"Eleven Minutes Late" by Matthew Engel

chesilbeach

Britain gave railways to the world, yet its own network is the dearest (definitely) and the worst (probably) in Western Europe. Trains are deeply embedded in the national psyche and folklore - yet it is considered uncool to care about them. For Matthew Engel, the railway system is the ultimate expression of Britishness. It represents all the nation's ingenuity, incompetence, nostalgia, corruption, humour, capacity for suffering and even sexual repression. To uncover its mysteries, Engel has travelled the system from Penzance to Thurso, exploring its history and talking to people from politicians to platform staff. Along the way Engel ('half-John Betjeman, half-Victor Meldrew') finds the most charmingly bizarre train in Britain, the most beautiful branch line, the rudest railwayman, and - after a quest lasting decades - an Individual Pot of Strawberry Jam. "Eleven Minutes Late" is both a polemic and a paean, and it is also very funny.

Review:

I had really high hopes for this book - a mixture of train travel, quirky characters and the nostalgia of the railways as a British institution. A promising start gave me everything I was looking for, but unfortunately, it didn't last.

After a few chapters, the narrative took a must stronger turn towards this history of the railways and diverted away from the people and places of the journey. I stuck with it, but it gradually got drier and drier, and I actually ended up putting it down for three months.

I eventually decided I wanted to finish it, and starting it again, the history continued for quite a while, but the last couple of chapters looking more at the state of the railway today along with the conclusion of the authors journey, made me glad I made the decision to continue.

I liked the authors writing style, it was just the depth of railway history that I found hard to take, as the blurb did not reflect the content making me feel a bit cheated. I would have been much happier to have read a book that concentrated mainly on the story of the journey with a bit of history thrown in, but I got the reverse felt which was rather dry and lacking in character.

Goodness, I very nearly picked this for my next 'bookworms' choice - I'm so glad I didn't now!

I really want to choose a non-fiction for us at some stage, but it's really difficult to know what. I'll have to start a thread for suggestions next time it's my turn!

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it - from the blurb it did sound good - but I really trust your review so I shall give it a miss. Thanks. :lol:

I think if you're interested in the history of the railways, then it would be fascinating. I did like his writing style, and the first 50 and last 50 pages were good, but it just wasn't what I thought I was getting from the blurb.

I'll have a think about other non-fiction books I've enjoyed which might be more suitable for when you ask for suggestions :lol:

I've got this book in the pile. I'm interested in the history of the railways (but I'm not - repeat not - a trainspotter :blush:), and Matthew Engel's a terrific writer, judging by his cricket work. But I must confess I really bought it to savour his encounter with the buffet attendant ...

Still looking forward to it, though.