really is just a stunning cover. It reeks of magic and mystery and, well, just everything that is absolutely spellbinding. It’s next on my list of books to be read and I just have a feeling that this book is really going to make me sing!

post-3572-0-47343800-1318840762_thumb.jpgpost-3572-0-53160600-1318840772_thumb.jpg

TEASER TUESDAYS

1. Grab your current read

2. Open to a random page

3. Share two “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page

4. BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)

5. Share the title and author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

post-3572-0-55240600-1318892698_thumb.jpg

My teaser:

“Men command the world that they know,” she says. “Everything that men know, they make their own. Everything that they learn, they claim for themselves. They are like the alchemists who look for the laws that govern the world, and hen want to own them and keep them secret. Everything they discover, they hug to themselves, they shape knowledge into their own selfish image. What is left to us women, but the realms of the unknown?”

page 19-20, The Lady of the Rivers (Cousins’ War 3) by Philippa Gregory

Synopsis:

Jacquetta, daughter of the Count of Luxembourg and kinswoman to half the royalty of Europe, was married to the great Englishman John, Duke of Bedford, uncle to Henry VI. Widowed at the age of nineteen she took the extraordinary risk of marrying a gentleman of her house-hold for love, and then carved out a life for herself as Queen Margaret of Anjou’s close friend and a Lancaster supporter – until the day that her daughter Elizabeth Woodville fell in love and married the rival king Edward IV. Of all the little-known but important women of the period, her dramatic story is the most neglected. With her links to Melusina, and to the founder of the house of Luxembourg, together with her reputation for making magic, she is the most haunting of heroines.

What I think of it so far:

I’m almost 1/3rd of the way through this one and it’s intriguing. The whole period (pre-Tudors, beginning the novel at the time of Joan of Arc’s capture) is fascinating and it’s so interesting looking at the characters who shaped the English monarchy and directly influenced the Tudor reign by their actions. Jacquetta is a wonderful character – so full of hope and promise. She’s a feisty one who is unafraid to go after what she wants. I enjoyed both the earlier novels in this trilogy and have high hopes of this third installment.

W... W... W... Wednesdays

* What are you currently reading?

* What did you recently finish reading?

* What do you think you’ll read next?

0overview.jpg

What are you currently reading?

Philippa Gregory – The Lady of the Rivers (Cousins’ War 3)

The third installment in the wonderful Cousins’ War series. I love historical fiction and although I usually go for Roman or Tudor, this isn’t too far out of my usual era as it’s the history of what happened right before the Tudor dynasty attained the throne – it’s how they got there really. I love this sort of historical faction although I’ve not long started it, I’m enjoying it so far.

Alyson Noël – Shadowland (Immortals 3)

Third in the Immortals young adult series. I enjoyed the first book, but the second was a bit of a let-down by comparison. I’m hoping this one will be a bit better because if it isn’t, I won’t be reading any further in the series! Fingers crossed, because I’d like to see where some of the characters are going…

What did you recently finish reading?

Alyson Noël – Blue Moon (Immortals 2) - 2/5

Rather a disappointment, this one. The first book in the series was a little more original than some other (*ahem* Twilight *ahem*) urban fantasy series aimed at this age group and the heroine was a bit more solid and less wimpy than others, but in this second book, she went all Bella Swan on me and started mooning over her boyfriend who was being all aloof and ignoring her, so I’m sure you can understand why I was a little upset at this development. It was also very repetitive and predictable which made for dull reading. The two-star rating was being as generous as I could.

Titania Hardy – The House of the Wind - 2/5

Full review HERE.

What do you think you’ll read next?

• Erin Morgenstern – The Night Circus (own)
  • G.P.Taylor – The Ship of Fools (Mariah Mundy 3) (library)

BOOKING THROUGH THURSDAY

Vacation

Do your reading habits change when you’re on vacation? Do you read more? Do you indulge in lighter, fluffier books than you usually read? Do you save up special books so you’ll be able to spend real vacation time with them? Or do you just read the same old stuff, vacation or not?

It really depends on how much reading time I have. I used to read a lot more while on holiday as I had more time to myself. Now that I have a child, that time is taken up with him whether I’m on holiday or not. If we’re going away I do still take books with me to read, but usually only in the evenings in bed after Xander is asleep.

As for it influencing my reading choices, that’s a definite yes. I always try to take at least one novel set in the place I’m visiting. For example, when we visited friends in Swindon, I read The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next 1) by Jasper Fforde which is partly set in that city. I took other books too (Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See, and Anne of Green Gables by L M Montgomery) but I made sure that the one I read from start to finish whilst there was The Eyre Affair. I also read Karma by Holly A Harvey whilst visiting family in Northumberland as it’s set in that area.

I do still read some of the same stuff I’d be reading anyway and no matter what I don’t switch to “lighter” or “fluffier” just because I’m on holiday – I read what I like, which is often historical fiction. If I can tie it to the area I’m visiting, so much the better!

post-3572-0-04352500-1319096603_thumb.jpg

2011 Spooktacular October Paranormal Reading Challenge

As rather a last-minute thing (as I only discovered it half-way through the month) I have decided to take part in the 2011 Spooktacular October Paranormal Reading Challenge as I adore both paranormal fiction and October (hello, Hallowe’en anyone?!). Join me and the other fang-tastic fans of all things freakish, ghostly and spine-tinglingly chilling as we embark on our adventure into the dark unknown…!

So here are the paranormal books I have finished during this month:

1. Kelley Armstrong – Spellbound (WotOW 12) - 3/5
  2. Alyson Noël – Evermore (Immortals 1) - 3/5
  3. Alyson Noël – Blue Moon (Immortals 2) - 2/5

Currently reading:

• Alyson Noël – Shadowland (Immortals 3)

Coming next (from Mount To-Be-Read):

• Kelley Armstrong (and others) – Dates From Hell
  • Jane Austen and Ben H Winters – Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters
  • Poppy Z Brite - Lost Souls
  • Erin Morgenstern – The Night Circus

Books I’d like to get to if I get the chance:

• Kelley Armstrong – The Gathering (Darkness Rising 1)
  • Gail Carriger – Soulless (Parasol Protectorate 1)
  • Laurell K Hamilton – Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake 1)
  • Charlaine Harris – Dead Reckoning (Southern Vampires 11)
  • Charlaine Harris – Grave Sight (Harper Connolly 1)
  • Lauren Kate – Torment (Fallen 2)

Musing Mondays

Do you listen to audiobooks? Why, or why not?

I used to listen to audio books rather a lot. The reason was I waked to and from work every day and it was a good 25 minutes each way, so I loaded up my iPod with audio books and got in a little literature while I walked. It was great and I discovered some real gems this way. Most of them were free out-of-copyright downloads from Librivox (all the audio books are read by regular folks, and not professionals, and they do it for the love of reading rather than for compensation of any kind). Of course, some readers are better than others, but on the whole, I found the quality to be quite high and quickly found a few favourite regular readers among them.

I sometimes got hold of professional audio books though, and one particularly memorable foray into this medium was Michael York reading The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas. Of course, Michael York played d’Artagnan in the 70s movies based on the books, so it was very nostalgic, but his impersonations of the other people who had played the other pivotal characters were superb and it was almost like hearing them play their parts all over again. It has become one of my favourite novels of all time and I know I’ll read it again and again.

Nowadays I don’t really listen to audio books, largely because I now share an iPod with my hubby and it’s loaded up with music to listen to in the car, but if I ever find myself with an iPod for my sole use, it will be loaded up with audio books once more!

TEASER TUESDAYS

2. Open to a random page

4. BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)

5. Share the title and author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

post-3572-0-96632000-1319545744_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-26831100-1319545810_thumb.jpg

My teaser:

Raising my athame and slicing across my palm, tracing the curve of my lifeline as a rush of wind sweeps through the circle and an applause of thunder claps overhead. My hair whipping about as I squint against the swirling gale, my blood letting onto the cord until it is soaked and red.”

- page 301, Shadowland (Immortals 3) by Alyson Noël

Synopsis:

Ever and Damen have travelled through countless past lives – and fought off the world’s darkest enemies – in search of each other. But just when their destiny seems finally within reach, a powerful curse falls upon them. A single touch of their hands, a soft brush of their lips will mean death for Damen – cast into the darkness of the Shadowland. But as she seeks to break the curse, Ever meets Jude – a green-eyed, golden surfer boy who understands magick, and understands Ever better than she realises. And she begins to ask a terrifying question: even if you’re immortal, can true love really last forever?

Ever and Damen have travelled through countless past lives – and fought off the world’s darkest enemies – in search of each other. But just when their destiny seems finally within reach, a powerful curse falls upon them. A single touch of their hands, a soft brush of their lips will mean death for Damen – cast into the darkness of the Shadowland. But as she seeks to break the curse, Ever meets Jude – a green-eyed, golden surfer boy who understands magick, and understands Ever better than she realises. And she begins to ask a terrifying question: even if you’re immortal, can true love really last forever?

This one is actually a darned sight better than the second in the series and I may well pick up the fourth in the series when I visit the library this morning (if it’s there!). Both the writing and the story have improved this time round and I found myself re-reading short passages where I enjoyed the words themselves. The teaser I left above was one of those moments – I just loved that “applause of thunder” and thought it very evocative.

I’m not a fan of misrepresenting Pagan religions (I’m not Wiccan, but I know people who are), or any religion, really, and what is described in this book is more akin to fantasy-based sorcery, but the author has attempted to ground it in reality by linking it to Wicca. However, the overall impression given by the author is a positive one – that magick can be used for good or bad and that it is the intent of the user that affects it and not magick itself being black or white (it’s all shades of grey, really). I can get on board with that.

0overview.jpg

Philippa Gregory – The Lady of the Rivers (Cousins’ War 3)

The third installment in the wonderful Cousins’ War series. I love historical fiction and although I usually go for Roman or Tudor, this isn’t too far out of my usual era as it’s the history of what happened right before the Tudor dynasty attained the throne – it’s how they got there really. I love this sort of historical faction. I’m about two-thirds of the way through as this is the book that is by my bed for reading before going to sleep, and I’ve been too tired and ill to read much at night lately.

Various – Dates From Hell (Compilation)

Contains the following novellas:

* Kim Harrison – Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil - 1/5

Absolutely dire. Reading this novella reminded me why I never got past the second book in the Rachel Morgan series. This novella includes the most unsexy and unexciting blood/sex scene I have ever had the misfortune to encounter and the story is both dull and predictable. I will be happy if I never read anything by this author again as long as I live.

* The Claire Switch Project (CURRENTLY READING)

So far it’s pretty decent and a damned sight better than the previous story, so I hope the others will be too…

* Kelley Armstrong – Chaotic

Haven’t got this far yet, but I love Kelley Armstrong and am looking forward to it.

* Lori Handeland – Dead Man Dating

This will be my first experience of Lori Handeland’s writing…

Alyson Noël – Shadowland (Immortals 3) - 3/5

This one is actually a darned sight better than the second in the series and I may well pick up the fourth in the series when I visit the library this morning (if it’s there!). Both the writing and the story have improved this time round and I found myself re-reading short passages where I enjoyed the words themselves.

I’m not a fan of misrepresenting Pagan religions (I’m not Wiccan, but I know people who are), or any religion, really, and what is described in this book is more akin to fantasy-based sorcery, but the author has attempted to ground it in reality by linking it to Wicca. However, the overall impression given by the author is a positive one – that magick can be used for good or bad and that it is the intent of the user that affects it and not magick itself being black or white (it’s all shades of grey, really). I can get on board with that.

My own books:

* Erin Morgenstern – The Night Circus

From the library:

*Julia Golding – Cat’s Cradle (Cat Royal 6)

* Sarah Singleton – Century

* Stephen Cole – Wounded (Wereling Trilogy 1)

* Stephen Cole – Prey (Wreling Trilogy 2)

* Stephen Cole – Resurrection (Wereling Trilogy 3)

BOOKING THROUGH THURSDAY

Hard

What’s the hardest/most challenging book you’ve ever read? Was it worth the effort? Did you read it by choice or was it an assignment/obligation?

I think I’ll give two examples which were polar opposites to answer this question.

The first is The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. It was an incredibly hard book to get through as the writing, though wonderful, if extremely hard-going. However, it was worth sticking it out to the end as it’s a fantastic story. However, if I hadn’t already known the story from seeing the film several times, I don’t think I would have made it to the end. It was my choice to read this book and I’m glad I did, but it didn’t entice me to read any more of Eco’s novels based on how hard it was to read this one.

The second is Sunset Song by Lewis Grassic Gibbon. We were forced to read this chunk of dullness for Higher English and I’ll freely admit I never finished it, despite it being required reading. I just couldn’t stand the style of writing – entire, long paragraphs that are a single sentence that are filled with “and” and “but” so that it reads something like this, “This and this and that and this happened, but that and this and that and that happened because of it, and then this and that occurred but this felt like that and this and the other…” When that constitutes and entire paragraph that is about twenty lines long you get pretty sick of it pretty quickly.

I also hated that sentences were continually started with the aforementioned “and” and “but”. Add all that to the fact that the characters and story are dull as ditch water and you have a very bad time of it. I will never read anything by this author again simply because the guy couldn’t write anything interesting and couldn’t write it in an engaging and accessible way. It was a real slog to get even part way through this turgid heap of steaming crap. Yes, I hated it that much.

So, sometimes a “hard” book is worth it, but other times, well, not so much!

Sorry to have put you off a bit, Roland. I have t oadmit, though, one of my very good friends who was in the class with me loved the book so much she read the entire set (A Scot's Quair) for her special study and adored every second of it. She, on the other hand, can't stand Umberto Eco and couldn't get more than about a dozen chapters (at most) into The name of the Rose - LOL!

fridayfinds.jpg

What great books did you hear about / discover this past week? Share with us your FRIDAY FINDS!

By following links to blogs taking part in various memes, I’ve heard about so many great books it would be impossible to list them all. I’m also a regular visitor to our local library and am always eagerly awaiting newly published books by my favourite authors. However, here are the ones that really stood out for me this week and for which I’ll be looking out on future book acquisition expeditions:

- Julie Kagawa – The Iron Fey Trilogy

- Michelle Hodkin – The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

- Jackson Pierce – Sisters Red

- Kendare Blake – Anna Dressed In Blood

- RJ Anderson – Ultraviolet

They’ve all gone onto my wish list!

post-3572-0-08909600-1319757189_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-87730100-1319757194_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-29109100-1319757200_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-23951100-1319757204_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-37751400-1319757209_thumb.jpg

Sorry to have put you off a bit, Roland. I have t oadmit, though, one of my very good friends who was in the class with me loved the book so much she read the entire set (A Scot's Quair) for her special study and adored every second of it. She, on the other hand, can't stand Umberto Eco and couldn't get more than about a dozen chapters (at most) into The name of the Rose - LOL!

I couldn't remember which book it was, Kell, when I was at the computer, so I went off to make sure it wasn't Sunset Song. And, er ... :smile2:

Musing Mondays

Would you say that you read about the same amount now as when you were younger? More? Less? Why?

I used to read an average of around 125-150 books each year. Some were re-reads and some were completely new to me, but that was roughly how much reading I did (this was perhaps from my mid-teens onwards), depending on how thick the books were and how much I enjoyed them. I never ditched a book half-read – each one was read to the very end.

As I got older, I realised I didn’t have to finish a book if I wasn’t enjoying it and introduced a rule that if I wasn’t enjoying a book by page 100, it would get ditched. I later amended this to 50 pages. As a result, I started a lot of books, but didn’t necessarily finish them all, so this affected my totals directly, although I was still averaging around 125 each year.

Then I got pregnant with my son, Xander. I found I was too tired and listless to read as much as I used to and my reading took a huge dip. The year he was born (at the end of September 2008) I only read 58 books – a significant drop. During the first year of being a Mum, it dropped a little further and I slowed to a rate of one book each week for a total of 52. In 2010 I increased sightly to 58 again and this year I have so far read 70, so you can see I’m starting to edge back up to my previous levels.

So, no – I don’t read quite as much as I used to, but that’s because my time is occupied in other ways, such as running around after my energetic little’un (I also took up cross stitching again in 2009), but it’s starting to increase again. Will I ever read as much as I used to and get through 125-150 books each year? Well, let’s just say, Mount To-Be-Read is the beginnings of my collection for retirement!

October Book Round-Up

Half-way through the month I discovered the 2011 Spooktacular October Paranormal Reading Challenge and decided to take part. Fortunately I had already read three books that qualified so I wasn’t starting from scratch in the middle of the month!

00overview.jpg

BOOKS FINISHED:

64. Elizabeth Chadwick – Shadows and Strongholds - 4/5

Although I love historical fiction, I usually go for Roman, Tudor and Victorian era, with occasional forays into Georgian life, but for some reason the medieval period tends to slip past me. It was high time I rectified that ad I’m glad it was with this historical “faction” (fictionalised account of actual historical events). I loved Brunin and Hawise from the very start and immersed myself completely in their world, their friendship and their lives together, their relationship changing from childhood to adulthood. I will certainly be looking out for more by this author, so if anyone has read more of her work and would like to recommend one or two they’ve particularly enjoyed, I would be very grateful!

65. Alyson Noël – Evermore (Immortals 1) - 3/5

This is one I picked up from the library – a new young adult urban fantasy/supernatural romance series for me to enjoy. And enjoy it I did. Ever Bloom is a little slower on the uptake than the likes of Bella Swan, but she’s no insipid, clingy, wimpy emo-teen either, which made this far more enjoyable than the Twilight Saga was all together.

66. Kelley Armstrong – Spellbound (WotOW 12) - 3/5

I was a little disappointed by this one, actually. I’m a HUGE fan of the series but Im’ not enjoying Savannah as a leading lady as much as I’d hoped. Waking the Witch (WotOW 11) was pretty good and Spellbound follows directly on from there, but it just didn’t get me anywhere near as excited. It’s still good, just not quite as good as the others in this series. Unfortunately, it’s been left wide open for another installment in this story arc. I just hope the next one will wind that story up and then we can move onto a different character in the driving seat – perhaps another Hope Adams or Jaime Vegas story, or coming full circle and returning to Elena Michaels – that would be very welcome!

67. Alyson Noël – Blue Moon (Immortals 2) - 2/5

Rather a disappointment, this one. The first book in the series was a little more original than some other (*ahem* Twilight *ahem*) urban fantasy series aimed at this age group and the heroine was a bit more solid and less wimpy than others, but in this second book, she went all Bella Swan on me and started mooning over her boyfriend who was being all aloof and ignoring her, so I’m sure you can understand why I was a little upset at this development. It was also very repetitive and predictable which made for dull reading. The two-star rating was being as generous as I could.

68. Titania Hardy – The House of the Wind (FOR REVIEW) - 2/5

Full review HERE.

69. Alyson Noël – Shadowland (Immortals 3) - 3/5

This one is actually a darned sight better than the second in the series and I may well pick up the fourth in the series when I visit the library this morning (if it’s there!). Both the writing and the story have improved this time round and I found myself re-reading short passages where I enjoyed the words themselves.

70. Philippa Gregory – The Lady of the Rivers (Cousins’ War 3) - 3/5

The third installment in the wonderful Cousins’ War series. I love historical fiction and although I usually go for Roman or Tudor, this isn’t too far out of my usual era as it’s the history of what happened right before the Tudor dynasty attained the throne – it’s how they got there really. I love this sort of historical faction. It took me a while to get through it, simply because I didn’t have much reading time and although I didn’t enjoy it quite as much as the previous novel, it was very good and I found the characters of Jacquetta and Richard to be quite enchanting.

71. Stephen Cole – Wounded (Wereling Trilogy 1) - 3/5

At last, a young adult horror/paranormal trilogy that’s NOT about vampires! (Especially of the sparkly variety.) This is werewolves all the way and is a lot of fun with some decent thrills and spills along the way, and a fairly original premise to boot. On top of all this, it’s fairly short. All three of the books could have been put together in a single volume split into three parts, but it would have been a little chunky and perhaps intimidated the youth audience, so this bite-sized morsel (forgive me - I couldn’t resist punning!) is just the ticket and ends on an open note, ready for the second book to pick up where it leaves off.

72. Stephen Cole – Prey (Wereling Trilogy 2) - 3/5

This second installment of the Wereling Trilogy is pretty exciting stuff! This is far more original than some other young adult paranormal novels and occasionally strays into some very adult themes (although there has been no sex so far, there has been the threat that Kate may be taken by force if her mother gets her hands on her and into the very situation Kate is trying to avoid). It’s quite gritty in places and there have been some real thrills so far. I’m looking forward to the final part now…

BOOKS STARTED (carrying over to November):

Various – Dates From Hell

Compilation of four novellas by four different authors as follows:

Kim Harrison – Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil - 1/5

Absolutely dire. Reading this novella reminded me why I never got past the second book in the Rachel Morgan series. This novella includes the most unsexy and unexciting blood/sex scene I have ever had the misfortune to encounter and the story is both dull and predictable. I will be happy if I never read anything by this author again as long as I live.

The Claire Switch Project (CURRENTLY READING)

So far it’s pretty decent and a damned sight better than the previous story, so I’m hopeful the others will be better too…

Kelley Armstrong – Chaotic

Haven’t got this far yet, but I love Kelley Armstrong and am looking forward to it.

Lori Handeland – Dead Man Dating

TEASER TUESDAYS

2. Open to a random page

post-3572-0-77155600-1320107366_thumb.jpg

My teaser:

Sunday forced a smile. “My parents thought it was cute to name me after my birthday. But hey, I’m lucky. I could’ve been called Twelfth or March, right?”

page 64, Resurrection (Wereling Trilogy 3) by Stephen Cole

Synopsis:

Kate Folan comes from a family of werewolves. She’ll only become fully ‘wolf herself when she mates with a male werewolf. But she vows that will never happen. The last thing she wants is to give in to her evil heritage.

Then she meets Tom Anderson. Tom is a wereling – a werewolf who retains his humanity even in his wolf form. He was “turned” by Kate’s mother, who chose wisely.

Tom and Kate can’t help falling for each other. But if they give in to their feelings, Kate will become the thing she hates most. Unless they can find a cure…

I can’t say because I’m just about to start it, but having enjoyed the previous two books in the trilogy, I hope this one will finish things off well. Judging by the quote above (which I chose by just opening the book at random) there’s a little humour injected into the horror, which has been the case with the other two as well – not laugh-out-loud humour, but a natural humour that comes from being in a tight situation with friends…

0overview.jpg

Stephen Cole – Resurrection (Wereling Trilogy 3)

This is the conclusion of the trilogy – I’m about half way through and you know what? It’s pretty good! I’ve rather enjoyed these books and it looks like the last book will be just as good as the others.

Various – Dates From Hell (Compilation)

I’m thinking of ditching this one for now and perhaps coming back to it at a later date. Contains the following novellas:

Kim Harrison – Undead in the Garden of Good and Evil - 1/5

The Claire Switch Project (CURRENTLY READING)

So far it’s pretty decent and a damned sight better than the previous story, so I’m hopeful the others will be better too…

Kelley Armstrong – Chaotic

Lori Handeland – Dead Man Dating

Philippa Gregory – The Lady of the Rivers (Cousins’ War 3) - 3/5

The third installment in the wonderful Cousins’ War series. I love historical fiction and although I usually go for Roman or Tudor, this isn’t too far out of my usual era as it’s the history of what happened right before the Tudor dynasty attained the throne – it’s how they got there really. I love this sort of historical faction. It took me a while to get through it, simply because I didn’t have much reading time and although I didn’t enjoy it quite as much as the previous novel, it was very good and I found the characters of Jacquetta and Richard to be quite enchanting.

Stephen Cole – Wounded (Wereling Trilogy 1) - 3/5

At last, a young adult horror/paranormal trilogy that’s NOT about vampires! (Especially of the sparkly variety.) This is werewolves all the way and is a lot of fun with some decent thrills and spills along the way, and a fairly original premise to boot. On top of all this, it’s fairly short. All three of the books could have been put together in a single volume split into three parts, but it would have been a little chunky and perhaps intimidated the youth audience, so this bite-sized morsel (forgive me - I couldn’t resist punning!) is just the ticket and ends on an open note, ready for the second book to pick up where it leaves off.

Stephen Cole – Prey (Wereling Trilogy 2) - 3/5

This second installment of the Wereling Trilogy is pretty exciting stuff! This is far more original than some other young adult paranormal novels and occasionally strays into some very adult themes (although there has been no sex so far, there has been the threat that Kate may be taken by force if her mother gets her hands on her and into the very situation Kate is trying to avoid). It’s quite gritty in places and there have been some real thrills so far.

My own books:

* Erin Morgenstern – The Night Circus

From the library:

* Julia Golding – Cat’s Cradle (Cat Royal 6)

* Sarah Singleton – Century

BOOKING THROUGH THURSDAY

Harder

All other thing being equal, would you rather read a book that’s hard/challenging/rewarding or light/enjoyable/easy?

Just a very short answer this time – It really depends on my mood. Sometimes I like something that will really make me think and give my little grey cells a good workout, but most of the time, as I tend to read in bed before sleeping, I like something that is just pure entertainment. On occasion, I find I’m getting both together – I love it when that happens!

fridayfinds.jpg

What great books did you hear about / discover this past week? Share with us your FRIDAY FINDS!

By following links to blogs taking part in various memes, I’ve heard about so many great books it would be impossible to list them all. I’m also a regular visitor to our local library and am always eagerly awaiting newly published books by my favourite authors. However, here are the ones that really stood out for me this week and for which I’ll be looking out on future book acquisition expeditions:

- Caragh O’Brien – Birthmarked Series

- Marissa Meyer – Cinder

- Bettie Sharp – Ember

- Maggie Stiefvater – Wolves of Mercy Falls Trilogy

They’ve all gone onto my wish list!

post-3572-0-47463400-1320398151_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-78732200-1320398145_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-75504200-1320398162_thumb.jpg post-3572-0-99820600-1320398184_thumb.jpg

Musing Mondays

Other than for school, do you read books to learn how to do something? What was/were the topic(s)?

I’m long out of school and college, but I do have a bunch of books on various aspects of Paganism (not just Wicca) and one or two on gardening (more specifically on gardening by moon phase and planting by star sign) which I’ve found very interesting. I also have several books on nutrition and other filled with recipes, which I flick through from time to time to learn something new in the kitchen. I no longer study per se, but I do occasionally pick up a book to learn something specific.

~***~

Cover Crazy

6thenightcircus.jpg

What I Love:

What’s not to love? The starkness of the black and white with just a touch of red; the whimsical stars and swirls; the silhouetted figures in white; the mystery of the black and white circus tent; and the birds – white against black, and black against white. It’s all so elegant and when I first saw this cover I knew I had to have this book, even before I knew anything about it – somehow I just knew the story within would appeal to me. I’ve only just started this novel and so far it’s living up to the promise of the splendid cover!

Synopsis:

The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not. Within the black-and-white striped canvas tents is an utterly unique experience full of breathtaking amazements. It is called Le Cirque des Rêves, and it is only open at night.

But behind the scenes, a fierce competition is underway – a duel between two young magicians, Celia and Marco, who have been trained since childhood expressly for this purpose by their mercurial instructors. Unbeknownst to them, this is a game in which only one can be left standing, and the circus is but the stage for a remarkable battle of imagination and will. Despite themselves, however, Celia and Marco tumble headfirst into love – a deep, magical love that makes the lights flicker and the room grow warm whenever they so much as brush hands.

True love or not, the game must play out, and the fates of everyone involved, from the cast of extraordinary circus performers to the patrons, hang in the balance, suspended as precariously as the daring acrobats overhead.

Written in rich, seductive prose, this spell-casting novel is a feast for the senses and the heart.