Holiday Reading For A Teenager

Hi,

I'm 14 years old and i'm going on holiday next week and need some good books to take.

Generally, I have an eclectic taste and consider myself a mature reader so i don't mind reccomendations of adult fiction.

I'm now fed up with the vampire obsession having read many twilight 'clones'. However i do enjoy fantasy and historical fiction. Some of the best books i have recently read are: The Painted Man, The Desert Spear, The Other Boleyn Girl, The Magicians Guild, Hunger Games and the Night Angel Trilogy.

So if anyone has any reccomedations they would be much appreciated! :)

How about The Host by stephenie Meyer, no vampires in sight but a good read none the less. The Time Travellers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger? The magic Toyshop by Angela carter? The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Catching Fire, the second book in the Hunger Games trilogy is also available now.......

Have you read the second in the Hunger Games series? It is suppose to be better than the first.

How about some Jasper Fforde? I have only read The Big Over Easy and The fourth Bear, but I find them great for light Holiday reading.

Another book that maybe quite good is Wicked. The others name has dissapeared on me, but I am sure someone on here will give you the name. The theatre production of the same name is based on the book.

Have you tried the HOuse of the Night Series by P.C and Kirstin Cast? It's a vampire series but nothing like Twilight.

Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick is another book that I really enjoyed. Not vampires as such but can be compared to twilight. Also Shiver by Maggie (forgot her surname) A big favourite with some of us on this forum and the second one in the series has jus come out. Not about vampires but Warewolves.

If you haven't read Phillip Pullman'sDark Material's Trilogy of 'Northern Lights', 'The Subtle Knife' and 'The Amber Spyglass', then I would definitely suggest you get your hands on those.

Salman Rushdie's 'Midnight's Children' is a brilliant book, although some find it takes a page or two to get into it.

For some quirly historical reads I'd suggest Julian Rathbone. Two that I have read are 'Kings Of Albion', and 'The Last English King' . They were both excellent.

Jasper Fforde is a wonderful writer, with believable oddity and warpedness! A great starter for his writing would be 'The Big Over Easy'.

Terry Pratchett is a favourite of mine, and I adore his Tiffany Aching series. Tiffany is such a fantastic heroine. ''Wee Free Men'. 'A Hat Full Of Sky' and ' Wintersmith'. They are allegedly considered young adult, but with writing like this with beautifully constructed stories full of pathos and humour, they are certainly not childish.

Have a great holiday! :)

Another book that maybe quite good is Wicked. The others name has dissapeared on me, but I am sure someone on here will give you the name. The theatre production of the same name is based on the book.
+ Son of a Witch + A Lion Among Men :D haven't read ALAM yet but the first two at least are brilliant.

May I further suggest Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, Anansi Boys and Stardust if you haven't read them yet? Such superb storytelling.

Finally, I am currently reading Charles de Lint's The Blue Girl and it is an absolute gem of YA fiction, so much so I badly wish I'd had it to read ten years ago - I don't even need to finish it to recommend it to you.

I always advise the Adrian Mole books as they are perfect holiday reads at any age- its all broken down daily so its easy to finish a day to put the book down to go do something else rather than stop-starting mid chapter.

How about The Host by stephenie Meyer, no vampires in sight but a good read none the less. The Time Travellers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger? The magic Toyshop by Angela carter? The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Catching Fire, the second book in the Hunger Games trilogy is also available now.......

I second The Host and The Book Thief. I'm currently just over halfway through The Book Thief and absolutely love it, and I just bought The Host the other day.