Hello from the Idiot

100th Idiot

Quick hello now that I have joined BCF. Spend quite a bit of time reading and have a reasonably mixed taste from classics through modern novels to techno thrillers and scifi. Maybe a bit of history thrown in.

I'll list some favourite authors later but for now there are bonus points for anyone that can get the literary reference from my forum name.

Welcome to the forum. Hmm, not sure about the '100th' bit. The only idiot I can think of at the moment is Dostoyevsky's The Idiot.

A Clockwork Orange is one of my favourite novels. :)

Afraid the 100th bit is a critical part of the reference. Not Dostoyevsky. Nothing quite so deep.

"100 idiots make idiotic plans, and carry them out. All but one justly fail. The hundredth idiot whose plans succeeded through pure luck, is immediately convinced he’s a genius.” -Iain Banks from Matter

Welcome to the forum. I have to admit I cheated and looked it up, because I have never read anything by that author. :D

"100 idiots make idiotic plans, and carry them out. All but one justly fail. The hundredth idiot whose plans succeeded through pure luck, is immediately convinced he's a genius."

—Iain Banks, Matter

Welcome to the forum, remember post and they shall reply :)

Damn Pixie beat me to it :)

Edited by Vladd

Pixie and Vladd get the bonus points. Iain Banks is one of my favourite authors for both his novels and scifi. Other favourites are John Irving, Vladimir Nabokov, Christopher Brookmyre and Milan Kundera.

Excellent taste! :)