Your Book Activity Today - Thread 12

Janet

Is it good?

I enjoyed it - I wasn't expecting a lot of the twists so that helped. I like a lot of Sparks books and thought this was one of the best, very complexed emotionally. Definately worth a read.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still no reading done (sigh)!!!

However had a veritable orgy of book buying in the charity shop :roll:

2x Charlaine Harris True Blood books

Don't Look Now & Other Stories Daphne Du Maurier

Sacred Hunger Barry Unsworth

The Sex Life of My Aunt Mavis Cheek

Once in a House On Fire Andrea Ashworth

Notes On A Scandal Zoe Heller

With Your Crooked Heart Helen Dunmore

The Lieutenant Kate Grenville

Gulag A History Anne Applebaum

If anyone has read any of these books i'd be interested to hear your opinions of them :lol:

I bought today ~

The Object Lesson by Edward Gorey

The Woman in Black by Susan Hill

:roll:

Finished Mephisto Club, really enjoyed it.

A girl at work has insisted I read one of her recommendations, Kathy Reichs-Deja Dead. I can't say I'm over keen but I'll give it a whirl.

I like a lot of Kathy Reichs books but I am wary of her last one as my friend said it was the weakest yet.

I am still part way through UnLundun and am loving it

Read the first of the YA series of Morganville Vampire books, Glass Houses, and I loved it! So glad I got the rest of the series cheaply yesterday, as I'm sure I'll be whizzing through them over the next few weeks :D Creepy, bad vampires in small town America, and after the ending of book one, I desperately want to know if what happens has actually happened! However, don't want to rush through them too quickly, so going to read something else before starting on book two.

'Planet of the Blind' by Stephen Kuusisto arrived for me. An impulse purchase, but one I am so looking forward to reading.

Does he have Finnish blood in him by any chance? The last name is Finnish :D

I'm over halfway through The Polysyllabic Spree by Nick Hornby. After reading other people's reviews I thought maybe I should read it in small doses, but I've been happy to read it straight through. It's very good so far, and much funnier than I expected. :D

I'm glad you're enjoying it. I'll be expecting to hear which books made it to your list on account of the book :D

I read on someone's blog that he has started writing for 'The Believer' again, I'm hoping for a second volume.

Here here!! :)

Got Karin Slaughter - Broken from my friend over the weekend, so I read 70 pages of that on the wat back home. Awesome read so far..... Of Course!:(

Broken?? Which novel is this? A new one I hope?

Not read anything today, but have been trying to choose maybe 3 books to take on my hols. Do I take some from my tbr pile I have listed on my reading blog thingy on here, or pick so others. Was maybe tempted to take The Notebook, not too long a read, maybe an Isla Dewar. Also picked up The Abortionist's Daughter.....oh decisions decision:readingtwo:

I'm glad you're enjoying it. I'll be expecting to hear which books made it to your list on account of the book :D

Prepare to be disappointed Frankie...I purposely didn't keep a record of the interesting books. He made lots of interesting observations about books, but I can't say that I desperately wanted to read any of the books he mentioned.

I had big plans for reading today but I keep falling asleep whenever I pick up my book. :(

Just finished Restless by William Boyd, and thoroughly enjoyed it, what a roller coaster! I have to read as many of his books as I am able now. :D

We couldn't resist purchasing David Mitchell's The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet tonight. I've read the first chapter already, and phew! Terrific!

Prepare to be disappointed Frankie...I purposely didn't keep a record of the interesting books. He made lots of interesting observations about books, but I can't say that I desperately wanted to read any of the books he mentioned.

I had big plans for reading today but I keep falling asleep whenever I pick up my book. :D

Nah, I'm not disappointed, I'm proud of the method you chose and that you've stuck to it :( Too bad you didn't get much reading done though :D

I've kept on going with Karen Harper, it's an interesting thriller about an Amish woman, I find the Amish ever so intriguing.

I am finally almost half way through Gone With The Wind. It's a bit long-winded, and I doubt I would read it again, but I am enjoying it.

I am finally almost half way through Gone With The Wind. It's a bit long-winded, and I doubt I would read it again, but I am enjoying it.

:D Did you mean to say that?

I have started, from a total random grab from the shelf, 'Fear The Worst' by Linwood Barclay. It should be a distrcting read for what has turned out to be a bit of a muddled week.

Well, that's Strange Days Indeed out of the way. OK-ish ... Francis Wheen's normally a witty writer, but this didn't have a great deal of spark for me. I've probably read so much 1970s history in my time that there are few surprises, but it's a reasonable enough read if you don't know the period too well and want a skim through some of the major political events, all bound together (in some places quite tenuously) by a thread of conspiracy.

What next? A nice slab of fiction, perhaps?