Holiday Food Dishes

With today being Independence day here in the US I found myself curious at what traditions and dishes other people tend to break out on the most anticipated culinary dates of the year.

*** Note, this thread isn't just for the 4th, all holidays are welcome to be discussed. :blush:

For my family the 4th of July HAS to be celebrated with hamburgers, hot dogs and steak. Without those, it simply isn't the 4th.

Probably my favorite food for today are the fruit kabobs. They're really cute and keep your hands clean and sticky free while roaming about with sparklers and fireworks. :roll:

What are your favorite holiday foods and/or traditions?

Most of my foodie traditions are for Christmas - steeping the fruit in alcohol before baking the cakes and icing them, making mince pies, the big roast dinner on Christmas Day and a few days of bubble and squeak leftovers!

The only other tradition, is not really a holiday tradition, but on my birthday, we always have pizza! My favourite food, and an essential part of my birthday.

We always have a fry up on Boxing day morning it's like a family tradition we don't have cooked breakfasts much through out the year so it always feels really special:)

Not unlike Bridget Jones' parents, Boxing Day is turkey curry day on our house. I pop all the bits in the slow cooker first thing in the morning and it's ready for dinner with minimal effort. I make enough that there are several portions to put in the freezer too, to save me cooking meals on other days. :D

I don't think you can beat a traditional Turkey Dinner on Christmas Day! Yum!

Yup agreed!

Boxing day is always nibbles for us as we mooch around the sales and are too tired to cook anything major when we get home!

Yup agreed!

Boxing day is always nibbles for us as we mooch around the sales and are too tired to cook anything major when we get home!

hmmmm bubble and squeak on boxing day the only time i like sprouts :D

Boxing Day sounds like fun! I wish we had one of those :D Thanksgiving is the ultimate 'food' holiday here. My grandma and aunts would do everything you could think- 20 lb turkey, ham, green bean casserole, scalloped corn, mashed potatoes and gravy, veggies, tons of pie and fruity salads with whipped cream and pudding, tiger meat, rocky mountain oysters and of course finger snacks for in between (cheese, crackers and salami).

Out of all that food I would go straight for the black olives. Nothing mattered to me but them :D

Because it's summer here at Christmas we tend to have lots of cold salads and desserts along with the roast turkey/ham etc. We always have pavlova which is a NZ/Aussie thing.

At Easter I always make home-made hot cross buns.

Similar to Poppy, we have cold meals over here. Cold ham and chicken and salads. Seafood is a big thing in Australia for Christmas Day, but we don't usually bother (the crowds trying to buy seafood are just ridiculous).

Wow, I don't even like to buy seafood here because I think it's expensive. I'd hate to see it in NZ! I would like to buy fresh fish occasionally to cook but it's a bit expensive. So I buy microwave stuff instead, but I'm not sure it works out much cheaper. :D

• 4 months later...

This date cake means Christmas to me. I just made one.

Ingredients

1,5 dl water

1 package dates

200 gr butter or margarine

1,5 dl sugar

2 eggs

3 dl flour

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

2 tsp vanilla sugar

(a little cold coffee)

Boil water, dates and butter until it becomes a purée. Set aside to cool for a while.

Whisk the sugar and the eggs until creamy.

Mix flour with baking powder, soda and vanilla sugar.

Mix the date purée, the flour mix and the creamy sugar-and-egg (and the coffee) together.

Butter a ring cake tin (1,5 liter), spoon the mixture into a tin and bake at 175 degrees Celsius for approximately 1 hour (or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean).

.Serving suggestion

Serve Date Cake at Christmas time with a cup of coffee or tea.

Edited by SaraPepparkaka