Favourite book for Halloween?

Michelle

I know that some people have mentioned reading particular books at Christmas and Halloween, so I was wondering if anyone has plans to read something creepy this Halloween? Do you have a particular book you repeat every year, or do you aim for something new?

For those looking something new, which recommendations do you have.. for creepy, gory, disturbing etc?

Or, do you hate Halloween and/or scary books, and will make an effort to read something cheerful? biggrin.gif

They're children's books, but Halloween always makes me think of R.L. Stein's Goosebumps series. :) May need to get one tonight (the Egyptian Mummy one was my favorite as a kid!) and read it!

No, it's all about Revenge Of The Garden Gnomes... That one was the best. :)

No, it's all about Revenge Of The Garden Gnomes... That one was the best. :)

Oh gosh... there is something utterly terrifying about garden gnomes in general! I'd forgotten about that one!

It would be cool to get a book full of short ghost stories or something spooky like that, too.

I'm in the middle of reading a lot of supernatural books at the min but one that springs to mind is The Book Of Lost Things by John Connolly which I finished last week. It's a book about a fairytail land reached through a portal, not a normal, innocent, fairytail land though, this one gives us a dark twist on several of the more common fairytales like Little Red Riding Hood and Sleeping Beauty. Its a great read with a beautiful ending even though it does get quite dark, gory and twisted in places. I'd definitely recommend it ;)

I've also recently bought Through A Glass, Darkly by Bill Hussey and may read it next. Both books I've mentioned were recommended to me by Nollaig. Thanks Nollypop! :D

Anything by Edgar Allan Poe. I have The Graveyard Book on my TBR pile as well, which I think would be a great Halloween read. Unfortunately, I'm on a tight schedule with my current read so I doubt I'll get any Halloween reading in. :(

Quite by coincidence, I'm reading a vampire book - Denied by Pat Brien. I've been reading it a while now, but it's a bit of a chunker and I've been quite busy, so I'm still going with it. It's pretty good though. :)

Yes I'd agree with Neil Gaiman's 'the Graveyard Book' and sticking with creepy stories for kids, Chris Priestley's 'Tales of Terror' series are just perfect for this time of year, short stories with an interconnecting theme and just about enough horror to give you a shiver (but not enough to keep you awake at night.)

I want to read Poe's 'Fall of the House of Usher' and it's the perfect time of year to do it but I'm not quite brave enough to attempt it yet.

I have a favorite author for Halloween, not just one book.

Ray Bradbury.

These three in particular:

The Halloween Tree

The October Country

Something Wicked This Way Comes

If you like Ray Bradbury and Halloween, read these when you get the chance. :D

I'll always turn to Mr. King's Shining for a creepy read, although that's more of a winter read since there's a blizzard going on practically the whole book! My other Halloween book would definitely be Amityville Horror. Deliciously scary! :D