Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

AbielleRose

Clockwork Angel is the first in the new Infernal Devices Series by YA fantasy author Cassandra Clare.

Magic is dangerous—but love is more dangerous still.

When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.

Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What’s more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.

Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by—and torn between—two best friends: James, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length . . . everyone, that is, but Tessa. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world. . . . and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.

I am a huge fan of Clare's Mortal Instruments series and was so happy when I heard her latest work would be set in the same world of the Shadowhunters. I would recommend that you read the Moral Instruments series before Clockwork Angel as Clare goes into much more detail about the world she has created and just who exactly the Shadowhunters are. Clare's writing style and dialogue are excellent and the story itself is very unique and hard to put down.

Edited by CaliLily

You have not. Honest to God. You must have been telling someone else. Seriously. I'll get them all in the end anyway.

I always get them in the end.

/Sinister.

/Off-topic.

Hopefully I'll be starting this one soon, I'm really looking forward to it. Flicked through and saw demons with acid blood, pentagrams, a chapter with 'angels' in the title and the like, so it looks interesting.

I bought Clockwork Angel a couple of weeks ago, but had no idea it was a prequel to another series! I just knew it was book one and thought I was good to go.

The series' can be read independently, but I'd recommend you read both because the Mortal Instruments gives much more detail about the world of the Shadowhunters. :) I hope you still read it and enjoy it!

• 3 months later...

Fab review Abby! :) I have 'Clockwork Angel' and 'The Mortal Instruments' books too (thanks to Charm for the recommendation) and I am looking forward to reading them more and more :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Clockwork Angel has been on my tbr pile for far too long! I need to get to it soon. I loved the first three of the Mortal Instruments series (and looking forward to the fourth) so I know I'll enjoy it when I finally get to it.

Don't forget, the next (fourth) book in the Mortal Instruments is coming out in April or My! *bounces*

Glad you're enjoying CA, Nursenblack! Are you Jem is one of my favorite YA charcters. He has such a unique and intriguing back story. Can't wait for the next in the series to read more about him. :)

Fab review Abby! :) I have 'Clockwork Angel' and 'The Mortal Instruments' books too (thanks to Charm for the recommendation) and I am looking forward to reading them more and more :)

I'm waiting for 'City of Fallen Angels' (Mortal Instruments 4) to be released on the 7th April 2011, then I am going to start reading them all, I am looking forward to reading them and then 'Clockwork Angel'. :)

I can't urge you enough to move it to the top of your TBR pile, Trillian. Like I said before, I enjoyed it more than the Mortal Instruments series, and those were great as it was! :smile2:

Decided to start it tonight lol! Might be a bad idea because I have a feeling it's one that's going to keep me reading long past the time I should be sleeping.

I love the mortal instruments series - I didn't realize that they were meant to be y/a when I started reading them. I'm pleased because I probably wouldn't have bothered with them and I'd have missed out. Havn't read clockwork angel yet, but can't wait for city of fallen angels.

I'm waiting for 'City of Fallen Angels' (Mortal Instruments 4) to be released on the 7th April 2011, then I am going to start reading them all, I am looking forward to reading them and then 'Clockwork Angel'. :)

Once the fourth book arrives, the books are at the top of my TBR pile :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

This was my first book of hers to read and I loved it. It took me a while to get into the book, but I couldn't put it down afterwards. I am now waiting to read the Mortal Instruments series and I hope it will be at least as good.