The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

Kate

Waterstones Synopsis:

When a huge cyclone transports Dorothy and her little dog Toto from Kansas to the Land of Oz, she fears that she will never return home again. She and three friends she meets along the way make their way to the Emerald City where they hope to find the Wizard of Oz and have their wishes granted.

Having seen the film many times I was excited to read this book, and I wasn't let down. Dorothy is taken in her house to the Land of Oz in a cyclone and there she meets some great characters: the Tinman, the Scarecrow and the Lion. With her friends and Toto in tow, she embarks on many adventures to get to see the Wizard of Oz.

This is a very well written book and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The book is full of the adventures you expect, including killing the witches and the Queen Mouse. I loved how Baum writes - he is engaging and the events are gripping. Even though I knew what was going to happen I was hooked and loved the stories.

My favourite character was probably Dorothy. She bought the best out of everyone but ultimately was an innocent little girl who loved her family and just wanted to get home. I just liked her attitude and the way she was so welcoming to everyone.

On an interesting note: the witches shoes in the film are ruby red, but in the book they are silver! My Mum informs me that they changed the colour because silver did not show up enough in the film :-)

This is a great read for both adults and children, and it made me want to watch the film again!

3/5

This is where I got the audiobook: http://librivox.org/the-wonderful-wizard-of-oz/

I read this recently, having found it available on the internet for free download. Like a lot of people I think, I didn't realise it WAS a book up to that point, the film having overwhelmed the book. I loved it, in part because of the extra bits that aren't in the film

Ian

Heeyy !! You might think I'm an idiot not to have known that but.... I didn't know there was a book :tong: !!!!! I HAVE to read it !!! :lol: I'm SO excited !!!!!!!:blush:

Not to mention the 13 sequels