Do you read books or authors?

Pixie

I have heard that the difference between Europeans and Americans when it comes to reading is that Americans read books, but Europeans read authors.

I guess that makes me a European then, because if I like an author, I will read everything of his or hers I can get my hands on. :D

Some examples are Ray Bradbury, John Crowley, Patricia McKillip, Vladimir Nabakov, and Charles Dickens.

There are some exceptions, where I have loved one book by an author, but not any of their other works.

So what are you? American or European? :wink::giggle2:

I, too, find authors I particularly enjoy but this doesn't stop me from picking up books I've never heard of...but yeah, I read authors, definitely. So I'mm...erm...European.biggrin.gif

Well, I once bought every paperback in print by Edith Wharton because I had enjoyed The House of Mirth so much, so I guess that makes me quite definitely European!

But, like others, I still buy books by authors I have never heard of or read if I like the look of them.

I do tend to read authors more than books. If I read something I like, I read the rest of that authors work. I also read books by authors I've never read before but as a result they are fewer. If I don't like the way an author writes, or I don't like a storyline, I don't read anything else by that author so it goes the other way too :S

Edited by Eliza1

If I read and enjoy a book, I will look out for more by the same author definitely. I do remain open to new books and authors through whim or recommendation though, so hopefully I am not closing myself off too much by avidly following certain authors. :)

Definitely European, although I take these tendancies to the library now as this has been an expensive mistake in the past when I have read a book and loved it and then gone on to buy everything else an author has ever written only to find that I either go off their style of writing or that the rest of their books don't live up to the first one that I read :rolleyes:

Honestly, I tend to read authors. Sometimes it'll start out by me wanting to read a particular book, but if I enjoy it, I'll usually just try to read everything else by that author, until I hit a book that I don't enjoy.

I'm flailing about in the Atlantic.

I love reading stuff by authors I like, and when I find one I like I immediately make a note of all their other works, learn about them, and pick up their work unconditionally.

However, I do also get drawn in by unusual book titles, and will buy books by any author on the basis of a nice cover, a good review, or an interesting title. I often browse Amazon looking for unusual titles that jump out at me. And, if I like those books, their authors constitute my new mental lists. So I'm both, and they're interchangeable.

*flails*

I'm flailing about in the Atlantic.

I love reading stuff by authors I like, and when I find one I like I immediately make a note of all their other works, learn about them, and pick up their work unconditionally.

However, I do also get drawn in by unusual book titles, and will buy books by any author on the basis of a nice cover, a good review, or an interesting title. I often browse Amazon looking for unusual titles that jump out at me. And, if I like those books, their authors constitute my new mental lists. So I'm both, and they're interchangeable.

*flails*

I have to agree with you Nollaig. Plus, I wonder at the designations "American" and "European". "Readers" are readers the world over and vacillate between constantly.

I am definately much more American - with very few exceptions I pick books purely because I like the sound of them - the author and how well known they are has very little bearing at all on my choices. There are one or two authors whose books I do actively seek out, but they are very much the exception to the rule.

I'm also somewhere in the Atlantic.

I go through periods where I read authors and periods where I read books. I have a few favourite authors and I have read everything they have ever written. As I'm using my local library a lot more now, I tend to read books.

Does that make me more American than European? :)

Certain authors I will read all of and get the series as they start (mainly thrillers and terrible chick lit - not that I mean chick lit is terrible but the terrible bonk buster chick lit like Jilly Cooper which I devour and wait impatiently for!)

Then books look at what others recommend and then follow like a sheep!

I have to agree with you Nollaig. Plus, I wonder at the designations "American" and "European". "Readers" are readers the world over and vacillate between constantly.

I agree with you, pontalba. It was something I heard someone else say, but I can't for the life of me remember who or why.

Does that make me more American than European? :)

You're floundering in the Atlantic like Nollaig. :lol: