Went into a book shop and didn't buy anything, can you do that?!

Inver

Hubby had some Waterstones gift cards to spend and with the holidays coming up needs some reading material to take with him. He managed to get his 3 for 2 (but managed 4 as one of the offers had two books together). It only took him about 5 minutes. I was impressed I had a look , saw a couple I may have bought, but restrained myself and came away with nothing. I did write a couple of titles down though.

So have you gone in to a bookshop browsed and managed not to purchase anything or does impulse and necessity take over?:blush:

Edited by Inver

Today thats exactly what I did, I saw a couple of things I wanted to get the New John Connolly but came away with nothing, right now though I wish I had given into temptation.

I have a clinical diagnosis of libre purchasica, which basically precludes any possible idea of walking into a bookshop and leaving it weighing the same. The only way I can not buy a book from a bookshop is by not going into the blessed shop in the first place. :blush:

The only way I can not buy a book from a bookshop is by not going into the blessed shop in the first place. :blush:

I'm with Mac on this one.

I can do it quite easily. Books are so expensive here that I always convince myself to wait and order it online or look for it secondhand at a bookfair. If I had endless amounts of money, however...:blush:

Yes, recently i have just been in bookshops to browse and then walk away with nothing- my TBR list is fairly high so i dont want to add to it even more as i only read one book at a time. I used to buy a book every single time i went onto The Book Centre but i usually either regretted the purchase afterwards or else spent so long getting aroound to reading it that the novelty has worn off. Its a serios waste of money,too- buying books on impulse.

Im trying to trim down my TBR list before i purchase more books.:blush:

Up until about a year and a half ago I couldn't walk into a bookshop or anywhere else that sold books (supermarkets/post offices/charity shops/car boots etc etc) without buying at least one book. But since my mojo has fallen out with me I can walk in, browse and not buy anything, apart from the last visit to Waterstones when I bought 3! I daren't count my TBR pile :blush:

Easily. I don't have the money to buy something everytime I enter a bookshop, in fact that's a reason why i don't go into a bookshop most of the time if I don't have the money for it.

Now if I were rich, that's a whole different matter, then I could always buy something.

I have a clinical diagnosis of libre purchasica, which basically precludes any possible idea of walking into a bookshop and leaving it weighing the same.
Thank you, my friend :blush: a diagnosis, after all these years! Not that I'm looking for a cure, you understand, but it's always good to know what one is "suffering" (notice the inverted commas) from.
I can't remember last walking into a bookshop and not coming out with a book or fourteen. I call that my method to find immortality.
Who wants to live forever? We do, so we can read every decent book ever written!

Yes I can, but it's not big and it's not clever. It's very disappointing behaviour.
Well said :roll:!

Only if i have the children with me then i don't get sufficient browsing time & i don't like to make a hurried purchase that i might regret later.

Edited by Kidsmum
spelling mistake

I can, brand new books are expensive and I've usually got a couple of books waiting in the wings. I still enjoy browsing in bookshops and often look authors up online when I get back home.

It's harder to walk away when I'm in charity shops though, I'll usually come away with something then!

I usually buy the latest paperbacks from Tesco so only occasionally go in actual book shops like Waterstones.

If i do though i always buy 2 or 3 books,which is why i don't go in there much as my TBR pile is around 15 to 20 high.

When i get it down i shall enter Waterstones again .:blush:

Edited by BookJumper

I DID IT!!!

Today I walked into a book shop with my cousin who told me she'd buy me any book I wanted. She tempted me by waving a book I've been looking for the entire last year and I REFUSED!!!

(Feels really bad about it for some reason)

Nope... can't do it... :blush:

When I walk into a bookstore I see a bunch of little animals all waiting for adoption and I happen to have the fee to help them be liberated from their captivity, so why wouldn't I help save one (or two or eight)? :roll:

I am always going into bookshops to browse and very rarely buy. If I see a book that i like I usually go and order it from the library, if i had more pennies then i would buy them

I often go into bookshops and come out empty-handed. I can't afford to buy a book each time I visit.

I've taken to taking a photograph on my mobile phone of anything I like the look of - and then I add it to my Amazon wishlist when I get home! :D

It's very difficult to do I must say. I must sub-consciously put my book-magnet shoes on when I go out as they just gravitate towards the shop. My husband notices the sudden change of direction and says "step away from the bookshop!!! It works sometimes.:D

It has been known, but if I go in to buy something for someone else I usually come out with a little something for myself.

Its much tougher when the supermarket has deals on. I can always justify a bargain....especially when its the same price as a magazine.

:D

So have you gone in to a bookshop browsed and managed not to purchase anything or does impulse and necessity take over?:D

I'm not sure it's actually legal to leave a bookshop without a new book, is it? :D

Actually, re-reading my post above didn't really answer the question!:D

If I have actually made it into the bookshop, I quite often don't buy the books, I make a note of them and check out prices on Amazon, or I go to Sussex Stationers to see if it is cheaper there (usually is).