Equilibrium

Reid

Last weekend, about midnight I was flicking channels and happened to catch the beginning of this amazing film.

I literally couldn't go to bed until I had watched it all!

So rarely do I see a film that has me thinking about it the next day.

Not wishing to post spoilers to those of you who havent seen it, so I wont, only to say it is an intelligent sci-fi and action film, set in the near future after world war three.

This film was only released in a few cinemas back in 2002, so I'm sure there are many people who haven't even heard of it (like myself) and I just wanted to suggest it for viewing.

I could seriously gush about Equilibrium, but I dont want to spoil the plot.

I would just say, I seriously recommend this film.

:lol:

I've seen it and loved it too :) the plot might not be entirely original (it owes a lot to Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, for instance, as well as Alan Moore's V for Vendetta comic), but it's incredibly well acted and filmed; visually it reminds me of The Matrix but I found Equilibrium to be scarier and more important, if you will. Definitely one to watch out for, and don't forget the hankies (for those in the know, I shall just say this:

puppies :lol: and, tread softly for you tread on my dreams :lol::cry2::D

).

so glad you liked it too :lol:

you're totally right, not entirely original and a dystopian future has been written many times, i just felt this had something about it. Christian Bale was excellent and perfectly cast. It was more thoughtfull than I had expected.

Compared to The Matrix I found it more important as well, it has a wonderful message.

The action is slick and allows the film to be enjoyed for the action as well as the deeper meaning.

It moved kind of slow, but i was totally absorbed.

One of the parts that I loved the most was when he rips off the film covering his window. So simple and quick and yet it covered so much of the film's message in one small scene.

I might have to watch it again tonight with my husband as he was asleep on the sofa when I saw it!

:lol:

Edited by Reid

I love this film and have seen it a number of times, Christian Bale is a very good actor (and I fancy him :lol:) and unlike Keanu Reeves in the matrix he can actually act. Its quite beautifully shot with lovely use of colour even if it is a little fluffy.

Fantastic movie, one of my favourites, Christian Bale is fantastic in it, great story :lol:

Equilibrium is one of my favourite films - very intelligent and powerfully performed. Stunning choreography with the gun kata too - really beautiful.

Equilibrium is one of my favourite films - very intelligent and powerfully performed. Stunning choreography with the gun kata too - really beautiful.

Couldn't agree more. I loved this film. I found it a kind of mix of 1984 and The Matrix. I think Christian Bale's performance is excellent (well actually, all the performances are).

hmm I remember it being a bit of a mashup of several different films but just for you Reid I will cycle back and look at it again soon!

aw, thanks :lol:

i dont expect everyone to like this film of course, i just knew it wasnt widely released and wanted to share.

i'm pleased so many of you liked it.

Well not much more to add. I love this film, I love Christian Bale, always have, Sean Bean is my true love though. :) This film does feel like a mash up of several dystopian books (not films) but that can only be a good film. It suggests a future that might be, though I think it never will, think there's enough people going against it to prevent it. Still, the idea..

Good film.

Oh and as a defence, I do LOVE the Matrix too. Keanu Reeves might be as he's acting the same part over and over in every film he does... but I do love the Matrix trilogy too.

I saw this the other day for the first time and was stunned I have never heard of it before, it is like a cross between Fahrenheit 451, nineteen eighty four and the matrix all of which I love. It was a nice surprise to see a movie that I enjoyed so much but knew nothing about.