What do you advise me?

Hello!

I am looking for a new book to read. I like books that are mysterious and especially those with a dark mood. I don't care if it's a thriller/horror/fantasy or a mix of them. I don't like detective stories or whodunits, not my kind of book:blush:. So if anyone knows a good book (no children books:p), that keeps you on the edge and keeps the mystery alive, please post them here. thank you :)

The Joker

First thing that sprang to my mind was What you make it by Michael Marshall Smith. It is a book of short stories but they all have a dark mood with aspects of horror and the surreal/fantasy. You read along thinking you know what may happen next but you really don't as things flip from the seemingly normal to the bizarre. I loved it so if you are a fan of short stories, some longer than others, I definitely recommend it!

The Devil In Me by Christopher Fowler is another collection of short stories which as a similar feel, 'Black comedy, high farce, dark revelations...mind blowing collection of immoral tales.'

Another brilliant book is Perdido Street Station by China Mieville, it is set in a fantasy/steampunk dirty city and has a very dark mood to it as well as keeping you on your toes.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you liked Neverwhere Joker, it's one of my favourites :D a very different book which had a very similar effect on me was Gregory Maguire's Wicked, an alternative look at the Wizard of Oz universe from the "baddie"'s point of view which I would unreservedly recommend to anyone.