What is your all time fave "Book" related film??

acliffe85

Sorry if this post has been done before new to this site and havent ready all the posts lol.

So what is your all time fav book related film? or film will books in it??

I am sat watching "You Got Mail" Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan. I love the little book store that Meg Ryan owns i wish i had one like that in my local town.

I love You've Got Mail too. :blush:

If I can extend it to TV shows as well, I'd nominate the brilliant Black Books.

Otherwise I can only think of TV shows and movies where the occasional scene is set in a bookstore, such as Gilmore Girls and When Harry Met Sally.

There's also Dead Poet's Society, which features some great book-related scenes (tearing the intros out of their poetry textbooks, and when the teacher gives the book of poetry to the students).

There's The Neverending Story and The Princess Bride, both of which are based on the reading of a book.

And there are some great book-related scenes in one of my favourite movies, Pleasantville.

I'll join in on the love for You've Got Mail - I want to own a bookshop just like "The Shop Around The Corner" (and then if that's successful, maybe add another one like the "Fox Books" :blush:)

My other favourite book related films:

One of my top three films ever is A Room With A View with Judi Dench as author Eleanor Lavish, whose book provides an uncomfortable time for Lucy, while the supercilious, unctuous Cecil delights in his pompous reading of it.

Notting Hill - lovely little travel book shop

I absolutely adore Crossing Delancy partially set in a bookshop.

Stranger Than Fiction was not wholly successful for me, but unusual and interesting.

The completely lovely Little Women where Jo understands how to become a great writer.

84 Charing Cross Road is simply a classic.

I'm sure I'll think of some others too!

I adore You've Got Mail. :blush:

Other favourites of mine are:

- The Princess Bride

- A Room With A View

- Dead Poets Society

- Stand By Me (the main character is writing down the story of what happened to him and his friends as kids, as he grew up to become an author. Does that count?)

- Inkheart

I adore You've Got Mail. :blush:

Other favourites of mine are:

- The Princess Bride

- A Room With A View

- Dead Poets Society

- Stand By Me (the main character is writing down the story of what happened to him and his friends as kids, as he grew up to become an author. Does that count?)

- Inkheart

The Neverending Story. No doubt, even though it's nowhere really true to the book, I have read the book several times already too, but this movie is my childhood classic.

I haven't seen the Princess Bride, I know, it's horrible I haven't.. it's in my dvd cabinet, I bought it last year but haven't gotten around to watching it.

I love Black Books too, so funny. :blush:

Despite what many believe, The Shining is a fantastic film, it just basically flips most of what was in the book to the opposite spectrum, Kubrick was a true genius at what he did, he would never make a mere adaptation, which is a little sad at the same time, but hey I adore the novel and film on their own grounds.

I also love the adaptation of Fight Club, it's brilliant. Fincher really got the tone right.

I thought Sahara was pretty neat too, the Clive Cussler adaptation, the characters had that 'just right' chemistry which the series of books has.

The Inkheart trilogy is great, you should definitely give it a read.

My favourites would probably be You've Got Mail and Dead Poets Society...yeah they've both already been said a lot but there's a reason for that - they're classics!

Despite what many believe, The Shining is a fantastic film, it just basically flips most of what was in the book to the opposite spectrum, Kubrick was a true genius at what he did, he would never make a mere adaptation, which is a little sad at the same time, but hey I adore the novel and film on their own grounds.

It's fantastic-ness is highly debateable, Rawr, at least in my eyes, but it's all subjective so to each his/her own, right? :irked: I always thought it was tragic that Kubric didn't do a mere adaptation, and wished he just would've left the novel alone.

I agree with you on Stand By Me, Kell. Excellent :smile2:.

The Shining ~ The film is just phenomenal as is the book, I don't think Stanley Kubrick could have done it any differently.

As mentioned 'Stand by Me' (known as 'The Body' in the novella, 'Different Seasons'), again the story and film are fantastic.

Also mentioned 'The Princess Bride' by William Golding, what's not to like, great film and book (the only thing I don't like about the book is how William Golding is with his own son).

Random but my favourite line from 'The Princess Bride' (the film) ~

Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Edited by Weave