LauraLoves Reading List/Blog 2010

lauraloves

A Girl's Guide to Kissing Frogs - Victoria CLayton

1579805.jpg

synopsis - Position vacant: Prince Charming wanted. Fairy-tale castle optional. Frogs need not apply. A charming, witty novel from much-loved novelist, Victoria Clayton A girl may have to kiss a lot of frogs before she finds her Prince Charming but Marigold has found herself a real toad. As a principal dancer at the Lenoir Ballet Company, she is on her way to becoming a Prima Ballerina. She has the talent and the ballet director, Sebastian Lenoir, has her bent over backwards -- quite literally -- working her way to the top. But, when a painful fall sends her limping home to Northumberland to recuperate, Marigold fears that this could mean the end to her dreams. Luckily, her childhood friend, Rafe, who is just as delicious as she remembers him, is ready and waiting to sweep her off her feet. But, is there a handsome stranger waiting in the wings? 'A Girl's Guide to Kissing Frogs' is a charming, witty book, perfect for fans of 'Not Married, Not Bothered', 'A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian' and 'The Girls' Guide to Hunting and Fishing'.

my thoughts - I have had this book on my shelf for over a year and having finally got around to reading it, I have to say I'm a little disapointed in it. I enjoyed the story and the different romances but I have to say the ending really ruined it.

the fact that Isobel and Rafe were having a relationship, despite the fact that they are brother and sister.

apart from that I really enjoyed the book.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read one book by Victoria Clayton not long ago, and liked it. That one was called "Dance with me". I may yet read about frogs, despite what I found under the spoiler tag.

I have been debating with myself whether to read more books by her, because I really enjoyed the book, it was just the ending that I found really difficult.

There's Only one David Beckham - Stafford Hildred and Tim Ewbank.

516KQETM33L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Synopsis - This is the story of one of the most popular men in England, as told by the people who have met him throughout his career. It reveals a man whose footballing wizardry has made him a hero, but also, someone who has never let his fame obscure his natural good humor. The authors have painted a rounded picture of the England soccer maestro by speaking to the people close to him and also members of the public who have encountered him in everyday life. The story they have uncovered is one of a young man who has taken the talent that has been given him and used it to the full—someone who has become a major celebrity as well as a devoted family man and awe-inspiring footballer.

my thoughts - this was a book that I brought a couple of years ago and should have read it then as some of the facts that are in it are out of date. also it was a very basic book and accompanied with all the pictures that were it it would have been pefect for a young teen read. also at times some of the football comentry did become a bit boring. however it was a good fan book, and the jokes did make me laugh too.

Peter Pan - J.M. Barrie

Peter-Pan.jpg

Synopsis - It was Friday night. Mr and Mrs Darling were dining out. Nana had been tied up in the backyard. The poor dog was barking, for she could smell danger. And she was right - this was the night that Peter Pan would take the Darling children on the most breath-taking adventure of their lives, to a place called Neverland, a strange country where the lost boys live and never grow up, a land with mermaids, fairies and pirates - and of course the terrible, evil, Captain Hook. Peter Pan is undoubtedly one of the most famous and best-loved stories for children, an unforgettable, magical fantasy which has been enjoyed by generations.

my thoughts - although I had watched the disney film and also Hook, when I was little, I had never read the book. I was a little unsure as ut was written in 1911, I thought that I would find it a difficult read, but I need not have worried, it was a fantastic story, very easy to understand. I almost wanted to learn to fly and go to neverland myself. it is no wonder that peter pan has lasted this long and continues to keep children and adults into the story. as this was written 100 years ago nearly, some of the word meanings have changed slightly, which could confuse a younger audience. However, I absoutly loved this book, definitaly one to keep and re-read again and again.

Crazy in Love - Chrissie Manby

5128IwviJ2L.jpg

Synopsis - Golf resort heiress Birdie Sederburg's life revolves around how visible she is on the latest celebrity watch blog. Until she (quite literally, in her Mercedes) bumps into hot new actor Dean Stevenson - after weeks of stalking. Dean's agent manages to persuade him that being seen with Birdie is a good thing for his profile, and it's just a short distance from that to engagement. At least in Birdie's head. The course of true love, however, does not run smooth, and Birdie is forced to have herself kidnapped in order to convince Dean he really does love her. A recipe for disaster...

My thoughts - This book is about an heiress Birdie Sederburg, an heiress, who actually had me visualising a Paris Hilton type caracter, who will go to any lengths to get the man of her dreams. it was most definitaly a chick lit book, very easy to read, a perfect read if you are after a book that was not too taxing.

it was a very entertaining book that had me laughing a points, to start with I couldn't stand Birdie, however by the end of the book I really warmed to her and actually thought she was a likable character. A great read that I would recommend to anyone, and I will be reading more books by this author.

The Trouble with twins - Nancy Warren

51hzDxxNfiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

my thoughts - this is a mills and boon book, books that I do try to stay away from as I sometimes think the romanaces are not very belivable. I read this book in a day, not having done much else, just lazing about with it. I found this very easy to read, and it was more interesting with the dynamic of the children thrown in. however I did get a little bored towards the end with all the romance, maybe its because I'm a bit synical that love can happen that quickly and that everything is always ok happily ever after.

The Trouble with twins - Nancy Warren

51hzDxxNfiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

my thoughts - this is a mills and boon book, books that I do try to stay away from as I sometimes think the romanaces are not very belivable. I read this book in a day, not having done much else, just lazing about with it. I found this very easy to read, and it was more interesting with the dynamic of the children thrown in. however I did get a little bored towards the end with all the romance, maybe its because I'm a bit synical that love can happen that quickly and that everything is always ok happily ever after.

Interesting review Laura, I enjoyed it, I think I read a mills and boons once in a dentist waiting room :)

Interesting review Laura, I enjoyed it, I think I read a mills and boons once in a dentist waiting room :)

I thought it was an ok book, I can see the appeal to it, just not something I would read again.

I wish I could read in the dentist waiting room, all I can do is try and not have a panic attack. I hate going to the dentist :(

Leap of Faith - Danielle Steel

n58370.jpg

Synopsis - A compelling story of the power of lies, the misuse of trust and one woman’s triumph over a devastating betrayal. Marie-Ange Hawkins has the kind of childhood that most people dream of - freedom, love and security in a beautiful old French chateau. But when she is just eleven, a tragic accident marks the end of this idyllic life. Orphaned and alone, she is sent to America to live with her great-aunt on a farm in Iowa, where she is forced to work while dreaming of returning to her beloved chateau. Only the friendship of a local boy, Billy Parker, offers comfort and hope. When an unexpected visitor brings some startling news, she returns to France and meets the chateau’s new owner, the Comte Bernard de Beauchamp – a dashing widower who invites her into his home and his heart. For a time they enjoy a magical life together, until Marie-Ange hears a shocking story, so chilling that she can scarcely believe it. Not even her dear friend Billy can help her now, As the darkness gathers around her she must find the courage to take one last, desperate step to save her loved ones… and herself.

my thoughts - this was a lovely, moving book. it tells the story of Marie-Ange who is ophaned at a young age and is sent away to a different country. I loved her as a caracter, could really identify with her and really got into the book. I felt that the ending was nice as it was left open ended for the reader to make up their own mind about what happened.

I thought it was an ok book, I can see the appeal to it, just not something I would read again.

I wish I could read in the dentist waiting room, all I can do is try and not have a panic attack. I hate going to the dentist :(

:hug: :hug: M & B's do have their appeal and you gave one a try, good times! :)

Leap of Faith - Danielle Steel

n58370.jpg

Synopsis - A compelling story of the power of lies, the misuse of trust and one woman’s triumph over a devastating betrayal. Marie-Ange Hawkins has the kind of childhood that most people dream of - freedom, love and security in a beautiful old French chateau. But when she is just eleven, a tragic accident marks the end of this idyllic life. Orphaned and alone, she is sent to America to live with her great-aunt on a farm in Iowa, where she is forced to work while dreaming of returning to her beloved chateau. Only the friendship of a local boy, Billy Parker, offers comfort and hope. When an unexpected visitor brings some startling news, she returns to France and meets the chateau’s new owner, the Comte Bernard de Beauchamp – a dashing widower who invites her into his home and his heart. For a time they enjoy a magical life together, until Marie-Ange hears a shocking story, so chilling that she can scarcely believe it. Not even her dear friend Billy can help her now, As the darkness gathers around her she must find the courage to take one last, desperate step to save her loved ones… and herself.

my thoughts - this was a lovely, moving book. it tells the story of Marie-Ange who is ophaned at a young age and is sent away to a different country. I loved her as a caracter, could really identify with her and really got into the book. I felt that the ending was nice as it was left open ended for the reader to make up their own mind about what happened.

Another interesting review Laura, well done :) do you think you will read any more Danielle Steel books? :)

Edited by Weave

Another interesting review Laura, well done :) do you think you will read any more Danielle Steel books? :)

I've just started Answered Prayers by her today, as I enjoyed leap of faith so much. I didn't realise how many books that she had written, theirs loads!

Edited by lauraloves

I've just started Answered Prayers by her today, as I enjoyed leap of faith so much. I didn't realise how many books that she had written, theirs loads!

She has been one busy book writing bee :)

Danielle Steel - Answered Prayers

41ObhNkHj7L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

synopsis - Faith Madison is the very picture of a sophisticated New Yorker. Slim, blonde, stylish, married to a successful merchant banker and having raised two daughters, Faith has a life many would envy. But Faith has overcome a childhood marred by tragedy, and has carried within herself a secret she could divulge to no-one. The sudden death of her stepfather sets off a journey of change and revelation. At the funeral, painful memories flood back – and an old friend re-enters Faith’s life. Brad, a long lanky boy from her childhood days who had teased, tormented and protected her. Now a busy lawyer in California, Brad re-enters Faith’s life just as she makes a decision that plunges her marriage into crisis. As these two childhood friends rediscover each other, Faith is finally ready to face the most painful step of all: of sharing a secret that has long been haunting her, and opening up her heart for the first time in her life.

my thoughts - this was the second Danielle Steel Book that I have read. I didnt enjoy this one as much as the last, but it was still fairly enjoyable. I thought for a thicker book, it had very little plot to it. It was an easy read, and once I got into it it was ok, but I just thought it was quite slow paced. The storyline was quite good, however I did find it slightly predictable. I enjoyed the book however it would not be one that I would read again.

I would read more books by Danielle Steel if I came across them, not ones that I would specifically go out and buy.

According to wikipedia, Danielle Steele has written 83 Novels, 4 non fiction books, 14 children's books, that is a whole lot of typing! :)

Connections - Sheila O'Flanagan

51OGrvxIvCL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Synopsis - In this enchanting collection of warm, poignant and romantic interlinked short stories Sheila O'Flanagan transports her readers to the Caribbean island resort of White Sands, where visitors arrive hoping their dreams will come true - which they sometimes do.

In touching, poignant and delicious tales of life by the ocean, Sheila introduces some of the most likeable and interesting characters she's created. There's Tara, who's arrived with the man she wants to marry only to find that a rejected lover is planning to get in the way; Grainne, who's been sent with her husband by their children to celebrate their anniversary, and who thinks the time has come to move on. Rudy's on an idyllic break with his young son which is set for an unexpected ending; and Isobel – of ISOBEL'S WEDDING – discovers her ex-lover Nico might be staying just next door. Romance is very much alive in the hot Caribbean nights...

My thoughts - This book is almost a collection of short stories about the various guests staying at the White Sands hotel. It's quite simular to the film Love Actually with all the different caracters, however the caracters werent so interlinking as what they are in the film. It's a chick lit book, with lots of romance. I did skip the part about isobel as it is a follow up book to Isobels wedding that is on my TBR pile and I didnt want to spoil it, so I will go back to the chapter once I have read the other book.

I thought that this book was a highly enjoyable read, once I had got into the book I couldn't put it down. it is easy to get into and pick up when it is put down. I would highly recommend this book to anyone that hasn't read this yet. I warmed to all the charaters, especially the ones that I didnt think I would. there were lots of twists and turns to the various stories that kept me guessing til the end of each chapter. I would love to read more about the charaters if their was any follow up books. I already have some books by this author on my TBR pile and I would love to read more as this book was so enjoyable.

Out of the Picture - Polly Samson

mediumpicturejacket.jpg

Synopsis - Quite unlike her fair stepsisters, Lizzie is dark and secretive: 'Just like your father' says her mother. But what was her father like? Photos of him are hidden away; snatches of overheard conversation between her mother and her stepfather deepen the mystery. Only her best friend Savannah - also abandoned by her father when she was a baby - knows what it feels like to wonder, to try and piece together an earlier story. But when events propel Lizzie alone to London she stops wondering and starts searching...Beautifully evoking the ache of childhood loss, the scrappy joys of chaotic families, and the hurt and relief of understanding, OUT OF THE PICTURE reveals Polly Samson's talent for laying bare the uncomfortable truths that lie just under the skin - in every family, in every secret.

my thoughts - I was looking forward to this book and I have to say I was disappointed. The plot kept jumping about from past to present and then back again. A lot of the book was written in the present tense and I personally find it very difficult to get into a book that is written in this tense. The story in itself was quite good, with a daughter who feels like she didnt belong in her family trying to find her biological father, and all the twists and turns that this entailed, it just wasnt my cup of tea.

Nadia Knows Best - Jill Mansell

n81897.jpg

Synopsis - Twenty-something Nadia is very happily involved with her long-term boyfriend Laurie when she's rescued from her broken-down car in a snowdrift by Jay and ends up spending the night with him - entirely platonically, not that she isn't tempted - while awaiting the thaw. By the time she meets Jay again, Nadia's been dumped by Laurie thanks to his hectic jetsetting career as a model, and soon, despite all sorts of obstacles, sparks are flying between them. Until Laurie, familiar, beloved, regretful, comes home wanting to make up, and Nadia finds herself torn in half...Meanwhile Nadia's sister Clare is going out with the kind of man who never rings, her father has fallen in love for the first time since his divorce, and Nadia's mother, who abandoned the family because babies are so boring, is about to put the cat truly among the pigeons...

My thoughts - I loved this book! it took me two or three chapters to get into it, but once I had I couldnt put it down! I loved the humour in it, the different characters and how they all had different problems and how they were worked through. this was definitaly a chick lit book and I would love to read more by the author. I really disliked Laurie, and really loved Jay. A fantastic fantastic book that I would highly recommend.