pontalba's 2010 Reading List

pontalba

Now, you see...I really enjoyed Her Fearful Symmetry. I guess I quite enjoy all the brou-ha-ha about spirits and souls and all that jazz. I also liked the colour and tone of the novel. Very different from The Time Traveller's Wife. I'll actually look forward to her next novel.

We're all flowers in a garden, aren't we! I enjoy this thread, Pontalba. Thank you. friends3.gif

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished John Irving's A Widow for One Year. Devastatingly beautiful, moving, heart wrenching story/stories enfolded in a down to earth but lyrical prose that simply took my breath away.

Stories within and layered upon stories. Lives enmeshed over a period of roughly 40 years, entwined by grief, enduring, everlasting love wrapped up in fidelity. A marriage, death of children, a new child, inability to cope, flight, and above all Love. Lives colliding, separating, coming together in ways unimagined.

This is undoubtedly one of the most moving love stories I have ever read. More than one love story. I found myself alternatively laughing out loud, crying tears of grief and then happiness. Irving runs the gamut of emotion,

Highly recommended. Read. This. Book. !!!!

This sounds so good, I have to find it at the library! Thanks (:

Now, you see...I really enjoyed Her Fearful Symmetry. I guess I quite enjoy all the brou-ha-ha about spirits and souls and all that jazz. I also liked the colour and tone of the novel. Very different from The Time Traveller's Wife. I'll actually look forward to her next novel.

We're all flowers in a garden, aren't we! I enjoy this thread, Pontalba. Thank you. friends3.gif

What a lovely metaphor! And thanks Mac. :cool:

Yesterday I finished Night Train by Martin Amis. To say that I gritted my teeth all the way through this short book is putting it mildly. To say if it had been one page longer I'd have thrown it across the room is probably an understatement.

Please don't make me go back and find examples of Amis's poor construction, or his snotty attitude. I'd rather not have to torture myself by finding the places where whilst attempting to imitate Chandler [et als] style of detective novels he falls flat on his face. To have to go back and find his jabs at Americans in general [whilst, as I have mentioned attempting to imitate same] would be simply more than I could bear. Please! I beg of you, I can't, I simply cannot! :wacko:

On a much more satisfying note, this evening I finished The Chrysalids by John Wyndham. I'd read The Day of the Triffids decades ago, and cannot for the life of me understand why I haven't read more of Wyndham! He is simply wonderful. He was so far ahead of his time, and his low key, spare prose so beautifully descriptive that I'm truly sorry to have waited all these years to read more.

His portrayal of the hypocrisy of men seems to me to be a precursor of novels like Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale many of the Star Trek novels/programs. Ones that bring out man's inhumanity to man, and man's fear of anything different, his almost pathological need to destroy...Wyndham had to be among the first of that writerly breed.

A story of a group of young people that have a gift, one that marks them as different in a society that condemns and destroys anything they consider out of the "norm". How they survive, or tragically, do not is the crux of the story. A wonderfully satisfying read that I can recommend highly.

Edited by pontalba

On a much more satisfying note, this evening I finished The Chrysalids by John Wyndham. I'd read The Day of the Triffids decades ago, and cannot for the life of me understand why I haven't read more of Wyndham! He is simply wonderful. He was so far ahead of his time, and his low key, spare prose so beautifully descriptive that I'm truly sorry to have waited all these years to read more.

I loved those two books, both wonderful reads. If you haven't read them, have a look at The Midwich Cuckoos and The Kraken Wakes as well. I remember my head teacher reading the class an extract from the latter when I was about 12 years old and it scared the bejesus out of me :lol: I read the whole book a few years later and thought it was amazing.

Shame to hear you weren't as thrilled as you thought you'd be with Sansom's Dissolution. I've read the first two, and thought they were both brilliant. Dark Fire has the slight edge, I think, so hopefully it'll show the progression you're looking for. The story's set almost exactly where I work (I work in Fleet Street, about five minutes walk from St Paul's and just around the corner from Fetter Lane, all of which are frequently used in the Sansom novels - which is quite bizarre :lol: ).

Edited by Karsa Orlong

I loved those two books, both wonderful reads. If you haven't read them, have a look at The Midwich Cuckoos and The Kraken Wakes as well. I remember my head teacher reading the class an extract from the latter when I was about 12 years old and it scared the bejesus out of me :lol: I read the whole book a few years later and thought it was amazing.

Shame to hear you weren't as thrilled as you thought you'd be with Sansom's Dissolution. I've read the first two, and thought they were both brilliant. Dark Fire has the slight edge, I think, so hopefully it'll show the progression you're looking for. The story's set almost exactly where I work (I work in Fleet Street, about five minutes walk from St Paul's and just around the corner from Fetter Lane, all of which are frequently used in the Sansom novels - which is quite bizarre :lol: ).

I have one or perhaps both of the Wyndham's you mention in the stack already, even though I can't put my hands on them at the moment. A friend of mine had recommended them to me along with The Chrysalids as she knew I loved TDoTT.

I have in fact read Dark Fire by now, neglecting to write about it in this thread. I loved it. I think almost any "firsts" of a series tend to be a bit.....I don't know exactly how to put it...but sort of dry in places. Explanations need to take place in order to set the stage for future books, and somehow that always manages to gum up the works to a small extent. I love Matthew's character, and the way Sansom shows the way Henry's libido affected the course of not only the country [naturally], but private lives. Intellectually we know this, of course, but to actually see those effects is something else entirely.

So neat you work in such a historical area! I had a friend many years ago, an English doctor...she had interned at a hospital, can't remember the name, that was 900 years old. Can't touch that time frame here, even in New Orleans! LOL

I had a friend many years ago, an English doctor...she had interned at a hospital, can't remember the name, that was 900 years old. Can't touch that time frame here, even in New Orleans! LOL

:lol:

Ah, but you probably know all the places that Louis and Lestat went to in Interview With The Vampire, right? :cool::D

The daft thing is, when I was reading Dark Fire, I kept picturing the streets as they are now. I can't imagine they had many taxis and double-decker buses running around in 1540 :rolleyes::doh::lol:

Last night I finished Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination. I know it has a reputation for being one of the best sci-fi books around, but I can't say I was overly impressed by it. To me John Wyndham is so superior, not only in the actual mechanics of writing, but plot as well. It is basically a story of revenge, but the main character, Gully Foyle, is never internally developed to my satisfaction, being left as sort of a paper-mâché, Everyman.

I do love the innovative idea of what Bester calls "Jaunte", a sort of leaping or beaming of one's self to another place, by mind only, and more eventually. I don't feel that aspect lived up to it's potential either, unfortunately.

Oh well, off to the shelves....... :cool:

Ah, but you probably know all the places that Louis and Lestat went to in Interview With The Vampire, right? :cool::D

The daft thing is, when I was reading Dark Fire, I kept picturing the streets as they are now. I can't imagine they had many taxis and double-decker buses running around in 1540 :rolleyes::doh::lol:

It's true, I can quite picture that!

Well, simply substitute horses, er, pooping in the road and carriages running through it. ewwwwwww! I like the modern view far better! :lol:

Last night I finished Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination. I know it has a reputation for being one of the best sci-fi books around, but I can't say I was overly impressed by it.

That's a shame! I absolutely loved that book (I only read it a few months ago). I thought Gully Foyle was a brilliant anti-hero, and I thought the whole thing had a cracking pace about it that really swept me along with it. I wasn't so impressed with his The Demolished Man, though, so you might want to avoid that one like the plague :wink:

Well, simply substitute horses, er, pooping in the road and carriages running through it. ewwwwwww! I like the modern view far better! :lol:

Well, when you put it like that ... :lol:

I read The Stars My Destination about ten years ago; I find it hard to recall exactly what I thought of it, but I seem to remember I enjoyed it reasonably well. It obviously wasn't one of my favourites, though, or I would have remembered more about it. I have The Demolished Man (an Easton Press edition in good condition that I only paid £5 for so was very pleased with myself!) waiting to be read, too.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed The Chrysalids so much, pontalba - I bought a three book Wyndham set a couple of weeks ago (The Chrysalids, The Midwich Cuckoos and The Day of the Triffids) that I am looking forward to as I haven't read any Wyndham before. :)

It wasn't that Stars was a bad book, it just didn't live up to my expectations as "one of the best ever sci-fi". I also have to suppose that reading it right on the heels of The Chrysalids was probably not a good thing for Stars. I thought that there was so much more that could have been done with Gully's character, he seemed to be so, I don't know, transparent, sort of a one-trick pony. But it's true, the action was fast paced.

Wyndham makes his characters full and fleshed out for me, I don't think you could possibly be disappointed in The Day of the Triffids or The Chrysalids. I look forward to hearing your opinion, either way! :readingtwo:

Good evening, Pontalba. I have read The Chrysalids twice - I love Wyndham, having read all of his works (I think) since I was a young lad. Magic stuff. I hope all is well with you. friends3.gif

I think I am going to devote November to "reading just for enjoyment", and so far Jo Nesbo and John Wyndham are on the list!

Glad to hear it, fine choices!! :friends3:

I've just noticed that you're on 2112 posts. You must never post again, just so it stays on that number (being the title of one of my all-time favourite albums ... :wink: ) :lol:

Whoops! :giggle::friends3:

Good evening, Pontalba. I have read The Chrysalids twice - I love Wyndham, having read all of his works (I think) since I was a young lad. Magic stuff. I hope all is well with you. :friends3:

I agree, there is just something about the characters he creates, I fell in love with Triffids right away. It's one of those books I go back and reread every so often. Just to visit. :friends3:

I couldn't remember when Triffids was written, so consulted Sir Google, Wiki came up with this...

In his book Billion Year Spree: The History of Science Fiction, Brian Aldiss coined the term cosy catastrophe to describe the subgenre of post-war apocalyptic fiction in which society is destroyed save for a handful of survivors, who are able to enjoy a relatively comfortable existence. He specifically singled out The Day of the Triffids as an example of this genre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_of_the_Triffids

Don't know that I'd agree with the term "cosy", nuthin' cosy about some of the situations I'd say!

The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje has resided 'pon my shelves for....at least a couple of years I'd have to say. Unread, passed over, time and time again.

What an outrage! :)

A wonderful story of people, vastly different culturally, politically in every way, coming together to....what, heal? Perhaps. To die? That too as well to some extent. But their stories, their stories! Love, hate, bitterness, redemption all come into play in this fascinating story of the end of WWII in an out of the way corner of the world.

Highly recommended. 4.5/5

The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje has resided 'pon my shelves for....at least a couple of years I'd have to say. Unread, passed over, time and time again.

What an outrage! :)

A wonderful story of people, vastly different culturally, politically in every way, coming together to....what, heal? Perhaps. To die? That too as well to some extent. But their stories, their stories! Love, hate, bitterness, redemption all come into play in this fascinating story of the end of WWII in an out of the way corner of the world.

Highly recommended. 4.5/5

I loved this book too and have read it a couple of times. I'm sure you'd love the movie too Pont, it's got Ralph Fiennes, Juliette Binoche and Kristen Scott Thomas in it. It sweeps back and forwards from the amazing scenery of the deserts of Northern Africa to the countryside of Italy. This left a lasting impression on me. I really should look out some more books by him. Glad you enjoyed it :friends0:

I loved this book too and have read it a couple of times. I'm sure you'd love the movie too Pont, it's got Ralph Fiennes, Juliette Binoche and Kristen Scott Thomas in it. It sweeps back and forwards from the amazing scenery of the deserts of Northern Africa to the countryside of Italy. This left a lasting impression on me. I really should look out some more books by him. Glad you enjoyed it :friends0:

Great review pontalba, I have always wanted to read 'The English Patient' and your review has certainly helped, thanks :)

poppy, I would definitely love to see the film. The descriptions of the deserts in the book were so....living and breathing, made me want to go! Plus they are all excellent actors.

Weave, Thanks! It was a bit slow starting for me, but soooo worth it!

Well, I've finished C.J. Sansom's third installation in the Matthew Shardlake mystery series, Sovereign. Loved it, far more detailed and far reaching than previous novels as well.

Sansom keeps so many balls/plot lines in the air, juggling them at a breakneck speed that boggles the mind. There is no confusion though, not a bit of it. The plot lines are clear as a bell and fascinating, especially in the "what if" arena. I don't want to give anything away, but hardly anyone is what they appear to be, and the cover up is so smoothly done, so realistically done, that it kept me wondering almost to the end. Henry's Great Progress is brought alive in all it's splendor and muddiness.

Wonderful stuff!

Highly recommended.....the whole series. 5/5

P.S. Have ordered the fourth in the series, Revelation, and hey!, number 5 is due out over here in January. :cool:

Edited by pontalba

Yay, glad you're enjoying the Sansom books :)

Sovereign's next on my TBR list, after I've finished Winter's Bone :D

Mind you, I do have a tendency to finish a book and then decide on something else entirely :lol:

Yay, glad you're enjoying the Sansom books :)

Sovereign's next on my TBR list, after I've finished Winter's Bone :D

Mind you, I do have a tendency to finish a book and then decide on something else entirely :lol:

You and me both! I envy people that can have a real list and stick to it. I love tangents though, so I guess this is the same difference. :lol: My OH is a retired engineer, and my tangents drive him crazy. But in a good way. :giggle2:

You and me both! I envy people that can have a real list and stick to it. I love tangents though, so I guess this is the same difference. :lol: My OH is a retired engineer, and my tangents drive him crazy. But in a good way. :giggle2:

Well, the good news is that Winter's Bone (which is brilliant) is only 196 pages long, so I'll finish it today, and I'm still keen on reading Sovereign next so ...

• 2 weeks later...

The Deep Blue Good-By by John D. Mac Donald 4/5

Tripwire by Lee Child 4/5

The Thief Who Couldn't Sleep by Lawrence Block 2.5/5

I seem to be on a crime spree this month, having read the above three in the last few weeks.

The only author I'd read previously was Block, but this series just doesn't stand up to his later ones for me at least, maybe because it is first in the series, thereby being a good part set-up for the character. I'll read on because Block has delivered so well in the past.

Tripwire was an exciting, fast paced, mile a minute adventure/mystery story, with the inevitable love story added in, just because they could. :) It was enjoyable as such, but certainly nothing mind bending. It did highlight a scam that must have actually happened more than a few times to do with the Vietnam War survivors/victims. Well worth the read if you take it for what it is. A plain, straight forward adventure of hulking good guys, and devious, twisted bad guys and beautiful women.

The MacDonald was my first, and definitely not my last. A philosophical detective, with loads of sense and smarts, without the usually prerequisite happy ending. A flawed good guy. Great series. Recommended for sure.