Your Book Activity Today - Thread 12

Janet

Have read just under 100 pages of Hyperion. I normally abhor the kind of sci-fi that seem to make up words for planets and character names willy nilly, which on first glance is what I thought this was going to be. But I am really enjoying this so far, sci-fi with a human angle. Looking forward to reading more today, which is a sure sign of a good book.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished Deja Dead-Kathy Reichs. It was entertaining enough that I'd read some more of her novels, but a bit samey. There wasn't really anything to distinguish it from the other hundreds of crime novels I've read.

Next off the pile; The Witch of Portobello-Paul Coelho. I know he's a favourite of several forumites. So if its awful I hope you'll feel suitably ashamed and guiltridden. :)

A lack of new books this week has meant I have had to go back to some old favourites so I am re-reading Fred Vargas - Wash this blood clean from my hands, still a good book though. The audio book I have though is less goo Will Kingdom - The Cold Calling, its confusing and badly narrated, I prefer the work he does as Phil Rickman.

In the last few days, I finished The Magician's Nephew by CS Lewis, The Outsiders by SE Hinton and Knife Edge by Malorie Blackman.

I'm going to start on Checkmate by Malorie Blackman next, and Something Rotten by Jasper Fforde.

While we've been away, I've read Narcissus In Chains by Laurell K. Hamilton and the fourth and fifth books in the Morganville Vampire series by Rachel Caine.

Bought The Secret Lives of People in Love by Simon Van Booy and Linger by Maggie Steifvater

In the last few days, I finished The Magician's Nephew by CS Lewis, The Outsiders by SE Hinton and Knife Edge by Malorie Blackman.

I'm going to start on Checkmate by Malorie Blackman next, and Something Rotten by Jasper Fforde.

How are you enjoying the Malorie Blackman books? I loved them :)

I finished Franklin and Winston, Tinkling the English, The Last Song, One Dog at a Time and reread No Place Like Home this week -- I was on holiday and made the most of it :)

I am now reading Lord Robert by Jean Plaidy

I read Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen while the forum was being moved and loved it!

I am now reading The Ghost Writer by John Harwood and loving it as well. :22:

I bought some books during our mini break from BCF :)

Under the Dome by Stephen King

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger

The Passage by Justin Cronin

Possession: A Romance by A.S. Byatt

A Stranger Came Ashore by Mollie Hunter

:)

I read Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen while the forum was being moved and loved it!

I am now reading The Ghost Writer by John Harwood and loving it as well. :22:

I am glad you are enjoying 'The Ghost Writer' Pixie, its a great read :)

Edited by Weave

How are you enjoying the Malorie Blackman books? I loved them :)

I'm really enjoying them Jessi. smile.gif They're surprisingly 'full-on' in places, for young adult novels. I left too big a gap between the first and second books and forgot some plot points, so I'm going to read the third and fourth books straight away before I forget anything else.

I bought some books during our mini break from BCF :)

Under the Dome by Stephen King

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger

The Passage by Justin Cronin

Possession: A Romance by A.S. Byatt

A Stranger Came Ashore by Mollie Hunter

Nice haul Weave!

Nothing today but my most recent bookish exploits involved reading The Shadow Of The Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon in one day, and starting Good Behavior by Molly Keane the next.

I finished Don't Look Now & Other Stories last night, it wasn't bad i'd probably give it 3/5.

I've just started Cutting For Stone by Abraham Verghese

I managed to pick up 7 more books to add to Mount TBR last night:

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Evermore by Alyson Noel

Nightlight- A Twilight Parody by The Harvard Lampoon

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by Frank L Baum

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

A Little Princess by Francess Hodgson Burnett

I also started reading Glass Houses by Rachel Caine and am now 3 chapters in. :)

I bought 6 books on Sunday last week:

The return by Victoria Hislop

Notes from an Exhibition by Patrick Gale

Nineteen Minutes by Jodie Picoult

The importance of being Kennedy by Laurie Graham

Crosscut by Meg Gardiner

The time of the hunters moon by Victoria Holt

I have read the return (which I enjoyed) and going to start Notes from an exhibition.

Listening to Martin Freeman read The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. Being a huge fan of the way Stephen Fry interprets Douglas Adams, I wasn't sure if I'd like Freeman's interpretation, but they're so different one can't really draw comparisons - while Fry is the master of silky smooth third person narration, Freeman is spectacularly good at voices. His ubercool Zaphod and deadpan Marvin are particularly brilliant.

Nothing today but my most recent bookish exploits involved reading The Shadow Of The Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon in one day

Wow, I'm impressed that you read that in a day Noll!

I managed to pick up 7 more books to add to Mount TBR last night:

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Evermore by Alyson Noel

Nightlight- A Twilight Parody by The Harvard Lampoon

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by Frank L Baum

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

A Little Princess by Francess Hodgson Burnett

Another great haul Abby. smile.gif

Listening to Martin Freeman read The Restaurant at the End of the Universe. Being a huge fan of the way Stephen Fry interprets Douglas Adams, I wasn't sure if I'd like Freeman's interpretation, but they're so different one can't really draw comparisons - while Fry is the master of silky smooth third person narration, Freeman is spectacularly good at voices. His ubercool Zaphod and deadpan Marvin are particularly brilliant.

Ooh, I'd love to hear both versions of this. Actually I'd like to hear anything Stephen Fry has done. I've heard nothing but good things about his audio books.

I forgot to mention some other book activity. Last night I couldn't sleep so I continued on with colour-coding my books. I've been doing a little of this every couple of weeks and I got fed up last night and just put them on the shelves (I had been trying to sort each colour from light to dark etc but it actually looks good when all the shades are together). I've still got the grey and black books to go, and then I need to slot in a whole lot of books I hadn't pre-sorted into colours. I'm kind of stuck though because I've ended with green and now have to make a jump to grey. sad.gif I hadn't thought of that problem when I started.

Nollaig, how did you like The Shadow of the Wind?

I've started reading Aftermath by Peter Robinson. He's a completely new name to me but so far the book's been really gripping, right from the get go.

I've finished the first two Harry Potter books and about 1/3 of the way through Prisoner of Azkaban.

Finally have a day to myself today so I'm writing a list of all of my books, in alphabetical order of the author. I decided to do this because I recently bought a book I already had and didn't even realise :lol: