bookworm44's 2010 Reading List

bookworm44

Below are the books I've read in 2010.

~ Books I've read are rated out of five.

~ Books I re-read are marked (RR)

~ Books I read for the Rory Gilmore Challenge are in pink.

My Rating System

1 - Awful! If I didn't have such respect for books, I'd have thrown it at the wall!

2 - Annoying. Wouldn't recommend this.

3 - Average. Didn't sway me one way or another.

4 - Enjoyable. Would definitely recommend it to others.

5 - Excellent! Didn't want to put it down!

Books Read in 2010:

Summer

Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog by John Grogan 4/5

Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates 4/5

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell 5/5

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath 4/5

The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom 5/5

The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy 2/5

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky 4/5

Fall

Early Winter

Edited by bookworm44

Currently Reading:

ToKillaMockingbird.jpg

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Synopsis:

"Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."

A lawyer's advice to his children as he defends the real mockingbird of Harper Lee's classic novel—a black man charged with the rape of a white girl. Through the young eyes of Scout and Jem Finch, Harper Lee explores with rich humor and unswerving honesty the irrationality of adult attitudes toward race and class in the Deep South of the 1930s. The conscience of a town steeped in prejudice, violence, and hypocrisy is pricked by the stamina and quiet heroism of one man's struggle for justice—but the weight of history will only tolerate so much.

One of the best-loved classics of all time, To Kill a Mockingbird has earned many dis-tinctions since its original publication in 1960. It has won the Pulitzer Prize, been translated into more than forty languages, sold more than forty million copies worldwide, and been made into an enormously popular movie. It was also named the best novel of the twentieth century by librarians across the country (Library Journal).

Courtesy of barnesandnoble.com

Edited by bookworm44

• 4 weeks later...

MarleyandMe.jpg

Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog by John Grogan

Synopsis:

John and Jenny were just beginning their life together. They were young and in love, with a perfect little house and not a care in the world. Then they brought home Marley, a wriggly yellow furball of a puppy. Life would never be the same.

Marley quickly grew into a barreling, ninety-seven-pound streamroller of a Labrador retriever. He crashed through screen doors, gouged through drywall, and stole women's undergarments. Obedience school did no good — Marley was expelled.

And yet his heart was pure. Just as Marley joyfully refused any limits on his behavior, his love and loyalty were boundless, too. A dog like no other, Marley remained steadfast, a model of devotion, even when his family was at its wit's end. Unconditional love, they would learn, comes in many forms.

Review:

This was such a sweet and funny book! I knew I’d probably enjoy this book because I love dogs, but I wasn’t expecting to be so touched by a simple story of a family and they’re pet dog. However, the story of the Grogan family’s love for Marley and the love that Marley had for them was so sweetly told that it completely won me over. Some of Marley’s antics had me laughing out loud and by the end I was sobbing right along with the Grogan family. I would definitely recommend Marley & Me to anyone who was looking for a light read that’s fun, sweet, and filled with lots of laughs. 4/5!

Edited by bookworm44

• 2 weeks later...

RevolutionaryRoad-1.jpg

Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates

Synopsis:

In the hopeful 1950s, Frank and April Wheeler appear to be a model couple: bright, beautiful, talented, with two young children and a starter home in the suburbs. Perhaps they married too young and started a family too early. Maybe Frank's job is dull. And April never saw herself as a housewife. Yet they have always lived on the assumption that greatness is only just around the corner. But now that certainty is about to crumble.

With heartbreaking compassion and remorseless clarity, Richard Yates shows how Frank and April mortgage their spiritual birthright, betraying not only each other, but their best selves.

Review:

I found Revolutionary Road to be boring at times and just plain depressing! Had this book not been so well written I would have never made it past the first 100 pages. I�m rating this book 4/5 because I did enjoy Yates� writing style, and I would recommend it to the right person.

Edited by bookworm44

Bookworm, since you love dogs I would definitely recommend reading The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein. It's a novel about Enzo, one of the most wisest dogs I've ever come across with, and his journey in life with his family. It's written from Enzo's point of view. Here's a link to the thread, I read Ruth's amazing review about it and just had to buy and read the book and I really truly loved it! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

GonewiththeWindjpd.jpg

Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Synopsis:

Margaret Mitchell's epic novel of love and war won the Pulitzer Prize and went on to give rise two authorized sequels and one of the most popular and celebrated movies of all time.

Many novels have been written about the Civil War and its aftermath. None take us into the burning fields and cities of the American South as Gone with the Wind does, creating haunting scenes and thrilling portraits of characters so vivid that we remember their words and feel their fear and hunger for the rest of our lives.

In the two main characters, the white-shouldered, irresistible Scarlett and the flashy, contemptuous Rhett, Margaret Mitchell not only conveyed a timeless story of survival under the harshest of circumstances, she also created two of the most famous lovers in the English-speaking word since Romeo and Juliet.

Review:

I can’t believe I waited so long to read this book! I’m definitely giving Gone with the Wind a 5/5 as it is now my favorite book of all time! If you haven’t read this book, you’re really missing out on a fantastic read! Yes, the book is long (a little over a 1,000 pages), but the story is so captivating that you’ll hardly even notice. I highly recommend it to anyone, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Edited by bookworm44

GWTW is one of the books that I get told I have to read. I go to pick it up and think Crikey, there is no way I can read a book that big when, honestly, I have no actual interest to read the book other than I have heard good recommendations for it. I will read it one day, maybe when I'm retired and I have the time again to just read, read, read.

GWTW is one of those books I really feel I should read. I think I'll definitely have to add it to the list now!

I hope you enjoy it! =)

GWTW is one of the books that I get told I have to read. I go to pick it up and think Crikey, there is no way I can read a book that big when, honestly, I have no actual interest to read the book other than I have heard good recommendations for it. I will read it one day, maybe when I'm retired and I have the time again to just read, read, read.

Don't put it off! Yes, it’s a big book, but you'll hardly notice it because the story is so good.

TheBellJar.jpg

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

Synopsis:

The Bell Jar chronicles the crack-up of Esther Greenwood: brilliant, beautiful, enormously talented, and successful, but slowly going under -- maybe for the last time. Sylvia Plath masterfully draws the reader into Esther's breakdown with such intensity that Esther's insanity becomes completely real and even rational, as probable and accessible an experience as going to the movies. Such deep penetration into the dark and harrowing corners of the psyche is an extraordinary accomplishment and has made The Bell Jar a haunting American classic.

Review:

The Bell Jar was a very interesting read. A little slow to start, but once I got into it I didn’t want to put it down. I found it to be enjoyable and depressing at the same time. Plath did an amazing job of making you feel exactly how Esther was feeling, which at times made the book a little to real for me. Her writing left me with goose bumps several times. I’m giving The Bell Jar a 4/5 and I would recommend it to anyone who was looking for a quick good read.

thefivepeopleyoumeetinheaven.jpg

The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom

Synopsis:

From the author of the number one New York Times bestseller Tuesdays with Morrie comes this long-awaited follow-up.

Eddie is a wounded war veteran, an old man who has lived, in his mind, an uninspired life. His job is fixing rides at a seaside amusement park. On his 83rd birthday, a tragic accident kills him as he tries to save a little girl from a falling cart. He awakes in the afterlife, where he learns that heaven is not a destination. It s a place where your life is explained to you by five people, some of whom you knew, others who may have been strangers. One by one, from childhood to soldier to old age, Eddie s five people revisit their connections to him on earth, illuminating the mysteries of his meaningless life, and revealing the haunting secret behind the eternal question: Why was I here?

A moving and profound contemporary fable, The Five People You Meet in Heaven is an important reminder of the interconnectedness of us all.

Review:

I’m giving The Five People You Meet in Heaven a 5/5 and I highly recommend it to everyone! This little book touched me more than I ever imagined it could. This is definitely a story I won’t soon forget.

• 2 weeks later...

ThePrinceofTides.jpg

The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy

Synopsis:

Tom Wingo, a middle-aged high school football coach and English teacher, is summoned from his home in Charleston, South Carolina to New York City to attend to his twin sister Savannah, who has remained comatose since attempting suicide. Savannah's psychiatrist, Susan Lowenstein, wants Tom to fill in many of the details in Savannah's upbringing. As Tom tells the Wingo story to Susan, he begins to uncover long-repressed memories, revealing some terrible family secrets. Gradually, the reasons why Savannah has tried to kill herself become evident.

Courtesy of overstock.com

Review:

Ugh! I don’t even know where to start! The Prince of Tides was boring and pointless, not to mention a huge waste of my time. The book was one big build up that went nowhere! I seriously have to learn to stop forcing myself to finish books I’m not enjoying. I give it a 2/5.

The Five People You Meet In Heaven was wonderful, I agree. I have Revolutionary Road on Mount TBR (which is growing by the day) and am unsure as to whether to bump it nearer the top. What do you think? friends3.gif

The Five People You Meet In Heaven was wonderful, I agree. I have Revolutionary Road on Mount TBR (which is growing by the day) and am unsure as to whether to bump it nearer the top. What do you think? friends3.gif

Mac, I wouldn't go bumping it up to much. I'd say wait till you want to read something that's a tad boring and truly depressing, but very well written. =)

I like the blurb on the Price of Tides will have to put that on mt TG list :)

Heather, if you ever get around to reading it I'd love to hear your thoughts. It sounded like a great book and came highly recommended, but I really disliked it.

Mac, I wouldn't go bumping it up to much. I'd say wait till you want to read something that's a tad boring and truly depressing, but very well written. =)

Understood and duly noted, thanks Bookworm! friends3.gif

ThePerksofBeingaWallflower.jpg

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Synopsis:

This is the story of what it's like to grow up in high school. More intimate than a diary, Charlie's letters are singular and unique, hilarious and devastating. We may not know where he lives. We may not know to whom he is writing. All we know is the world he shares. Caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it puts him on a strange course through uncharted territory. The world of first dates and mixed tapes, family dramas and new friends. The world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite.

Through Charlie, Stephen Chbosky has created a deeply affecting coming-of-age story, a powerful novel that will spirit you back to those wild and poignant roller coaster days known as growing up.

Review:

My only criticism for The Perks of Being a Wallflower is that I wish the author hadn’t crammed four years of high school experiences into one year. The fact that Charlie went through all the events in the book during one calendar year was beyond unbelievable to me. Other than that I have to say that I enjoyed the book very much. I thought it was blunt, honest and sweet. I give it a 4/5.