Your Book Activity Today - Thread 12

Janet

I read another Trixie Belden book over the weekend and have made steady progress with Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis and Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few chapters in to Haunted by Chuck Pahalniuk.

I hope there is some point to it all, and it's not just for shock value, because I am finding it difficult to suspend my disbelief. Frankly, it's not that shocking, either, but maybe that's because I fell for all the hype about this author. :D

I mean no offense to any fans of his here. You all may know something that I don't.

I have actually never heard of this author before coming on here and I have heard a few mixed reviews. Reading your post has got me looking on amazon and sounds like a book I must read just to see what all the hype and the totally differing mixed reviews that has been recieved is all about.

*edit* Just realised that he wrote the book for the film Fight club. I have not watched nor read Fight Club.

Do you or anyone else know if this is the best book to start off with? Thanks in advance.

CW.

Edited by catwoman
grammer spelling and all the other things I miss out.

Do you or anyone else know if this is the best book to start off with? Thanks in advance.

CW.

I am not an expert, as this is my first read by the author. However, I have heard from others that a good place to start would be Fight Club, Choke, or maybe Survivor.

Of course, typical of my rebellious behavior, I went with one that isn't as recommended. :D

Came home today with:

The Rabbit Factory by Marshall Karp - described by the blurb as " ...the Carl Hiaasen of Los Angeles", which is quite a lot to live up to

Acts of Violence by Ryan David Jahn - a fictional reworking of a real-life 60s murder case in New York

Brodeck's Report by Philippe Claudel - not normally a huge fan of fiction in translation, but I've heard good things about this book.

If anyone's read any of these, I'd be pleased to hear your views.

Just finished Midnight Alley and for the second book in a row, I've been left with a huge cliffhanger! Book four in the series is staring down at me from the shelf, so I guess I'm going to be making a start on that shortly :D

I read it at school for GCSE so I thought a re-read would be appropriate for its 50th anniversary! It will be interesting to see what I make of it especially reading it as an adult and by choice!

I read it during my GCSEs and thought it was good, but it was not until I read it again because I wanted to do I appreciate what an amzing book it was.

Hope you like it more the second time round.

Came home today with:

The Rabbit Factory by Marshall Karp - described by the blurb as " ...the Carl Hiaasen of Los Angeles", which is quite a lot to live up to

This is a fabulous read. I loved it and the two in the series after it as well.

I may have just created the world's littlest Pratchett fan! After his bath, I decided to read "Where's My Cow?" to Xan. He loved it so much he immediately shouted "Again! Again!" so I read it again and this time he joined in. He wanted it read again, so I read it as his bedtime story, by which time he was joining in with almost all of it! Of course, I may now have to put up with him shouting "Bugrit!" at awkward moments, but that's an allowance I'm willing to make in theline of Pratchettising him. :D

I finished Obsidian Butterfly last night so, after a better than I expected second half of the book, I moved straight on to the next in the series, Narcissus in Chains. :D

I finished Obsidian Butterfly last night so, after a better than I expected second half of the book, I moved straight on to the next in the series, Narcissus in Chains. :D

I've decided to read that one next too! Trying to get through my library books first, and this is one of them.

Charm would you mind telling me what they are about? I am far too lazy to find out myself tonight.

They're part of the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series, and they basically follow Anita's supernatural job of raising zombies, secondary job as vampire executioner, and her personal relationships. She sometimes works with the police as well, and each book is sort of a different case she helps to solve.

I've just finished Birdsong, wow what a fantastic read feel like i've been through the mill emotionally so i've decided to postpone my intended next book & go with another book of short stories by Dapne du Maurier called Don't Look Now & Other Stories. Don't know if anyone remembers the movie but the front cover has a very seventies looking picture of Julie Christie on it :D

Hit the halfway point in The Last Witchfinder this afternoon, about page 305. I think it could possibly rank as the most fascinating read I've ever encountered :D.

Time for a mini-cheer! Post number 5k, woo!

This is a fabulous read. I loved it and the two in the series after it as well.

I could have sworn I said "Thanks for this, Nicola, I look forward to reading it" last night, but I can't see it anywhere. I must be cracking up :D ....

So ... thanks for this, Nicola, I look forward to reading it.