The Heroes of Olympus

Michelle

For those of you who loved the Percy Jackson series, there's a new series which I thought was just as good.. if not better. My review:

I came late to the original Percy Jackson series, and was therefore able to read them all close together. I found myself lost in the world that Rick Riordan had created, easily picturing Camp Half Blood, and enjoying all the characters we were introduced to.I admit to feeling a little lost after the series finished, so I was excited to find out that Rick had returned to this world, with a new set of heroes.

The book starts with a boy called Jason, who finds himself on a school bus, but having no idea of who he is, or why he’s there. Strangely enough though, his ‘friends’, Piper and Leo seem to know him.

The beginning would probably be a bit confusing for someone who hadn’t read the original series, and I would imagine it’s better starting there if you haven’t already. However, we soon find ourselves back in the familiar world of the camp, with returning characters.

As you would expect, Jason goes on a Quest, along with Piper and Leo, finding the anticipated monsters. However, it’s soon clear that there’s something rather different this time around, especially with the mention of Roman gods.

Some old characters are back, and others are mentioned, but the emphasis is on the new ones. Jason, Piper and Leo have interesting stories to tell, and this is certainly their book.

The joy however, is that this book obviously sets us up for a whole new series – which I’m very much looking out for!

• 2 months later...