Dave Pelzer : A Child Called It

Michelle

After looking at it many times, I finally picked up the trilogy in a charity shop, and have almost finished the first part, A Child Called It.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0752853716/202-5673453-4646244

It is the most amazing, heart-breaking story. It is just beyond me to believe that people like this exist.. the cruelty is just beyond words.

I'm glad I have the trilogy, because I believe that Dave grows to be an extraordinary man, helping others.. and I have to read that positive outcome.

I read the first of his books a few years ago and thought it was incredibly written, and a heart-wrenching story.

I have the other 2 books but haven't read them yet. It is almost unbelievable sometimes to find out how differently some people live and grow up.

This is actually one of the very few books my sister (who is an absolute non-reader) has read from cover to cover. I think she even read the sequels. I really should get hold of them myself for a looksee.

• 3 weeks later...

I was chatting to my sis on the phone tonight & metnioed that I'd got hold of a copy of this. She said she'd managed to read all 3 books in little over a week.

My sister doesn't read - it took her 6 months to read Jude the Obscure for her Higher English.

This is something of a miracle.

She's offered to lend me the other 2 when I've read this one.

• 3 weeks later...

I certainly plan on it - my sister has them all & has promised to lend me the other 2 when I've got through a few more on my "to read" list (I don't think I could read all 3 in one go - it was harrowing enough reading this one!).

• 1 month later...

I've read all 3 of his, and I think that this first one is the most harrowing.

I was just so horrified about what he went through and I certainly would have loved to have got my hands on his mother :grr:

It certainly gets your emotions going.

It certainly gets you wondering about what on earth was going through her mind when she decided to single out one of her children for such terrible treatment. It's quite clear she was a profoundly disturbed woman who deserved some pity, but it's so difficult to feel pity for someone who has caused to much pain to a helpless child.

Tell you what though, if I ever had the chance to play her in a folm version of this boko, I'd snap it up - it would be such a challenge!

Guest Anonymous

I've read this too, and the 2 that follow on.

It was very sad indeed.

I found I had to keep going to find out what happened to him at the end, which i won't say, in case some people haven't read it.

The mum really made me want to strangle her through the pages at certain points of the book.

folm version of this boko,

Kell, your typing is getting as bad as mine! :D

not at all, it's... erm... it's Swedish. Yes, Swedish, that's right - LOL!

Do you know the one thing that kept me reading was because I need to find out why she did what she did. Not that I think theres much that can justify her actions, but I needed to know why, and I never really got that answer. :D

When I think of David Pelzer, I see a man who has truly overcome the odds, its people like him who make me put all my gripes into perspective.

That was awful and one of the reasons I'm so protective of my kids, there is just so much danger around that it makes childhood a more confined time.

I remember walking off to the park to meet friends when I was 7 or 8, we thought nothing of playing out the front of our house when we were younger, now I'm too paranoid about someone snatching my 3, or them getting knocked down to let them out (besides they're too young, maybe when they're 18 they can go out :shock: )

Michelle wrote

she's too frightened to go back to her own house, it's so sad.

One can't even begin to even imagine the fear and terror that child has felt. The ramifications of this will affect the rest of her years, even if she does ever eventually reconcile in her head what has happened. My heart really goes out to her and her family

In my job, I have come across incidents of child abuse and nothing ever prepares you for it or clears it out of your head. I haven't read A Child called It, but I know just how it must read. One can't help thinking if only some-one had picked up on the clues sooner..............

I'm so protective of my kids, there is just so much danger around that it makes childhood a more confined time.

One thing I am dreading, is my son being a teenager. I will not be able to keep him safe, and I know that he would think I am meddling and being over-protective, but he would be still a baby.

Maureen wrote

One thing I am dreading, is my son being a teenager...............think I am meddling and being over-protective,

My daughter is 10 and is due to start secondary school in September and it is now not cool to be dropped off at the school gates! We are beginning to let her go with her brother a very short distance (100-200yards) on her own. This is the worst thing I have done so far, THE FEAR IS GREAT, BELIEVE ME ........but I know that I must do it so that her confidence is built up bythe time she starts. Many of her friends are walking a good mile already............ now a whole set of new rules are coming in.......

• 3 weeks later...