Books that made you...

Pixie

I had this list saved on my computer. I am not sure where it came from, but I thought it might be a fun thread.

1) One Book that made you read it More Than Once: The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

2) One book you would want on a desert island: A book on how to get off a desert island :lol:

3) One book that made you laugh: Still Life With Woodpecker by Tom Robbins

4) One book that made you cry: Emotional Geology by Linda Gillard

5) One book that made you wish you had written: Little, Big by John Crowley

6) One book that made you wish had never been written: The Dream Catcher by Stephen King

7) One book you are currently reading: An Evil Guest by Gene Wolfe

8) One book you have been meaning to read: The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

9) One book that changed your life: Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein

1) One Book that made you read it more than once: Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

2) One book you would want on a desert island: The Count Of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas, Pere

3) One book that made you laugh: Belgarath The Sorcerer by David & Leigh Eddings

4) One book that made you cry: Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens

5) One book that made you wish you had written: The Lord Of The Rings by J R R Tolkien

6) One book that made you wish had never been written: Eragon by Christopher Paolini

7) One book you are currently reading: Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens

8) One book you have been meaning to read: The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer

9) One book that changed your life: A Slave's Tale by Erik Christian Hauggard

1) One Book that made you read it More Than Once: The Stand by Stephen King

2) One book you would want on a desert island: Savages by Shirley Conran

3) One book that made you laugh: The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists by Gideon Defoe

4) One book that made you cry: My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Piccoult

5) One book that made you wish you had written: The entire Harry Potter series by J K Rowling (just coz I'd love the money she made from them!)

6) One book that made you wish had never been written: Any book by Gina Ford!

7) One book you are currently reading: Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett

8) One book you have been meaning to read: Vanity Fair by William Thackeray

9) One book that changed your life: French Women Don't Get Fat by Mireille Giulliano

1) One Book that made you read it More Than Once: Faerie Tale by Raymond E. Feist

2) One book you would want on a desert island: The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

3) One book that made you laugh: i am neurotic (and so are you) by Lianna King

4) One book that made you cry: A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

5) One book that made you wish you had written: A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami

6) One book that made you wish had never been written: Demonology by Rick Moody

7) One book you are currently reading: Watership Down by Richard Adams

8) One book you have been meaning to read: Middlemarch by George Eliot

9) One book that changed your life: And the Band Played On by Randy Shilts

1) One Book that made you read it More Than Once: Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier

2) One book you would want on a desert island: The Complete Works of William Shakespeare by Shakespeare!

3) One book that made you laugh: Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K Jerome

4) One book that made you cry: The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne

5) One book that made you wish you had written: A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

(I would have said Harry Potter but Kell beat me to it. :lol: )

6) One book that made you wish had never been written: The Catcher in the Rye by Salinger

7) One book you are currently reading: Keep the Aspidistra Flying by George Orwell

8) One book you have been meaning to read: Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

9) One book that changed your life: Othello by Shakespeare (I know this is a play, but I read it in GCSE English and it made me realise that I could, and should, broaden my reading horizons)

1) One Book that made you read it More Than Once: My Family and Other Animals by Gerald Durrell

2) One book you would want on a desert island: The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkein

3) One book that made you laugh: Down Under by Bill Bryson

4) One book that made you cry: Mister God This Is Anna by Fynn

5) One book that made you wish you had written: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

6) One book that made you wish had never been written: Lord of the Flies by William Golding

7) One book you are currently reading: Interview With The Vampire by Anne Rice

8) One book you have been meaning to read: Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

9) One book that changed your life: Black Like Me by John Howard Griffin

1) One Book that made you read it More Than Once: The whole Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris

2) One book you would want on a desert island: Harry Potter by JK Rowling

3) One book that made you laugh: The Sound of Laughter by Peter Kay

4) One book that made you cry: Marley and Me by John Grogan

5) One book that made you wish you had written: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

6) One book that made you wish had never been written: Carrie by Stephen King (just because I cannot get into it no matter how hard I try)

7) One book you are currently reading: Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (haven't managed to get through it yet).

8) One book you have been meaning to read: Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell.

9) One book that changed your life: Matilda by Roald Dahl, which is the first book I can remember reading so it started me on my long journey :lol:

For extra added fun, I'll be compiling my list excluding books that I'd have liked to include but have already been mentioned :lol::

1) One Book that made you read it More Than Once: The P

Edited by BookJumper

For extra added fun, I'll be compiling my list excluding books that I'd have liked to include but have already been mentioned :lol::

Good idea.

It also would be fun if those who have already given their selections would like to post again with different selections. I am sure we all have more than one book that fit these categories. :friends0:

Later on, if the same books keep popping their pretty little heads into this thread, I might be forced to read them. (I knew there must have been a selfish motivation for starting this thread.:hide::roll:)

It would also be fun if anyone wants to give reasons for their choices, as I see some of you have already done.

1) One Book that made you read it More Than Once: The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, Ellis Peters (any one of them)

2) One book you would want on a desert island: The Complete Sherlock Holmes

3) One book that made you laugh: Wilt by Tom Sharpe

4) One book that made you cry: Gulag Archipelago, Solzhenitsyn

5) One book that made you wish you had written: Rebecca, Du Maurier

6) One book that made you wish had never been written: Sword of God, Kuznetski

7) One book you are currently reading: Pardonable Lies, Jaqueline Winspear

8) One book you have been meaning to read: To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee

9) One book that changed your life: The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael as it started me on my love of medieval history.

9) One book that changed your life: Join Me! The True Story of a Man Who Started a Cult by Accident by Danny Wallace - I might never have met some of my best friends if Danny hadn't inspired us all to gather in strategic spots and perform Random Acts of Kindness on the unsuspecting British public.

I loved this book too (along with all of Danny's other books). I, of course, am a fellow Joinee. :lol:

1) One Book that made you read it More Than Once: The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

2) One book you would want on a desert island: Dear John by Nicholas Sparks - for comfort, it's one of my favourites.

3) One book that made you laugh: Yes Man by Danny Wallace

4) One book that made you cry: Good Wives by Louisa May Alcott - Jo's poem gets me every time!

5) One book that made you wish you had written: Twilight by Stephenie Meyer - not the best book in the world but she's making millions from a not particularly orginal idea!

6) One book that made you wish had never been written: Secret Life of a Slummy Mummy - no idea who it's by - I can't stand this type of rubbish!

7) One book you are currently reading: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

8) One book you have been meaning to read: The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon - it's been on my TBR for months!

9) One book that changed your life: Little Women by Louisa May Alcott - my all-time favourite. I re-read it so much that I keep havng to buy new copies when the pages fall out!

1) One Book that made you read it More Than Once: Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes

2) One book you would want on a desert island: Complete Works of Elizabeth Barrett Browning

3) One book that made you laugh: Chelsea Chelsea Bang Bang by Chelsea Handler

4) One book that made you cry: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

5) One book that made you wish you had written: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

6) One book that made you wish had never been written: Anything by Nora Roberts

7) One book you are currently reading: City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

8) One book you have been meaning to read: Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs

9) One book that changed your life: Night by Elie Wiesel

1. One book that made you read it more than once: Mapp and Lucia by E. F. Benson - so quintessentially English, beautifully written, wickedly observed.

2. One book you would want on a desert island: The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer :) - I know, I know, but there's something about the story that completely captivates me every time I read it, and I get so engrossed I forget to stop for meals, so I figure on a desert island with limited foodstuffs, at least I wouldn't worry about feeling hungry if I had these to read!

3. One book that made you laugh: The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde - laugh out loud funny, I'd never read anything like it before and remains one of my favourites, and, one of the reasons I joined BCF to be able to discuss it!

4. One book that made you cry: The Ripening Sun by Patricia Atkinson - I got so caught up in the lives of Patricia and her closest friends, and the unexpected turn of events at the end made me sob for quite a while as I was finishing the book.

5. One book that made you wish you had written: Persuasion by Jane Austen - nothing more I can say, the question says it all.

6. One book that made you wish had never been written: Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis De Berni

1) One Book that made you read it More Than Once: The Time Traveler's Wife, Audrey Niffenger

2) One book you would want on a desert island: 101 ways to cook a coconut :)

3) One book that made you laugh: This Charming Man, Marian Keyes

4) One book that made you cry: My Sister's Keeper, Jodi Picoult

5) One book that made you wish you had written: P.S. I love you, Cecilia Ahern

6) One book that made you wish had never been written: The Book of Tomorrow, Cecilia Ahern

7) One book you are currently reading: Forever Friends, Kate McCabe

8) One book you have been meaning to read: The Count of Monte Cristo, Alexandre Dumas

9) One book that changed your life: Wuthering Heights, Emily Bronte

Edited by Nicola Booth
Had to fill out question 9

1) One Book that made you read it More Than Once: The Time Travelers Wife Audrey Niffenegger

2) One book you would want on a desert island: Twilight Stephenie Meyer

3) One book that made you laugh: Samantha Smythe's Modern Family Journal Lucy Cavendish

4) One book that made you cry:The Road Cormack McCarthy

5) One book that made you wish you had written: All the Twilight books as I would be rich

6) One book that made you wish had never been written: No answer to this

7) One book you are currently reading: The Road Justin Cronin

8) One book you have been meaning to read. The Great Gatsby F Scott Fitzgerald

9) One book that changed your life: Little Women Louisa May Alcott

1) One Book that made you read it More Than Once: A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens

2) One book you would want on a desert island: One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez (I could really study it then)

3) One book that made you laugh: Gold - Dan Rhodes

4) One book that made you cry: The Book Thief - Markus Zusak (incredibly moving .. I've re-read it and it still makes me cry)

5) One book that made you wish you had written: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell - Susanna Clarke (if only I could write a book like this *sighs*)

6) One book that made you wish had never been written: The Book of Dave - Will Self (made my head crumble like a meringue)

7) One book you are currently reading: Buddha Da - Anne Donovan

8) One book you have been meaning to read: A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens

9) One book that changed your life: Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen (I was allergic to reading the classics until Jane)

1) One Book that made you read it More Than Once: Jane EyreHarlotte Bronte

2) One book you would want on a desert island: The Complete Sherlock Holmes series (I could get the end and start again)

3) One book that made you laugh: Skullduggery Pleasant series by Derek Landy

4) One book that made you cry: The Book Thief

5) One book that made you wish you had written: Lord of the Rings

6) One book that made you wish had never been written: Potrait of a Lady Henry James soooooooo boring

7) One book you are currently reading: The Hobbit

8) One book you have been meaning to read.

9) One book that changed your life: Lord of the Rings it inspired a passion for fantasy

6) One book that made you wish had never been written: Potrait of a Lady Henry James soooooooo boring

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds Henry James mind-numbingly dull!

I'm also glad to see your enthusiasm for Tolkien. :)

1) One book that made you read it more than once: Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden

2) One book you would want on a desert island: The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. It's long and endlessly entertaining.

3) One book that made you laugh: A Steroid Hit the Earth by Martin Toseland

4) One book that made you cry: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

5) One book that made you wish you had written: The Harry Potter series. I think it would actually be achievable for me to write and I would love to be responsible for getting so many people into reading. (Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov is a close runner-up for the sheer brilliance of the writing.)

6) One book that made you wish had never been written: The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

7) One book you are currently reading: Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis

8) One book you have been meaning to read: War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

9) One book that changed your life: I'm not sure that I've read a life-changing book yet. :)

1) One Book that made you read it More Than Once: ABC murders by Agatha Christie

2) One book you would want on a desert island: Seacrow Island by Astrid Lindgren.

3) One book that made you laugh: Riotous Assembly by Tom Sharpe.

4) One book that made you cry: I have not read such a book - yet!

5) One book that made you wish you had written: Gone with the wind by Margaret Mitchell OR Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen.

6) One book that made you wish had never been written: Someone extremely pointless and shallow, like an autobiography by some heiress or reality show bimbo. All other books at least serve SOME purpose, even if it

1) One Book that made you read it More Than Once: Ulysses by James Joyce

2) One book you would want on a desert island: Northern Lights by Philip Pullman

3) One book that made you laugh: Night Watch by Terry Pratchett

4) One book that made you cry: Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

5) One book that made you wish you had written: Villette by Charlotte Bronte

6) One book that made you wish had never been written: Doors Open by Ian Rankin

7) One book you are currently reading: The Tenant of Wildfell Hall by Anne Bronte

8) One book you have been meaning to read: The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

9) One book that changed your life: Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

1) One Book that made you read it more Than Once: Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy

2) One book you would want on a desert island: The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl

3) One book that made you laugh: How to Lose Friends and Alienate People by Toby Young

4) One book that made you cry: Ordinary People by Judith Guest

5) One book that made you wish you had written: The Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears

6) One book that made you wish had never been written: The Third Secret by Steve Berry

7) One book you are currently reading: The Last Witchfinder by James Morrow

8) One book you have been meaning to read: Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke

9) One book that changed your life: The Art Spirit by Robert Henri

1) One Book that made you read it More Than Once: Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. Had to read it over and over, to really get the layering and understanding of the story[ies].

2) One book you would want on a desert island: A comprehensive dictionary. Then I'd never be bored, and could make up my own stories, or poems around the definitions. :)

3) One book that made you laugh: Look at the Harlequins! by Vladimir Nabokov. If you've read most of VN, the allusions and references are hilarious.

4) One book that made you cry: The Merlin Trilogy by Mary Stewart. The story of Merlin and Arthur is a beautiful "father/son" epic.

5) One book that made you wish you had written: :DONE? Ok, maybe the first then...Watcher in the Shadows by Geoffry Household.

6) One book that made you wish had never been written: The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon. IMO awful writing.

7) One book you are currently reading: The Blue Afternoon by William Boyd

9) One book that changed your life: A Pillar of Iron by Taylor Caldwell. Mostly because it cemented my love of history. I was 15 when I read it, the first time, and that is such an impressionable age it really sunk into my mind.