Has anyone ever had a mishap with a book?

The other day I was reading in the bath and had just finished my book. I reached over to put the book on top of the toilet seat, and then heard a splash!! :o The seat was up thanks to my husband who had interrupted me whilst I was engrossed :irked:

Needless to say that it was very soggy indeed!

Thank goodness it was mine and not one loaned from the library!!

I don't like to lend my books to my dad for a similar reason. He only ever reads in the bath, and I've often had books returned to me that are now twice the size they once were because he dropped it in the water.

Aside from that, I have had a book before where an entire chapter fell out as I was reading it.

Yeah mine have gotten wet but the worst was unbeknownst to me one of my books had fallen of the bookshelf after about a week I was tidying went to pick it to find the Guinea Pig (my Monster) had chewed the front cover (at least it was only the front and I can still read the book)

I always read in the bath and have managed to keep every book dry so far (touch wood). I was once carrying a bag with a few books in and it broke. One of my books ended up in a puddle. I didn't manage to dry it out properly so had to buy the book again :irked:

I always read in the bath and have managed to keep every book dry so far (touch wood). I was once carrying a bag with a few books in and it broke. One of my books ended up in a puddle. I didn't manage to dry it out properly so had to buy the book again :irked:

Oh Stephanie :friends3:

Thanks :) I was so annoyed. I think anything else could have got wet and it wouldn't have bothered me. But it had to be a book :lol:

Its always the way hen :)

When I was about 9 I was returning books to the library by myself, one of the first times I went alone, and on the way I accidentally dropped one of my books into a puddle. All the page edges got soaked. When I got to the library I put all the books on the counter and ran for it. :cool:

When I was at college I had a book mishap. I was at work experience and pulled my book out of my bag to find that my orange squash had leaked! When I had to return it to the library I tried to act like nothing was wrong, but they clocked it straight away. I never did actually finish the book, though it's still sitting on my bookshelf...

The other day I was reading in the bath and had just finished my book. I reached over to put the book on top of the toilet seat, and then heard a splash!! :o The seat was up thanks to my husband who had interrupted me whilst I was engrossed :irked:

I know everyone's thinking it, so I'll just go ahead and say it:

I hope he flushed . . . :ph34r:

I've had a few horrible mishaps:

-As a little kid, I had this old book of children's poetry that I loved. It was probably published sometime in the early 1900s. Well, I was carrying it around with me one day and left it outside. And then it rained. Needless to say, my parents were very displeased at the result...the poor book was ruined!

-At one of our old apartments, we had a lack of bookshelves, so I kept a lot of my favorite paperbacks in a box in the closet. After being gone for two days, we came home and discovered two inches of water in the bathroom and the closet (which was in the bathroom). It turns out, the neighbors upstairs had been running their washing machine, which hadn't been installed properly, and a cascade of water had entered our apartment...right on top of my box of books. It just so happened that their washer was directly above my cherished novels. They were all waterlogged and ruined, and the apartment people never even apologized.

-I think I have spilled pizza sauce, Coke, and iced tea on at least 50 of my books. I can't help myself.

I was reading in the garden while my dad burnt some garden rubbish once. He asked me to fetch him something so I put the book on the floor, and a branch promptly rolled off the fire straight onto it, left big black marks. I was only about 10 at the time, I would never be so careless with a book now! I did drop one in the bath when I was a kid too. Guess I've learnt the hard way to be more careful.

Edited by smilerbabeuk

I'm fortunate in that I've never had a bathroom book mishap. I've also trained my hubby to put the lid back down when he's finished if he wants to remain recognisably male!

I'm fortunate in that I've never had a bathroom book mishap. I've also trained my hubby to put the lid back down when he's finished if he wants to remain recognisably male!

Haha I've done that too!

I had a book in my bag and my bottle of water leaked. The book is now misshaped! And I split tea over a few pages of a library book, but it was in the middle of the book and there are self-service machines so I got away with it :blush:

This thread made me think of a friend of mine (I hope she won't mind me mentioning them xD ).

She had borrowed Ulysses from the library and was sooo happy about reading it. And after a few days, she tells me she can't find it anywhere :huh: So she looks for it again and again, and doesn't find it. She goes to the library for an awkward meeting with the ol' rude librarians (I think I've written about them before) to tell them she had lost the book. Anyway, she had to replace the book with another one (same year, edition and all), but luckily she found it in a shop.

And then after a few weeks, after doing some major room cleaning she tells me ''Guess what? I found Ulysses!'' so I ask her where and she replies ''Under my mattress'' :doh: Anyhow, I'm sure you all know how thick a book this is, and neither of us could believe she had slept on it for a while and not felt it :lol:

And how it got there in the first place...

She still hasn't read the book due to bad memories associated with it.

My dad got a new puppy a few years back and she was a not a calm and obedient one. Needless to say you should not leave your copy of Harry Potter and the Half-blood prince next to the dogs bed. Luckily she only manged to eat the first few pages that has the title and information and not any of the chapters.

Aww

Aww that a shame

Did you have to pay for the book?

Yuck if he never.

I did have to pay... :(

My two most epic mishaps:

- San Siro Stadium in Milan, Bruce Springsteen gig. It thunderstormed on us for three hours straight, and I so happened to have Douglas Adams's The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul in my zipless bag. The pages were so glued together as to form a book-sized brick... no more reading to be gotten out of that one!

- one of London's too many stations. I had a huge suitcase on wheels full of university books; they were already damp as the rain had been seeping through the fabric for ages, but then the bottom of the bag split and whole years worth of English Lit reading lists fell in the mud. I remember asking for help carrying the utterly broken bag full of utterly ruined books, but people flat out told me they couldn't be sure I wasn't a terrorist...