84 Charing Cross Road / The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street by Helene Hanff

Janet

Yes, I loved 84 Charing Cross Road as well. I always thought Helene Hanff would have been at home on the Book Club Forum :D.

In fact, I went looking for the building in my lunch hour a while back, just out of curiosity. The closest I could get was that it looks like the site of a branch of "Subway" now. How tragic is that?

I read somewhere that there is (was?) an "All Bar One" on the site now, with a small, fairly insignificant, brass plaque marking the site of the bookshop!

I think you're right that she would have liked it here! :D

I read 84 Charing Cross Road very recently, and loved it. I also have the edition with The Duchess of Blomsbury Street in it, but haven't read that yet.

I think 84 Charing Cross Road will be a book I will reread - it was so charming and amusing, and a very quick read too.

Edited by Ruth
spelling

This is one of my favourite books and I read it at least every year (I'm on my third copy which my Dad bought for me:D).

It is also one of my favourite films as to make it must have been a challenge but I thought it worked so well with Anthony Hopkins and Anne Bancroft.

A real feel-good book (and film):D

Though it's at 108 Charing Cross Road, the remainder shop Bookends is considered the heir of 84 for some reason... I used to know the reason but I've forgotten it :D I'll have to go and refresh my memory on site one of these days, then I can report back.

I read somewhere that there is (was?) an "All Bar One" on the site now, with a small, fairly insignificant, brass plaque marking the site of the bookshop!

I think you're right that she would have liked it here! :D

Aha! My numbering let me down, obviously. All Bar One's gone, too (the curse of 84 Charing Cross Road, perhaps? :D) - it's now a Med Kitchen. I'll have a look next time I'm that way. Mind you, if there's a plaque, it certainly must be a small one..

Though it's at 108 Charing Cross Road, the remainder shop Bookends is considered the heir of 84 for some reason... I used to know the reason but I've forgotten it :D I'll have to go and refresh my memory on site one of these days, then I can report back.

Bookends is gone, too, I'm afraid. High West End rents, most probably. It's now vacant, but with a big red "Korean Ginseng" fascia.