What is a good way to browse?

Pixie

I am planning to go to the local used bookstore tomorrow. I have a $45 credit there. :lol:

Does anyone have suggestions on how to browse when I really don't have a particular book or author in mind?

I will be sure to check out the fantasy and sci-fi section, but it's huge.

Oh my, what a good question! To which I don't have a good answer, unfortunately. When I see an English lit section in a secondhand bookshop, I go through all the titles, but that might not be possible in a bookshop where there are English titles only :lol:

My method runs thus:

Scan the spines in the desired sections (in my case, Science Fiction & Fantasy first, then Horror, then Fiction, then Literature and Literary Criticism) for recommended authors and inspiring titles; pick the above off the shelf to evaluate the cover, inspect the blurb and read the "Praise for" bits at the beginning. Lastly, open somewhere down the middle and get a feel for the style.

If all of the above go well, take to the till :lol:!

Oh my, what a good question! To which I don't have a good answer, unfortunately. When I see an English lit section in a secondhand bookshop, I go through all the titles, but that might not be possible in a bookshop where there are English titles only :roll:

True. All the books at this store are English titles only, but there is a classics section which I may browse through. I already have a lot of the classics, though. Hmmm, might check for some Nabokov I don't already have, though.

My method runs thus:

Scan the spines in the desired sections (in my case, Science Fiction & Fantasy first, then Horror, then Fiction, then Literature and Literary Criticism) for recommended authors and inspiring titles; pick the above off the shelf to evaluate the cover, inspect the blurb and read the "Praise for" bits at the beginning. Lastly, open somewhere down the middle and get a feel for the style.

If all of the above go well, take to the till :lol:!

Hmmm, this method seems like it might work. :hide:

I don't have a lot of horror on my bookshelves, so that may be a section to check out as well. When I do read horror, I prefer it to be really creepy, rather than heavy on the hack and slash gore.

I agree with Giulia. Head straight for your favourite genres first. Maybe you'll find a title by an author you already like, or a book might jump out at you (not literally) that was recommended by somebody here. Have fun and be sure to tell us what you buy!

Hmmm, this method seems like it might work.
If browsing were a sport, I'd be a pro :lol:!

I don't have a lot of horror on my bookshelves, so that may be a section to check out as well. When I do read horror, I prefer it to be really creepy, rather than heavy on the hack and slash gore.
Ditto :roll: if you want to open a nice shiny new thread in the Looking for a Book section, I'm sure recommendations for really creepy fiction would pour right in.

What is a good way to browse?

Act nonchalant.

(but not too nonchalant, because you could be mistaken for a shop-lifter . . .).

Tip taken. :)

Maybe you'll find a title by an author you already like, or a book might jump out at you (not literally) that was recommended by somebody here. !

My god I wish that would happen. Randomly placed motion sensors hooked up to miniature catapult systems behind certain books. Amazing.

Oh, I love the way you think Noll! I'm trying to work out ways of incorporating that idea in my future bookcases. I know a good engineer who would probably love to try to rig something up. In fact, he's already working on a miniature catapult!