If You Could See Me Now by Cecelia Ahern

Weave

Title: If you could see me now

Author: Cecelia Ahern

Paperback: 336 pages

Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers Ltd (21 Nov 2005)

Amazon ISBN: 0007212259

The info...

'This book is from the number 1 bestselling author of "PS, I Love You" and "Where Rainbows End" comes a love story with heart - and just a little bit of magic! Everything in Elizabeth Egan's life has its place, from the espresso cups in her gleaming kitchen to the swatches and paint pots of her interior design business. Order and precision keep life under control - and Elizabeth's heart from the pain and hurt she has suffered in the past. The only cloud on the horizon is her sister Saoirse, a red-haired whirlwind always leaving behind pieces, which Elizabeth struggles to pick up - including her six-year-old son Luke. Being a reluctant mother while trying to keep her business on track is a full-time job, one which leaves little room for error - or fun. Until, one day, a stranger unexpectedly comes into their lives. Ivan is carefree, spontaneous and always looking for adventure - everything that Elizabeth is not. In no time at all, he has crept under her skin and started to change her life in ways she could never have . She knows barely anything about Ivan - who he is and whether he is everything he seems. And, if there is a future for their blossoming relationship! Full of Cecelia Ahern's trademark warmth and poignancy, "If You Could See Me Now" is a love story with heart - and just a little bit of magic!'

Having read 'Ps I love you' and 'Where Rainbows End' by the same author, I have to said 'If you could see me now' is one of Cecelia Ahern's best. It has a great story with wonderful characters and a lot of heart. If you get a chance, read it.

:blush:

I have to say that the book didn't wiggle me at all, and wasn't helped by the implausible premise. One of the very few books I have put aside after starting. A glance forward at the ending finally convinced me I didn't want to go back and read the middle. The plot development and characters just seemed way too simple-minded. Sorry.

I have to say that the book didn't wiggle me at all, and wasn't helped by the implausible premise. One of the very few books I have put aside after starting. A glance forward at the ending finally convinced me I didn't want to go back and read the middle. The plot development and characters just seemed way too simple-minded. Sorry.

Thanks for your reply Paul, I am sorry you did not like 'If You Could See Me Now', but if we all liked the same thing it would be a very boring world.

Thanks again:blush:

• 1 month later...

I really enjoyed this book and the other two. I was expecting not to because I was told by a lot of people that they felt the first book was the best and the others a let down after that.

Whatever Cecelia Ahern writes she does it very well, the story is very easy to follow and I found it easy to get into from page 1. :friends0:

• 2 years later...

if-you-could-see-me-now.jpg

Waterstone's Synopsis:

From the internationally bestselling author of PS, I Love You and Where Rainbows End comes an enchanting novel -- with more than a little magic! What if love was right there in front of you -- you just couldn't see it? Elizabeth Egan is too busy for friends. As a reluctant mother to her sister Saoirse's young son Luke and with her own business to run, every precious moment is made to count. But with Saoirse crashing in and out of their lives, leaving both her sister and her son reeling, Luke and Elizabeth are desperately in need of some magic. Enter Ivan. Wild, spontaneous and always looking for adventure, in no time at all Ivan has changed Elizabeth in ways she could never have imagined. But is Ivan too good to be true? Has Elizabeth opened her heart only to risk it being broken again? As for Ivan, he thought he was there to help Luke not Elizabeth -- or himself!

I found Ahern an intriguing author. Some of her books, such as PS I Love You and Where Rainbows End I really enjoyed, others, such as A Place Called Here I didn't get on with at all. This one, If You Could See Me Now, I found interesting but not realistic. This book features stressed women, cute boys and imaginary friends.

Ivan, a mysterious character has just turned up and started hanging out with Luke. But it seems that Elizabeth is in tune with him too... I found this highly unbelievably. She did not realise that Ivan was the same imaginary Ivan that Luke was playing with and did not pick up on the fact others could not see him. She is a smart woman and was just making a fool of herself and that annoyed me.

However, this is a light read and when I ignored the spectacle Elizabeth was making I did enjoy reading about how Ivan was changing her life. There were some beautiful moments in the book that will stay with me, such as dancing in the dandelion field at dawn.

I liked Elizabeth at the beginning. Although she was moody and cold she seemed realistic and I could empathise with her and her situation. As the story unfolded my attitude changed as she changed. There were moments I really felt for her, and others when she really bugged me. Ivan didn't make much of an impression on me. I found myself wanting him to come clean and explain who he was.

This is an easy read, and for the most part enjoyable. It is unrealistic chick-lit and not Ahern's best novel but it was OK.

3/5

Good review Kate :roll: I agree that this wasn't Cecelia Ahern's best. I read this straight after PS I Love You and Where Rainbows End and I was disappointed with it. Saying that, it's still an easy read and a cute story, but I won't be in a hurry to read it again.