Ooshie's Reading List 2010

Ooshie

The Shack by Wm Paul Young

On a family camping trip, Mack and Nan Philips' youngest daughter Missy was kidnapped and there is evidence found at an abandoned shack which suggests she has been murdered by a serial killer, although her body has not been found. Several years later, Mack receives a note (which seems to be from God) which invites him to visit the shack. His wife has a trip planned, so he goes ahead with the visit, not sure what to expect - and what he finds is:

the trinity.

I had never heard of this book until my dad gave it to me the other day; he and my mother had both loved it and thought I would find it interesting. Reading reviews on Amazon and BCF had made me a bit wary of it, and I didn't really enjoy the first part of the book much. But once Mack reached the shack, I very quickly came to enjoy it - my parents thought my 15 year old might enjoy it as well, and I will be recommending him to try it (he doesn't do much reading, though, so I'm not sure whether he will). I'm sure I will read it again some time, too. :friends0:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Earth is the Lord's : A Tale of the Rise of Genghis Khan by Taylor Caldwell

Written in 1940, this is a fictionalised account of the life of Genghis Khan from his birth until he was named emperor.

I enjoyed this book although, as with all Taylor Caldwell's books, it took me about 50 pages to get into the style of writing. I have read about a dozen of her books, and do prefer those set in America; I wouldn't recommend this as a first read for anyone wanting to try her books unless they are particularly interested in the story of Genghis Khan.

Although I enjoyed it, I probably wouldn't read it again - and I certainly won't be able to re-read this edition! It was printed in the 1970s and has been waiting for me to read it since then, and has had a couple of periods stored in garages in a cardboard box, so it disintegrated page by page as I read it. It was an odd, but slightly liberating, experience to put each page of a book in the waste paper basket as I finished it! :D

Edited by Ooshie

Tea Time for the Traditionally Built by Alexander McCall Smith

Book number 10 in the No.1 Ladies' Detective Agency series sees Mma Ramotswe trying to solve the mystery of why the Kalahari Swoopers football team has been losing all its matches for the last few months, and Mma Makutsi worrying that her old rival Violet Sephotho has designs on her fiance.

As always with Alexander McCall Smith, I found this a gentle, slow-paced, amusing read which didn't take long to finish. The literary equivalent of a comfort blanket!

I've read the first two of this series but I'm not sure I like them enough to keep buying every book in the series (I already have a few more on my TBR pile). Do they get better or are they all pretty similar? I guess I'm asking whether you think it's worth sticking with.

I find them all pretty similar, Kylie, and I certainly wouldn't say they get better. I tend to save them for when I'm feeling like something easy and "nice" that's quick to read and I won't have to think too much about. If you're not enjoying the early ones much, I doubt whether you would like the later ones any more.

The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets' Nest by Stieg Larsson

In this third and final book in the Millennium trilogy Lisbeth Salander, recovering from life threatening injuries, is at risk of being locked away permanently in a psychiatric facility as she is being prosecuted for attempted murder. The Swedish state security police are behind this prosecution, and journalist Mikael Blomkvist and Millennium magazine are working hard to discover the truth in time to help Lisbeth.

I have enjoyed all three books in the trilogy, and feel very sad that Stieg Larsson died before being able to publish any more work. At 743 pages this book isn't a short read, but it only took me about three days to finish as I found it a gripping read and it kept me reading far too late into the night! I did find a few of the political sections a bit hard going, but they were only a couple of pages long and far outweighed by the enjoyable nature of the rest of the book.

I have no idea why I've missed your The Perks of Being a Wallflower review, but I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it! I had a difficult time with it in the beginning, I couldn't see myself getting attached to the main character but then it all clicked. Such a lovely read, definitely re-read material :) And another novel you might not have read if not for the GG challenge :D 

Seems like you've had really good reading experiences this month, I hope it continues on. Happy reading :)

And another novel you might not have read if not for the GG challenge :D

Seems like you've had really good reading experiences this month, I hope it continues on. Happy reading :)

I know, Rory Gilmore is definitely widening my horizons! (As if you lot on BCF hadn't added enough to my TBR shelf and wish list as it is :lol: ) I'm glad you enjoyed Wallflower too, it really is a lovely little book.

I am treating myself quite gently this month, I think, and reading mainly things I know I will enjoy! Sometimes I just need a month like that...

The Return Journey by Maeve Binchy

A book of 22 short stories, this is lovely, easy holiday reading that can be picked up and put down at any time. As always with Maeve Binchy, there isn't anything offensive or hard to cope with in any of the stories; I found them mostly quite forgettable, but if you are in the mood for something nice and gentle to read then this will do the trick.

I know, Rory Gilmore is definitely widening my horizons!  (As if you lot on BCF hadn't added enough to my TBR shelf and wish list as it is :lol: )  I'm glad you enjoyed Wallflower too, it really is a lovely little book.

I am treating myself quite gently this month, I think, and reading mainly things I know I will enjoy!  Sometimes I just need a month like that...

Haha you're quite right, it's not just the GG group but the whole forum in general, that makes our wishlist and TBR list expand exponentially! :lol: I hear you, sometimes you just want to go for books you know you'll enjoy. I think summer is that kind of a season, you want to read either comfy chicklit or great thrillers you know you'll enjoy or something along the lines. Brains need no extra work what with all the summer heat (although I hear you guys are not particularly bothered about heat, you guys having none of it this summer ... :// ) 

Edit: I just noticed you've nominated Wasp Factory for the September reading circle. Now that's a book that doesn't leave you cold! My BF recommended it many a times and since it was on the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die -list, I eventually read it. I hated it and was totally grossed by it all the while I was reading it, but when I'd finished it and I'd realised the huge twist in the end, I have to say I started to think about the novel in a whole new different way. I'm definitely going to have to re-read it again, knowing the whole 'thing'. A good suggestion, Ooshie! (Allthough I'm not going to promise to second your suggestion, I suck at reading circles, either not reading the circle book or not commenting enough on it)

Edited by frankie

Summer? I know I have heard that word somewhere, but I can't quite remember what the concept was... :intherain:

I know what you mean about The Wasp Factory, there were bits that just horrified me, particularly the bit where

he ties the kid to the giant kite and lets them be dragged off into the sky

- that gave me nightmares for ages! I think it's definitely a book that makes an impression, whether you love it or are just appalled by it.

(Did you see what I did there? Spoiler!) :woohoo:

Edited by Ooshie

You should've taken a trip to Finland this summer, we've had record breaking temperatures over hear, today it was 37,2 C and it's the highest temp ever recorded in Finland. I tell you it's not that nice, this heat, I could do with a week of rain for a change... 

I'd forgotten about that bit that you mentioned in your spoiler. There were so many nasty scenes in the novel, it's definitely not for the easily disturbed. And having said that, I want to re-read it :lol:  

Where did you find the spoiler tag?? 

37.2C? Oh, no, that's too hot! I will stick to my rain I think. When I visited my parents today, they had their central heating on! There must be somewhere with weather that's just ... pleasant?

Re the spoiler tag, when you are making your post, if you click on the Other styles box that is up near the top left corner, you can scroll down to where it says Spoiler, if you click on that then a box appears for you to enter the text you want to hide. The only problem was that I couldn't work out how to make my hidden text appear anywhere but at the beginning of what I had already typed, couldn't cut and paste, and so had to type my post again in front of my spoiler! :giggle: Maybe next time I will do better :)

I think I will probably end up re-reading The Wasp Factory soon now I have reminded myself of it, even if it isn't chosen for the Reading Group.

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

Richard Mayhew helps an injured girl he finds in the street, and becomes involved in helping her escape from killers who are hunting her. He accompanies her on her return to London Below, a place loosely related to the London Underground map and full of strange characters (a real Angel called Islington, the Black Friars etc) and quests.

Thank you yet again, BCF for helping me to discover this book and author, neither of whom I had ever heard of before! This is an exciting fantasy, wonderfully well written and imaginative, that I am still thinking about now - several days later and having read another book and a half since.

I definitely want to read more of this author - yet more books to add to my wish list...

MSC.jpg

Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian

This is the first of the 20 volume Aubrey-Maturin series of naval adventures in the time of Nelson, and follows Captain Jack Aubrey and Doctor Stephen Maturin as they meet for the first time and become friends. Set in 1800, the book is full of descriptions of life at sea on a sailing ship and battles between ships, and really brings that way of life alive for the reader. There is quite a lot of humour in the writing, too, and I read most of it with a smile on my face - when there wasn't a joke that was amusing me, then it was pure and simple enjoyment!

Edited by Ooshie

PCP.jpg

Post Captain by Patrick O'Brian

The second in the Aubrey-Maturin series, I enjoyed this book even more than the first. Jack and Stephen have plenty more sea-faring adventures, but more time is spent on land (much of it attempting to avoid people pursuing Captain Aubrey for debts). There is also more of a concentration on matters of the heart, and the two main characters start to be more fully fleshed out.

I really wanted to go straight onto the third book in the series, but I was a bit worried that I might make myself fed up with them, so I will leave the next one for a couple of weeks!

FRA.jpgThe Franchise Affair by Josephine Tey

Robert Blair is a lawyer in a small English town in the 1940s, and his predictable life is turned upside down when two eminently respectable local ladies (a mother and daughter) who live alone in a large, isolated house outside town are accused of kidnapping an innocent schoolgirl and holding her hostage. Initially reluctant to take the case, Robert becomes more and more involved as he tries to find the proof that his clients did not commit this crime, and the girl is not all she seems.

This story was apparently based on a real case in the 18th century, but the author updated it to the 20th century. It took me a little bit of time to get into the rhythm of the writing, and some of the attitudes of course seem very outdated, but it was an enjoyable story that I read quite quickly as I very much wanted to find out what happened in the end. :)

Picture Perfect by Jodi Picoult

Cassie wakes in a graveyard, injured and with total memory loss - she can't even remember who she is. As she stumbles onto the street, she is rescued by a half Sioux police officer who takes her in until her husband (a famous Hollywood movie star) identifies her and she returns home. But is her life as perfect as it seems? Can she take her adoring husband at face value?

I have read quite a lot of Jodi Picoult books, and have enjoyed them all. I did enjoy this one too - but half way through I found that I had forgotten that it was by Jodi Picoult and was thinking of it as a Danielle Steele book, albeit slightly more in-depth than Danielle Steele's usual. Danielle Steele is one of my occasional guilty pleasures, so it didn't spoil my enjoyment!

I see that the book was originally published in 1995, and to my mind Jodi Picoult's writing has improved considerably since then. I wish I had noticed before I bought the book, though, as authors re-releasing their earlier and less accomplished work once they have become established and popular is one of my pet hates.

TKM.jpg

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Widowed lawyer Atticus is bringing up his young daughter Scout and her older brother Jem in a small town in Alabama in the 1930s, when he takes on the case of a black man who is accused of raping a white girl. At the same time, Scout, Jem and their friend Dill are obsessed by a local recluse (Boo Radley). The book addresses injustices and prejudices of various sorts, and the loss of the childhood innocence of the friends during the events of the year.

This was the first time I had read the book, although I had seen the film starring Gregory Peck several times, and I enjoyed the book just as much as I have enjoyed the film. Some of the language used in terms of race can seem uncomfortable now, but it serves as a reminder of how things were (and still are sometimes). It is a stark reminder of how black people (and women!) were regarded in those times, beautifully contrasted with the goodness inherent in Atticus and his children.

Edited by Ooshie

A Room Swept White by Sophie Hannah

On the same day that TV producer Fliss Benson finds out that her boss is leaving and that she is going to be promoted (for which she feels utterly unprepared), she receives an anonymous card at work with a series of numbers on it that don't mean anything to her. With her own personal tragedy still affecting her, the prospect of having to produce a documentary about miscarriages of justice regarding mothers wrongly accused of murder after their children die of cot death fills her with horror. More of the mysterious cards appear - who is sending them? How are they connected with the cot death mothers and the doctor whose evidence sent them to prison?

I didn't enjoy the first half of this book much, as it seemed nothing more than a re-hashed version of well known injustices linked to cot deaths, but the unfolding of the mystery in the second half of the book did catch my interest. The police officers who have appeared in her other books are also in this one, and I would have enjoyed a bit more about the relationship between Charlie Zailer and Simon Waterhouse, but this can easily be read as a stand-alone novel.

An enjoyable enough book, but not one I will rush to read again.

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson

Robert Neville, perhaps the last man on earth not to have been infected by the plague that has turned everyone else on the planet into a vampire, hunts vampires by day and is trapped in his well-defended house by night as the creatures taunt him and attack his home.

I found this book absolutely gripping, and also very moving in places, and thoroughly recommend it to any horror/sci fi fans.

I wish the cover of the version I bought didn't have Will Smith on it, though, as the film is nothing at all like the book - particularly the ending.

• 2 weeks later...

Son of a Witch by Gregory Maguire

The Wicked Witch of the West is dead, and Dorothy has headed home. But what happened to Oz next? A young man, Liir, who some think might be the Wicked Witch's son, is found battered and in a coma. This is the tale of what led him to that point, and what happened once a novice in the Cloister of St Glinda, Candle, brings him back to life.

Another book I would never have read if not for the Rory Gilmore Challenge! Having read Wicked, I just had to read this too. Quite a lot of it I didn't enjoy as much as Wicked , but overall I found it a good read and will be interested to find out what happens next in the saga.