Couples, by John Updike - similar books?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi mountainhiker. I only noticed your query for the first time today. I would have expected myself to know loads, but actually haven't got a lot to suggest. :)

I can most definitely recommend 'A Lifetime Burning' by the excellent Linda Gillard. It has affairs, and then some.

A really useful resource if you are looking for a book similar in style to one you have read is this site. You pop in the authors name, and get a series of further authors who write with a similar style/outlook. That might give you a few ideas. Another place to visit might be fantastic fiction. Again tap in the author's name, or the book name, and at the bottom of the page you are presented with, you will have a 'authors similar to' bit.

Good luck finding what you need.

Another John Irving one is Widow For One Year.

A few others I can think of ....

The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje

Dr Zhivago by Boris Pasternak

Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen

The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller

The Colour Purple by Alice Walker

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Replying to my own query, I can recommend:

Henry and June: The Unexpurgated Diary of Anais Nin (1931-1932). This is nonfiction, and thus much more satisfying to read than a novel. Also, Nin is very explicit and holds nothing back. It is unusually frank even by today's standards, but perhaps that is not surprising since this is her uncensored diary. (Do not confuse the book with the movie, which bears no resemblance to the events in the book.)

If you like fiction, I also read recently and recommend Couples by John Updike.

• 10 months later...