Discussion: Enchantment in the Garden

Michelle

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I've read this one!

I didn't read any Shirley Hughes books to my children when they were younger - I don't know why really as I read a lot to them. I think she's best known for her 'Alfie' books?

Firstly, I love the illustrations in the book. The front cover is really vibrant and makes the book seem very appealling, and the drawings inside are very detailed.

The idea behind the story is great. I loved the beginning of the book - how the lonely Valerie found a friend in Cherubino when she bought him to life. How he was sent away to the orphanage, but then brought back because Valerie missed him and because he was pining away.

I loved the ending too. The dolphin and Valerie knew that Cherubino would come back to them one day. It was rather sad that Cherubino got life, which meant that the dolphin was neglected and alone, but maybe as an adult I'm taking it too seriously!

However - I gave the book to my 9-year-old daughter to read, and she declared it to be 'a bit dull, with not much of an ending!' I'm not sure what age this book is aimed at. She's not a big reader, but tends to like the Animal Ark books, which are more novel like, so perhaps she's a bit old for it?

(I realise this is not the best review in the world, but thought I'd get the ball rolling to see if it prompts any discussion!).

That's a great review! :D I mentioned it to Beth the other day, and she said she'd started it, and wasn't that interested. She's 7, so I'm not sure age wise.

My mum picked it up, and immediately mentioned how lovely the illustrations were. It strikes me as the kind of book that people may give as a gift, because it looks nice.. but isn't that interesting to children??

I'll take a look myself soon, and I'm also waiting for my god-daughter to finish her copy, as she did say she was enjoying it.

It's on the Random House site under the 5-7 age group. :D

Forgot to say - if anyone wants it sent on to them for the price of postage (no idea how much, as it's large but not heavy, but I'd let you know first), then PM me. :D

Spoke to Sal tonight and she gave me some feedback about Enchantment in the garden. As Follows:-

Georgia's comments:

1) Loved the illustrations.

2) Dolphin was her favourite character. Anything about the dolphin, she loved.

3) Favourite bits in the story were when the cats knocked over some pots (is that right...I don't have the book?), and when the dolphin was found again.

Sal's comments:

First thing Sal said was how fantastic the illustrations were. She thought they were so colourful and full of life. She's a big fan of Shirley Hughs and mentioned that she still loved Dogger which I vaguely remember too.

She felt the language was a little difficult for Georgia, but only because she hadn't heard words like 'governess' and 'orphanage' before. Once they were explained to her she was fine. Next time she reads it to Georgia, she'll understand more of it...thats the learning process.

Sal wasn't sure about the setting, Italy and Africa, but Georgia although not understanding everything was happy. She has a globe, so Sals going to show her England and Italy and Africa and pictures etc. Alot of scope for further topics of learning and onterest.

Sal said Georgia, despite only being 43/4 loved the story and the book. It was a big success. And she was able with a bit of prompting of understand most of it. And of course the pictures were a big hit.

Hope that helps Michelle.

PP

This seems to be a book that better for reading together, rather than by themselves. Beth and I sat down with it last night, and she seemed to enjoy it better. Some of the words make it difficult for lone reading, and she did need aspects of the story explained to her.

• 2 weeks later...

I read this book to my daughter Catherine who is aged seven.

As has been previously mentioned in earlier reviews she loved the illustrtaions.

As for the story she found it rather boring, she was curious to know exactly why Cheribino had been made into a statue? and why had his 'powerful sea God' father not searched for him or why he didn't manage to save him in the first place? And whom exactly turned him into a statue?

For me the book had a lot of loose ends, and never really got going, it seemed to skip from one part of the story to the next without any thought, also the prose was a little dull especially for children and the ending was very disapointing.

Sorry, I really would have liked to be more positive, perhaps with the next book?