� Poems and Short Stories - Tolkien

Death of a Salesman - Arthur Miller

KEY

Currently Reading

■ Re-attempt

■ Re-read

■ Read

Edited by Nienna

The only two on your classics list that I have read are Anna Karenina and Madame Bovary, but I have Crime and Punishment, The Count of Monte Cristo, and Ulysses on the shelf waiting to be read. And quite a few of the others are books I would like to read! :lol:

Ooh, you have some great books there Nienna and others that I also have on my TBR pile. I'll be interested in your thoughts on The Thirty-Nine Steps, which I wasn't all that impressed with.

The Thirty-Nine Steps

Tom Buchan

330.jpgThirty-Nine-Steps-broadway.jpg

Plot:

In May 1914, Europe is close to war and spies are everywhere. Richard Hannay has just returned to London from Rhodesia in order to begin a new life, when a freelance spy called Franklin P. Scudder calls on him to ask for help. Scudder reveals to Hannay that he has uncovered a German plot to murder the Greek Premier and steal British plans for the outbreak of war. Scudder claims to be following a ring of German spies called the Black Stone. A few days later, Hannay returns to his flat to find Scudder murdered. If Hannay goes to the police, he will be arrested for Scudder

Edited by Nienna

I forgot about the explosives. :tong: I think the most unbelievable moment for me was when he was running across the moors or something, a million miles from anywhere, and he happened to bump into someone he knew. :blush:

I suppose it would have been good for its time - I believe it was one of the first of its type. But I think it has certainly dated.

:blush:

Yes Kylie, I think dated is the word! I imagine it was an exciting book back in 1915 - something like what James Bond is now. Credit for being the first "man-on-the-run" novel!

• 1 month later...

A Game of Thrones

George RR Martin

agameofthrones.jpg

Plot:

After 15 years of apparent peace since Robert Baratheon took the throne of the Seven kingdoms from Aerys Targaryen (The Mad King), the new king's hand has been murdered. Meanwhile, across the narrow sea, Aerys' surviving son and daughter live in poverty, but with plans to return to the Kingdoms and win back the throne. Turmoil, slaughter and treachery wreath the setting of the first installment of Martin's saga, A Song of Ice and Fire.

Review:

Not knowing what to expect from A Game of Thrones, I took it for a traditional elves and dragons fantasy. Whilst I got half of this, I was left surprised, too - not at the setting (your average medieval-esque fantasy Europe), but at the strength and uniqueness of the characters. Martin attempts to tear down all our notions of idyllic fantasy, where, in the end, good triumphs over evil and peace resumes. His purpose (or what I perceived it to be) is to play out what might really happen, given mans inherent shortcomings, in the war for a throne. Some of the scenes seem to be written with the purpose of making us cringe or gasp - to remind us of the capabilities of a man or woman after power. There are plenty of twists, and the book never relents in its excitement. Martin keeps throwing our expectations back in our faces. There is

incestuous sex, the betrayal of friends, ruined promises and even the death of a main character.

Nothing is to be taken for granted in this book. For sheer swear-worthy drama and the noble intention of portraying man and woman as he/she really would be with the snake dangling the apple in front of his or her face, I rate this novel:

4/5

The 1 point was deducted for his reliance on characters to distract from a basically copy-cat fantasy world, and the fact that the book can't really be read as a stand-alone in the series.

Edited by Nienna