Books to cheer you up and inspire you

When I feel down I like to read Jonathan Livingstone Seagull by Richard Bach. It always picks me up. What is your favourite book to make you feel good and restore your karma?

Oh, here is a link about the book . But DON'T read the plot!! It will ruin the book for you. The book has a spiritual message:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Livingston_Seagull

Edited by vodkafan

I tend to reach for a small book of poetry that I have sitting on my shelf, I always find something in there to help. Another thing I do is play my Jonathan Livingston Seagull CD, I find it so calming, I've never read the book but one of these days I will. :D

When I'm in need of comfort reading, I'll usually head toward Jane Austen. I just finished re-reading Persuasion and I'm now on to Northanger Abbey. Jane is like therapy for me. :roll:

If I'm lucky enough to be at my parent's house - I co-own these with my sister; she said I can be the one to buy brand new copies as I'm the one who's fussed about condition - I tend to return to the books of Bianca Pitzorno I adored as a child. In particular: Ascolta il Mio Cuore (Listen to My Heart), about three best friends overcoming the tiranny of an evil teacher, directly contributed to my discovering that like the protagonist I wanted to be a writer when I grew up, and is therefore always invigorating to pick up again when my inner author feels disillusioned; while Extraterrestre alla Pari (Extraterrestrial Au Pair), about a little alien whose sex won't be revealed until he/she is much older because why should boys and girls be brought up any different?, is simply beautiful and inspiring.

Edited by BookJumper

I keep Maeve Binchy's 'Circle of Friends' in my nightstand always, and I'll reach for that 9 times out of 10 for a pick-me-up. Otherwise I'll read the first Anne of Green Gables book since it brings back tons of good memories from when I first read them as a teen.

Whenever I am down, almost anything by Ray Bradbury will cheer me up and inspire me. There is always an element of hope in his works and an exuberance for life in his writing style.

I have quite a few books written by a Buddhist nun called Pema Chodron & i tend to pick anyone of those up if i'm feeling battered by life & they help to centre me again :roll: