Philip Pullman - The Ruby In The Smoke

Janet

The ‘Blurb’

Soon after Sally Lockhart’s father drowns at sea, she receives a strange anonymous letter. The dire warning it contains makes a man die of fear at her feet. Determined to discover the truth about her father’s death, Sally is plunged into a terrifying mystery in the dark heart of Victorian London, at the centre of which lies a deadly, blood-soaked jewel.

Sally Lockhart is orphaned at 16, and is sent to live with her father’s second cousin, who resents the intrusion.

She receives a mysterious note in the post, warning her that her life is in danger, and telling to contact a man called Marchbanks, who will help her. It also contains the warning “beware of the seven blessings.”

With help from a lad called Jim at the shipping agents that her father worked for, Sally tries to solve the puzzle, whilst other people are plotting to kill her.

She goes to visit Marchbanks, and he gives her a book which will help her solve the mystery. He also warns her of a woman, who wishes harm on Sally and tells her the woman is in his house at that very moment. On the way back to the train, Sally hides from the mysterious woman in the tent of a young man, Frederick, who is a photographer. He gives her his card, which proves useful, as Sally has to turn to him for help and safety.

Pullman obviously ‘knows his stuff’ when it comes to Victorian England, and his characters and locations are beautifully written, which helps bring the story alive. It’s a bit simplistic, but this is a children’s book, so that’s hardly surprising. It was a good read though. Apparently it’s going to be on the BBC over Christmas, with Billie Piper playing Sally!

The paperback is 209 pages long and is published by Scholastic. The ISBN number is 0439943663.

6/10

(Read December 2006)

• 5 weeks later...
I'm really looking forward to the Beeb's drama version! I love the Sally Lockhart books so much more than His Dark Materials. The rest of them in the series are just as good as Ruby in the Smoke.

Can you tell me what the next book in the series is please? :roll:

Did anyone watch this? I thought it was a good adaptation of the book, and I liked Billie Piper as Sal.

I did! It was great! Did you think it was quite violent? That's Phillip Pullman for you: pulls no punches...

I haven't read the Sally Lockheart series, but was Billie's portrayl faithful to the books? After Doctor Who, I was surprised how quiet and thoughtful Sally was, especially in comparison to how gung-ho Rose was!

I thought it was pretty true to the book - a few minor changes, but nothing that spoilt it for me.

I agree - I thought it was by far the best book to film adaptation I have seen since, we,, forever!

There were scenes that were exactly as Pullman described them - it was like reliving my reading of it. Really well done!

I can't wait to see Shadow in the North when it appears.