Novels on Social/Ethical Issues

what ages are grade 12? Are you after books aimmed at children or adults (or don't you mind?)? Do you have any specific social/ethical issues you want to cover?

Here's a few anyway:

Eva- Peter Dickson. I loved this book as a teenager and it still stays with me. About animal rights, and medical ethics.

Noughts and Crosses- Malorie Blackman. About racism. Set in a paralel world where white people are seen as the 'lower' class.

1984- George Orwell about government power.

Jodi Picoult novels. Most are about some sort of issue. Have a look see which appeals to you

what ages are grade 12? Are you after books aimmed at children or adults (or don't you mind?)? Do you have any specific social/ethical issues you want to cover?

Here's a few anyway:

Eva- Peter Dickson. I loved this book as a teenager and it still stays with me. About animal rights, and medical ethics.

Noughts and Crosses- Malorie Blackman. About racism. Set in a paralel world where white people are seen as the 'lower' class.

1984- George Orwell about government power.

Jodi Picoult novels. Most are about some sort of issue. Have a look see which appeals to you

I'm looking for adult books and I don't have any specific issue in mind. Things like euthanasia, abortion, etc.

Thank you so much for your reply I will definitely check those out

Hey I am looking for the most captivating novels that deal with social/ethical issues. If you guys know any good ones, your suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated as this is for grade 12 English and I need to do my best

Thanks in advance:)

To kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee is about racism and justice. I have never heard of a single person who did not like this book. If you know anyone who disliked it let me know as I have been wondering if this is the only book in the world that is universally loved.

And for that matter The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay also deals with racism and apartheid in South Africa.

Edited by ladymacbeth

Hey I am looking for the most captivating novels that deal with social/ethical issues. If you guys know any good ones, your suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated as this is for grade 12 English and I need to do my best

Thanks in advance:)

maybe 'In the Absence Of the Sacred: The failure of technology and the survival of the native american nations'. By Jerry Mander

As Lucy said, most (if not all) of Jodi Picouly novels have some kind of moral/ethical issues raised. One that stands out in my mind is My Sisters Keeper and Change of Heart which considers the issues regarding donors, particularly within the family.

Thank you all for your suggestions!

We aren't allowed to choose To Kill A Mockingbird because we studied it as a class last year.

I'm juggling a few options right now but I don't know if I've found the right one yet.

I need something that is going to be about an interesting, unique social issue so that my presentation can stand out.

Something broad like "war" would be alright but what would be even better would be a specific topic of war.

I was thinking about Catch-22 but I'm not sure if I can relate the themes in this book to social issues in our world TODAY.

Anyone know about Catch-22?

You guys are great thanks a lot.