Lustrum by Robert Harris

Karsa Orlong

The blurb, courtesy of Amazon:

Rome, 63 BC. In a city on the brink of acquiring a vast empire, seven men are struggling for power. Cicero is consul, Caesar his ruthless young rival, Pompey the republic's greatest general, Crassus its richest man, Cato a political fanatic, Catilina a psychopath, Clodius an ambitious playboy. The stories of these real historical figures - their alliances and betrayals, their cruelties and seductions, their brilliance and their crimes - are all interleaved to form this epic novel. Its narrator is Tiro, a slave who serves as confidential secretary to the wily, humane, complex Cicero. He knows all his master's secrets - a dangerous position to be in. From the discovery of a child's mutilated body, through judicial execution and a scandalous trial, to the brutal unleashing of the Roman mob, Lustrum is a study in the timeless enticements and horrors of power.

I bought this on a bit of a whim. I didn't realise that it was the second book in a trilogy and, fortunately, it didn't matter because it stands alone perfectly well. I'd been seeing the posters for it regularly on my tube travels and, having been watching Spartacus: Blood & Sand (not that that tv show particularly reflects history!), my curiosity about Ancient Rome had been piqued. So, when I saw this book in Waterstones' 3 for 2 offer it leaped out at me.

Lustrum tells the story of five years in the life of Cicero, from his year as Consul to the following years on the Senate, and his manoeuvring and battles with all the people named in the blurb above, particularly Caesar. I don't know a lot about those times - and someone who has studied the period might find fault with this book, I really don't know - but I found it absolutely enthralling. From the first page to the last I had a real struggle to put it down. Harris tells the story in first person from the viewpoint of Cicero's secretary, Tiro. His writing style flows beautifully and gives the story an energy and pace that I had not expected at all. With all the conspiracies and backstabbing that goes on, and the number of characters involved, it could quite easily have been confusing - but it isn't. The characters leap off the page and you can imagine that this is how they really were. Naturally, Cicero's speeches play a large part in the novel and Harris works them in seamlessly. Considering it's a book essentially about politics it is amazingly tense and exciting and - most importantly - easy to follow.

I found this to be a brilliant, thrilling novel. If it has done one thing, it has made me hungry to find out more about the period in which it is set, and the people it portrays, and I don't think you can pay a historical novel a higher compliment than that.

Highly recommended :)

I re-read imperium (the 1st book) but I disagree about not needing to read the 1st book, as a lot of his political enemies he had when he was younger become allies in the 2nd book out of desperation. The story of how Cicero became so powerful from such low roots and of his life long friends, wife; I think need to be understood to enjoy the 2nd book.

So read the first book as both are amazing.

It's next on my list of books to buy, that's for sure!

I didn't actually say that you don't need to read the first book, just that I still enjoyed Lustrum immensely even without having read Imperium, as you can tell from my comments, above. I'm certainly looking forward to an enhanced re-read of Lustrum at some point, even though I've only just finished it. :)

yeah dude you are right, I'm just trying to emphasise how well the books sit together, can't wait for the 3rd out in 2011 which finishes the trilogy - although I know how it all ends, that damn caesar and his emperors (ironically augustus was the first official emperor not julius)

On a side note if you like battles and a more sweeping use of the time period with pompeii, crassus and caesar etc - conn ingulden four emperor books were great although less legal and politically detailed.

On a side note if you like battles and a more sweeping use of the time period with pompeii, crassus and caesar etc - conn ingulden four emperor books were great although less legal and politically detailed.

Ah, that's interesting, thanks, cos I was looking at those as well. Someone also recommended Colleen McCullough's 'Masters of Rome' series to me - have you read any of those? Must admit, I'm kind of put off by the fact that she wrote The Thorn Birds ... ! :lol:

I'm going to pop into Waterstones and pick up Imperium (amongst other things!) today. Might get Pompeii as well, or one of the Iggulden's you mentioned. Just as I started working my way through my TBR pile, too :rolleyes::D