Why I love books?

Mods please feel free to move this if necessary, was not sure where to put it!

I have an interview soon (am teacher) where I have to share a passion with a class of children. I have chosen books :D and thought it would be nice to share some quotes from people about why they love books. Would you mind sharing a line or two? Also interested in people who used to hate reading but love it now (if there is anyone like that on here;) )

Anyway once again hope this is ok to post:)

I cant say i have hated reading but more frustration that i couldn't read. I was 11 years old when i really started to get into reading but found that i was behind everyone else of my age. I was very frustrated i wanted to read so i suck with it and i still get frustrated now (aged 25) and again that i do take a long time to read a book. So what i would say no matter how frustrating it is dont give up keep with it!

Hi TLN!, I found this old thread that may help. :D

For myself I love books because through them I can be anyone, at any time, in any place.

They teach me, comfort me, inspire me, amuse me and stretch me intellectually.

Through reading I am smarter, calmer, nicer and quieter.

Edited by Chrissy
I used the wrong smilie!

There are many reasons I love books.

I'm constantly chasing the next reading 'high'. The joy of finding a book that stops your life. I have no choice but to find out what happens next, so drawn into the world that the author has created that lifes mundanities have to wait til I've finished.

I love passing on a book that I've enjoyed especially when the person really enjoys it too.

I love it when I read a book that I know my friends will love.

A great topic for your interview. I hope it goes well.

Hope you'll let us know how you get on. :D

Hi The Library Nook,

How are you? :D

I love reading because I lose myself in what I am reading and I get a lot of pleasure from reading, I can't remember a time when I did not read. :D

Hi The Library Nook,

How are you? :D

I love reading because I lose myself in what I am reading and I get a lot of pleasure from reading, I can't remember a time when I did not read. :D

Hi I am good! Well not good because I don't seem to have a life at the moment but good as in I have my health:)

Thanks for the reply!

It's an interesting question.

I love books because they are doors in different worlds and lifes. I like it when I am really absorbed, when I feel with the people in the book, when I can be happy or angry or sad for them, when I can hope and dream about the things that will happen. Books, they provide such a lot of possibilities. Many different worlds, and they make me laugh and cry and think about topics I won't think about without reading.

Edited by Julia

I don't remember a time when I didn't love books. Ever since I was tiny, I've been enchanted by books. At first it was the pictures which transported me to other worlds, then, as I grew older, the words conjoured up the pictures and the worlds grew even more amazing.

I love escaping to other times and places, becoming other people, experiencing different lives for a few moments.

I love books because they feed the basic, instinctual need which all of us have to be told stories; because within their pages I always find freedom, inspiration, and hope for mankind; because through them I can enter into communion with the soul of another and emerge with a mind more open, as well as a heart more full; because, for better or worse, masterpiece and dross alike, every book I read helps shape me into the person I'm meant to be.

I love books because they are such an inspirational way to convey ideas, opinions and experiences. They explore characters, scenarios etc. and are able to place us inside a story to share the experiences of the characters. They take us away from ourselves and our inherent narcissism and let us experience a little bit of the lives of others.

I love reading and have always preferred it to any other form of entertainment. For me it is a way of escaping my current life and any worries that I have into someone elses world, seeing someone elses views and getting involved with people in the form of the characters who I would otherwise never have 'met'.

I love books because they make me think. They educate and can inspire you to learn more about a subject. (For instance, I love Philippa Gregory's Tudor novels. I know that they are fact-based fiction, but reading them made me want to find out more about the Tudor period.) And they are a form of escapism and relaxation. I think out of all those, the most important thing is that they encourage you to to think.

Also, they expand your vocabulary!

One of my favourite quotes about books and reading is:

"It wasn't until I started reading and found books they wouldn't let us read in school that I discovered you could be insane and happy and have a good life without being like everybody else." - John Waters

Edited by Ruth

Books allowed us to travel the world and experience different cultures long before airplanes and vacation trips became common. In a way, books are like one single key that fits many different locks. They open up portals to new worlds, teach us about experiences we may never personally encounter in our lifetime and provide us with hours upon hours of entertainment and escape.

To read is the ultimate entertainment fufillment because instead of 'zoning out' like one would to the television or even to music (sorry! I love both, don't get me wrong!) it forces us to become creators within ourselves and add our own little features and quirks to the characters and setting. We take control and use the writer's words to paint our own world within our minds.

I love reading because I can go anywhere and be anyone and do anything. It's like you get to live hundreds of lives, instead of just the one that you are given.

Also, I think it's the closest you ever get to actually being inside someone elses head. You get to share their thoughts, and there is no greater joy for me than finding one of my own thoughts or beliefs expressed more beautifully and accurately than I could ever manage myself.

I prefer books to films because books are so personal. Everybody who watches a film sees exactly the same film, but everybody who reads a book interprets it differently. You have a different idea of how people and places look, and I think it makes it a very different book.

Finally, I love books themselves as real tangible objects, because before you have read them they are just paper and ink. But between their covers they contain a whole world, and once you have read them they never go back to being just being paper and ink.

Sorry that's probably a longer answer than you wanted! :blush:

Most of the reasons why I love books, have already been given in this thread. Some in excellent words. :blush:

From the moment I learnt to read, I loved books. As already stated in this thread, you can have many adventures, see all kinds of places and meet various people just by reading books. They also help to understand life better and sometimes offer solutions to problems you're having in real life.

In addition to fiction, I like non-fiction as well, because it's such a joy to gain more knowledge about a subject which fascinates you. Non-fiction can be as addictive as fiction.

I could live without television, dvd's, cd's and radio, even without human contacts, but not without books. Books have been the only reliable factor in my entire life. I can't imagine life without books. :(

Library Nook, good luck with this and with everything else you need to do for your job. :)

Edited by sadya