The Boy With The Topknot by Sathnam Sanghera

vodkafan

Hi i just finished reading this today.. It is written by a Sikh journalist looking back on his childhood growing up in Wolverhampton. I guess you could put this into the category of "culture-clash" biography. My wife is also Punjabi Sikh and a lot of his early experiences she also went through.

He was in his twenties, outwardly successful but unhappily living a double life in London having white girlfriends which he could not tell his mum about.

he decides to write her a letter....but then discovers his family has a secret so devastating that he cannot face it for five years....this book is his catharsis and his family's redemption.

There should be more books like this. In spite of the subject matter it is full of humour. Anybody who is part of an Indian family (even by marriage) will love this book.

I picked this up in Waterstone's a few weeks back, but put it down as it wasn't part of their 3 for 2 offer and I wanted to make the most of my birthday money. Sounds like I made a mistake doing that! :D

ETA: I'm not part of an Indian family, but it just sounded so good. ;)