Second-hand books - can you do it?

gax23

This is an interesting one for me and one I've often thought about. Does anyone else have a problem buying second-hand books?

For me, books are a very personal experience. To feel that someone else has been there before you and read the book is almost akin to your girlfriend telling you about her previous sexual partners in great detail. I don't even like borrowing a book which may have only been read once from a friend.

The only exception I make is when I see beautiful old editions in bookshops (I found a book on English prose in a local bookshop recently - named inside with the previous owner's name, and marked 'Cambridge University, October 1912' - how can you refuse that?).

I find the whole pleasure to be in owning the book and it being a part of my collection - and mine only. What are your thoughts?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have any problem buying second hand books in fact most of the books i buy are from charity shops. I especially like it if the book has been bought as a present & so has a little note in the front from the giver to the recipient it always makes me wonder about the books previous owner :D

Generally I don't have a problem either. Although I would steer clear of books that have obviously been abused with coffee stains and tears all over them.

After all, I put books into Charity Shops that I have read and enjoyed and hope they are loved by the next reader.

Gax, does that mean you don't borrow from the Library either?

For me, books are a very personal experience. To feel that someone else has been there before you and read the book is almost akin to your girlfriend telling you about her previous sexual partners in great detail. I don't even like borrowing a book which may have only been read once from a friend.

I tend to feel the same :). And I also think I'm a bit neurotic because of that (LOL) like, enjoying a book so much, talking about it with my friends and then... finding a million excuses not to lend them the book in case it might never return !

I hardly never borrow books either and have problems taking them from the library, except when I really have to.

I'm afraid we have a serious case for Dr Freud here, don't you think ?

Now, will I buy a one-century-old book on a "Brocante"..... damn... I do it almost every weekend, and I have no problem with that !

Maybe some scholar might research that case ! :D

Many of the books I buy for myself are 2nd hand, and most of those are through Green Metropolis, where I can choose the condition of the book I want, so I only tend to go for the "as new" and "excellent" copies, as I like my books to look nice, even when they're not brand new. I have to admit, though, you can get new books so cheaply these days from places like The Works and pound shops, that I often buy new titles from there by untried authors because there's little risk that I'm wasting money (as it's only a couple of quid) and often they're hardbacks at those super low prices (I got 3 of the boxed, leathr-bound Bill Amberg Classics from The Works - one was

Second hand books???? I read them all the time and they are always in good condition and are looked after so others can get them in the same good contion as I got them. I sometimes buy them from the supermatket at 2 for

I don't have a problem with second-hand books if they look new or almost new. But my experience yesterday at the local used bookstore was a tragedy. I would say almost 95% of the selections were in abysmal condition according to my estimation. I only found one book that I was interested in and that met with my aesthetic approval. :D

I am going to have to stick to new bookstores from now on, I think.

Gax, does that mean you don't borrow from the Library either?

I don't, although I did when I was much younger. I live in the sticks and the nearest library of note is some distance away so that doesn't help. I love the thrill of owning a book - and owning it from new. I couldn't possibly bear to put one into a charity bag, either.

When my grandmother died a couple of years ago my grandfather sold his house and moved in with us. As we helped him clear out his old house, I noticed some books in the skip. I almost flew into a rage but kept my cool, took them out and gave them a loving home on my bookshelf :D

I buy most of my books second hand as well, for exactly the same reason Janet mentioned. There are so many I have on my wish list, that I couldn't afford to buy them all new. At least I couldn't justify it when there are groceries to be bought and other bills to be paid! :D I frequet used book stores and also the library books sales that they hold every couple of months.

I do have a friend though who can't read a second-hand book for the reasons you mentioned, Gax23. She doesn't want to read something that was held previously by someone else.

I try to buy as many new books as possible. I'm really picky with my books. I hate creases or spills and HATE when the spine has been crinkled or snapped. So if I do buy second hand books, I have to make sure they're practically perfect (and I do find books which don't even look read).

Yep, as above! Cheap and cheerful. Also I quite like it when books have a history. This mostly applies to very old books. I have a couple from the early 1900's for example, and I can just imagine some lady in layered skirts and floral hat sitting in the park reading the same book as I am.

The only new books I own are the ones I get as presents at Christmas. All the books I buy are second hand. But on the other hand I don't buy books to keep, only to read and then pass on.

90% of the books we buy are second hand, although it couldn't be told by looking at them. Most are in pristine condition. When we buy from Amazon Marketplace, the condition has to be either Very Good or Excellent, or even Like New.

I like the mention of "pre-loved" books. We do love our books, reading them, enjoying them on the shelves, just the vibes.

There is no way we could own all the books we do if we'd bought new. I am someone that keeps all the books we buy. One never knows if a reread will be in order. :D So it's best to be sure.

So, I can safely say, no, neither of us have a problem buying used books, for both aesthetic reasons and financial.

I don't really understand the mind set of needing everything one owns to be brand new. But to each his own kettle of fish I always say. And, if you can afford it, go for it!

I don't have a problem. I think used book shops are a god send for people living on monthly allowance from their parents like I do!

I wouldn't have had half the books I do now if it weren't for used books!

Absolutely, especially if you're an avid reader, it's just not financially possible to buy new books all the time.

Second hand shops and libraries have kept me in books when money has been tight.

Plus, there's always the chance that you will buy a new book and not particularly like it which is a waste of money and they all end up at the charity shops. I try and do it the other way around now, if I read a second hand or library book and love it, I make a mental note to buy my own fresh copy when I can afford it. There are always going to be books that you just can't wait for but then you usually know that they're going to be worth the investment.

I used to be squeamish about buying books that are very tatty or dirty but I'm getting better.

90% of the books we buy are second hand, although it couldn't be told by looking at them. Most are in pristine condition. When we buy from Amazon Marketplace, the condition has to be either Very Good or Excellent, or even Like New.

This is what I do as well. I just can't bear to have books with covers falling off, spine breakage, and pages falling out. :D

Oh, and books with highlighting in them are really a problem for me as well.

This is what I do as well. I just can't bear to have books with covers falling off, spine breakage, and pages falling out. :)

Oh, and books with highlighting in them are really a problem for me as well.

I won't buy a book with highlighting or underlining.

LOL I suppose that is as good a reason as any not to get rid of any of my books, I do underline in pencil and sometimes write in the margins. Usually only a cross reference, but sometimes the definition of a word I've had to look up. Heresy I know! :D But in book discussions, it's a necessity [for me].

I have no problem buying second hand or using the library. It suits my budget and I like the thought of books being read and passed on to another. The content of the book is what interest me most. I resell or give my books back to charity shops. I'm not one for shelf dusting so I only keep a shelf of books at a time apart from study books.

A lot of my books are second hand. I love a well-loved book, even if it's quite worn. I won't buy it if it's completely beat up or unreadable, or just gross, but cracked spines and dogeared pages don't bother me.

Most of the books that I buy are second hand, purely for the reason that I do not have enough pennies to buy new books all the time. The only time I buy new books are when I get gift cards at Christmas or on my birthday. I treat myself to a new book every couple of months.

I'm finding I'm getting more and more picky. I never used to mind second hand books, especially as the majority of my books get one reading then get passed onto charity shops, however, I've noticed that I keep putting off reading books I've picked up in the charity shop. Bizarrely though, this doesn't seem to apply to library books which I'm more than happy to read. I'm just a whole bundle of contradictions as usual :D

Buying second hand certainly keeps the cost of reading down and it makes money for charities if you buy at a charity shop so I can't see the down side.

There is a beautiful shop (not a charity shop) in Alnwick called barter books where you can take your old books in and get store credit for them. Win win as far as I'm concerned. They have a fantastic collection and the shop is AMAZING.

I once picked up a first edition Stephen King in fine condition at a cancer research shop for