Dave Pelzer : A Child Called It

Michelle

I read these books years ago, but read the third one first because it was separate to the other two for promotion of the books. I bought the others the week after and took them all down to an army barracks to read.

I was uplifted, horrified and sypathetic all at once.

I have recently given my sister the first two. She never reads, but our older sister has told her she has to read these books so that she can do the same job as Sarah does. She told me last week that she really enjoyed the first one and felt for Dave. She was really up for talking about the book which is great for someone who will not normally touch books

I read the first one about five or six years ago. The book was a really difficult, and yet compelling, read. I had to put it down in some parts, because I felt as though I really sick (I'm very squeamish!), and yet I had to finish it.

I have since read the other books.

I know his mother had some kind of mental illness, but as a mother myself, I have no comprehension of how Dave's mother could have been so totally and utterly cruel.

• 3 years later...

This is a book about child abuse. The author was abused by his mother when he was a child, until he was 12 years old. The 'crazy' mother burned the author's hand, deprived him of food for 10 days, made him ate his own vomit, made him ate dog's food, poisoned him with chemical, hit him and did not call him by name, but instead, called him by the word, "It".

The story really portrayed to me about how mad people can be, sometimes. As I read the story, I think the mother is mad. Something must be wrong with her to abuse her child the way she does.

I have read all of the books, Kell and Michelle pretty much summed them up, I could not believe that an adult, a mother could do such things to her child, it was unbelieveable.

I always remember the part in the second book, 'The Lost Boy', his Mum appears at his foster home and cannot be any nicer until his stepmother leaves the room and her personality changes and she starts threatening him, it was awful to read.

• 3 weeks later...

this is the one book which sits on the shelf unread... I started reading Book 1 about 4 years ago, when my son was exactly the same age as Dave, and I could not get myself to read through it... maybe some day when he's much older...

I agree with all the comments, you just can never imagine how one human being could do this to another let alone a mother to her own child.

I read the books some years ago and these are my thoughts exactly on what I read.