To Live Forever- Jack Vance

vodkafan

At the moment I am collecting all the Jack Vance books again that I read years ago but this was one of the few that I had never read .

It is set in the far future. Science has discovered immortality but they cannot give it to everybody because of population pressures. So it has to be earned with a lifetime of acheivements, and only a small elite gain the coveted prize. The Jacynth Martin is one who has earned this right. Her aged mind has been reborn into a new, beautiful 19 year old body.

However, she accidentally uncovers the true identity of Gavin Waylock, criminal: a murderer who will stop at nothing to cheat his way to eternal life.

It is then a dangerous game of cat and mouse, as both become obsessed with the other. Who will win? And, more importantly, who is right if society itself is immoral? I really enjoyed this book and could not put it down.

:D

That sounds really interesting Vodkafan. Can you recommend some of your favourite Jack Vance books? I have Emphyrio on my TBR pile.

My pleasure Kylie! Emphyrio is OK but not my favourite.

If you want a stand alone Vance book I would say my favourites are The Blue World *,

The Dragon Masters, Slaves of The Klau*, Showboat World or The Languages of Pao. (In that order)

The Lyonesse trilogy is his fantasy masterpiece, I wrote a little about that in my reading blog.

Planet Of Adventure* is more scifi, that is actually 4 books but they are quite short even if you buy the version all together it is not too long a read.

The Dying Earth series are also very good, and doesn't matter what order you read them in.

*= means the story has a subtle romance included.

Hope this helps!

The Dying Earth series are also very good, and doesn't matter what order you read them in.

I got the Fantasy Masterworks edition of this. If I enjoy it and have to go and buy the other books you mentioned above I will blame you :D

• 7 months later...

I got the Fantasy Masterworks edition of this. If I enjoy it and have to go and buy the other books you mentioned above I will blame you :D

haha I make no apologies for bumping this thread back up. Kasa did you read The Dying Earth yet? And you Kylie did you get around to Emphryrio?

Ooooh! I really like the sound of this one. As you know, I loved Vance's style from The Dying Earth; this one sounds like way, way more my thing thematically so I shall keep my eyes well peeled for it :) thanks for the heads up.

Ooooh! I really like the sound of this one. As you know, I loved Vance's style from The Dying Earth; this one sounds like way, way more my thing thematically so I shall keep my eyes well peeled for it :) thanks for the heads up.

Jack Vance books are hard to find Giulia. I can send it to you if you want?